Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Another Digital Camera question...

Message Subject: Another Digital Camera question...
Jason Bomber
Posted 3/25/2008 1:29 PM (#309646 - in reply to #309643)
Subject: Re: Another Digital Camera question...

RiverMan - 3/25/2008 12:53 PM

"Mike,

The lengthy delay you are talking about may just be a result of the image size selected on your camera. If you haven't already, change the size of the image to something smaller like what you would use to email someone instead of something with tons of pixels. With an 8megapixel camera the delay is probably the camera storing the huge image. Just a thought. "

This makes NO sense.

Why would you buy an 8mp camera to take 3mp pics?

I'm sure some of these pics will end up in MHM or another mag/ad so lower res is probably not an option.

Always have your camera set on the highest res!

Edited by Jason Bomber 3/25/2008 1:32 PM
Will Schultz
Posted 3/25/2008 2:30 PM (#309659 - in reply to #309067)

Another vote for the Olympus Stylus shock and waterproof cameras. Just got one for my wife at Christmas and it is a great camera w/ fast recycle time. On days when I don't want to get my D-70 wet the Olympus will get the call.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1314&...

Edited by Will Schultz 3/25/2008 2:32 PM
RiverMan
Posted 3/25/2008 4:40 PM (#309673 - in reply to #309646)

Jason Bomber - 3/25/2008 1:29 PM

This makes NO sense.

Why would you buy an 8mp camera to take 3mp pics?

I'm sure some of these pics will end up in MHM or another mag/ad so lower res is probably not an option.

Always have your camera set on the highest res!

Hi Jason,

Digital cameras come with a "small, medium, and large" setting because the manufacturers recognize that not everyone needs a super high pixel count image for what they are doing. Keep in mind, the images you see on your computer will only be as good as the pixel count on your monitor (or fish finder).

A 2MB photo like you would get from a "high" setting is not needed if you are going to do nothing more with it than upload it to a web page or email it to someone. Have you ever gotten an email photo from someone that is 2MB in size and you sit around the computer for two minutes while it downloads? Now if you intend to enlarge the photo for a desktop wallpaper, or to print and frame, archive them for some reason, then yes by all means use a larger setting which leaves your options open for the future. Keep in mind too that if you are storing 1-2MB photos by the hundreds you will gobble up the hard drive space on your machine very quickly. Bottom line, use a medium to small setting for most photos and the quality will be more than good enough.

Riverman.

Edited by RiverMan 3/25/2008 4:43 PM
Boatside bruiser
Posted 3/25/2008 5:57 PM (#309682 - in reply to #309067)
Subject: RE: Another Digital Camera question...

MIKE, MAKE SURE THE CAMERA YOU BUY HAS A POWER HANDLE..LOL CANNON MAKES ONE'S WITH BIG SCREENS
sworrall
Posted 3/25/2008 6:26 PM (#309686 - in reply to #309067)

RiverMan,
That's why I posted the images earlier, showing a shot taken with the camera set at .3 mega pixel, and the other taken at 7 mega pixel, then resized to the ideal size (640X480) for the board. The second image was resized.

Shooting images for WalleyeFIRST tournament coverage, we use the highest setting possible and save every one burned to a CD. The idea is to have a Hi Rez copy available if anyone want one for print media. Then we resize them for the web at 640X480 and upload them to the board and an album.

I'd argue it's no more difficult to grab my D50 out of the waterproof Pelican than finding a little hand sized unit in the dash or somewhere in the rig, and once I have that thing pointed at the angler and fish, I will shoot extremely high quality images with color that pops and great detail, FAST.
bn
Posted 3/25/2008 6:45 PM (#309691 - in reply to #309067)
Subject: RE: Another Digital Camera question...

what if it is pouuuuurrrring down rain...do you still use your non water proof camera???
also, what about battery life in realllllly cold weather...say it's 30 degrees does your battery last all day taking shots?
the little ones like the pentax fit nicely in your front jeans pocket or inside your bibs to keep them warm so the battery life is good in cold weather...and the underwater release shots are pretty sweet too...ask Sorno!
Rebel9921
Posted 3/26/2008 12:40 AM (#309760 - in reply to #309067)

Mike... you'd might want to check out digital camcorders... taking movies and the capability of having a pic taken all in one... cant beat that... If I can remember right, Sanyo makes a good camera... waterproof... dont have to stop video to take pic then back to video... u can keep the video running and take a pic at the same time... and all those muskies you hook... you can video them underwater... including totally in-water release... for sure there'll be cool shots there...
LeMay
Posted 3/26/2008 12:01 PM (#309824 - in reply to #309067)

D2H 8g card 24 to 120mm lens SB flash.
sworrall
Posted 3/26/2008 2:12 PM (#309852 - in reply to #309824)

bn,
Yes I do. The camera is only out of the Pelican Case for a couple seconds ( kept under a console) and I have 6 shots. I use my cap bill and a little waterproof cloth draped over the housing, or a small $3.50 umbrella stored in a rod locker if I think we are going to have a complete photo shoot including video. Didn't think all the PWT and FLW weigh ins are in sunny weather, did you? That's 3 hours shooting in the rain. No problems at all. Sure it's a little more hassle, but the high quality images are worth it to me. Battery life with the Nikon D series is excellent, even in extreme cold. I carry it out on the ice quite a bit and shoot in very cold temps with no trouble. I can shoot over 450 shots and still have plenty of juice left at 35 degrees or less.

I can't tell you how many times we have looked at shots otherwise composed perfectly that are not 'fixable' enough in photoshop to use on the cover. Almost every time, the camera is a smallish pocket unit, and the light was poor enough the camera wasn't capable of compensating.

That said, if a personal memory shot is all you are after, you may not want a D series Nikon or similar SLR.

The D2H is sweet...

I think any guide who is taking shots his clients will treasure and he will use to promote his business should look into a DSLR, but that's me.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)