Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> problems with mepps mariabou blades not spinning

Message Subject: problems with mepps mariabou blades not spinning
musky12
Posted 2/23/2008 10:56 AM (#303336)
Subject: problems with mepps mariabou blades not spinning

I have a few mepps mariabous and i tried fishing them for smaller muskies and northerns but the blade would not spin unless i reeled it in at a very fast speed.....so i was wondering if you guys have had any problems with the blades not spinning unless you burn the crap out of them or its just that one bait i bought?

thanx,
musky 12

Edited by musky12 2/23/2008 10:58 AM
OrrsFishing
Posted 2/23/2008 11:03 AM (#303338 - in reply to #303336)
Subject: RE: problems with mepps mariabou blades not spinning

Hey, I also had the same problems. What I like to do to fix it is just give it a medium to hard twitch as soon as it hits the water. This seems to work every time. Plus it is just another one of those little things that those fsih dont see every time.
musky12
Posted 2/23/2008 11:08 AM (#303339 - in reply to #303336)
Subject: Re: problems with mepps mariabou blades not spinning

thanx orrsfishing, that is what i have been doing was when it hit the water just give it a decent jerk and reel in fast but then slow down when i felt the blade spinning but still out of 10 casts maybe 3 the blade actually spins sometimes less and sometimes more but just an average.i guess i may have to use some other type of little bucktail for fishing slow and use this one for burning.
thanx,
musky12

Marc J
Posted 2/23/2008 12:03 PM (#303343 - in reply to #303339)

check your blade to make sure it's not bent. if it's not, you might be able to bend it a little to fix the problem. more than likely it's a clevis problem. i never liked the clevises that mepps used, but love the bait, so your clevis might be binding. might be possible to loosen it up a bit, or you could possibly rebuild it and use a better clevis.
Medford Fisher
Posted 2/23/2008 12:11 PM (#303344 - in reply to #303336)

musky, are you talking about the Mepps Musky Marabou or the smaller ones? I have 7 or 8 of the musky marabous and throw them pretty extensively and have never had any problem with the blade not rotating. Personally, I've always thought that these were the best "spinning" bucktails as far as the blade goes. Maybe you have a bad one or maybe you're using smaller ones and they're built a little different or something. I have had this with a Llungen tail that i have, but I think I figured out the problem with that one....clevis.
Hope you can work something out.
-Jake

P.S. As Mark said, check out the blade...I have noticed that they've bent on me after fish or after lots of time on the water burning them. If they are, cup a golf ball "inside" the blad and bend it to however deep or flat you'd like.

Edited by Medford Fisher 2/23/2008 12:14 PM
musky12
Posted 2/23/2008 12:19 PM (#303345 - in reply to #303344)

i have the bigger mepps musky mariabou with the two treble hooks.i will probably just bend the hook a little and see how it works out.i will just have to try some different things out and see what works.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)