Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Jackpot / Homewrecker / Weagle

Message Subject: Jackpot / Homewrecker / Weagle
sworrall
Posted 2/7/2008 11:08 PM (#299686 - in reply to #299452)
Subject: Re: Jackpot / Homewrecker / Weagle

It's interesting to see everyone's opinions. The 'search lure' thing baffles me...why would you use a lure to search and another lure to catch? If I think a fish is in the area, I have an idea where that fish should within a few casts and pitch a Weagle to her hoping for a hit. Many times that's exactly what I get. I don't use a 'search' bait, I use a lure I expect to catch a fish on, every time. It appears I am either over optimistic, or under utilizing a technique I need to learn more about.

My Jackpots got bit alot too, but rarely hooked up for me and alot of the time the fish miss entirely. The Weagle gets more hits and sticks them better for me.
Medford Fisher
Posted 2/7/2008 11:59 PM (#299695 - in reply to #299452)

I'm with Mr. Worrall on this one (about the whole "search lure" thing).
One thing that I've notice people do is work the jackpot really quick. I really like to slow it down and wait until it's almost not moving before I "walk" it back to the other side. I really like to use quick snaps so quite a bit of water is thrown. This is another thing that kind of goes along with working it fast, it's more of just a constant zigzag that never stops. I think this may be the reason many people have problems with them not getting hooked up.
The last bit of advice I have is to buy some longer screw-eyes and leave some of the threads sticking out so that the back hook sticks out further and the bottom hook hangs lower (deeper). I just started doing that this fall and caught 5 of 6 fish on the jackpot that I did it too. Could've just been luck, but I'll find out this year.
I'm still really looking forward to throwing the Weagle this year....nothing but good words about it.
-Jake
Big Perc
Posted 2/8/2008 12:35 AM (#299699 - in reply to #299452)
Subject: RE: Jackpot / Homewrecker / Weagle

Giant Zara Spook...

Big Perc
Whoolligan
Posted 2/8/2008 7:03 AM (#299705 - in reply to #299452)

Steve, I think a lot of times people confuse the terms search, with a bait that they can use to cover a lot of water. If you hold true with what we've been taught by so many, you aren't casting to fishless water anyhow. Therefore you want to be throwing the bait with the highest ratio of hookups. Your confidence bait, so to speak. Personally if I am after a bait to cover a lot of water in a hurry, it generally isn't going to be a WTD topwater, if a topwater at all. Sometimes I might throw a chopper, or a Topraider/Rumbler, but most times when I am trying to cover a lot of water in a hurry (productive water) it is going to be a bladed bait. I think that's the general indicator of the term "search bait" that's being used. Can't say that I would use it in that manner, but OK.
WTD Topwaters, to me, are a bait that you are tossing, like Steve says, to a place that you suspect fish are (sometimes know). I'm not a guy that generally covers a lot of water with a Weagle, because I like to make them move back to me as little as possible, while maximizing the action of the bait, it has been more productive for me in that manner. Sometimes, sure, I find running it faster with minimal side to side is what fish want, but it is my bait of choice for sitting and "dancing" provoking a strike, if you will. I can't remember where I got that, that way of working it, if I could I would give credit where credit is due.
Anyhow, that's my take on it. High productive bait to cover lots of water = bucktail/glider/bobby. High hooking percentage bait to throw at that "spot on a spot" in the right conditions= Weagle.
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 2/8/2008 8:54 AM (#299721 - in reply to #299452)

I've done much better with a jackpot.
LOTWbeachbum
Posted 2/8/2008 11:46 AM (#299752 - in reply to #299452)

45"
She wanted a Red and White Jackpot - and that's what she got....

look closely and you can still see it in her pretty little lips

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Muskie Run.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_1315_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Muskie Run.jpg (83KB - 79 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1315_1.jpg (136KB - 67 downloads)
Matt DeVos
Posted 2/8/2008 12:17 PM (#299755 - in reply to #299452)

Generally speaking a jackpot can be worked much more quickly than a weagle. "Searching" is a relative term. As an example, consider that it is approaching dusk on LOTW and you've got about 5 spots on your milkrun that you want to hit before heading back to camp. Let's also say that during the day you've been having some success with topwaters but the fish have been following prop baits, not eating them. This might be a good time to use a WTD topwater. If I am short on time and have several spots to hit, I might pick a jackpot because it can be worked more quickly through an area and therefore not slow me down so much, allowing me to hit all my spots and giving me greater odds to contact a biting fish. I might call this "searching". On the other hand, let's say that on one of these spots, I know that there a huge, huge fish I want to trigger. I would likely reach for a weagle instead of a jackpot, and very slowly and methodically work this spot. I wouldn't call that "searching" since I already know the fish is there and I want to trigger it, and I'm not concerned at all about getting to any other spot......
scott24
Posted 2/8/2008 6:06 PM (#299807 - in reply to #299452)

All these testimonials about the wonders de la Weagle...I see one or two of them in my future. Too much water, too many baits, so little time.
jonnysled
Posted 2/8/2008 7:41 PM (#299822 - in reply to #299452)

if you fish a weagle like i fish a weagle steve you won't cover much water ... you understand the difference between baits that can fish spots to find active fish and then trigger baits ...

go fish a weedline with a hawg wobbler while your partner has a bucktail ...

it's a tactic used by many successfully ...

Edited by jonnysled 2/8/2008 7:45 PM
luckymusky
Posted 2/8/2008 10:52 PM (#299833 - in reply to #299684)

ive only had experience with jackpots and i agree that it is not a good hooking bait. is the weagle more heavily weighted to keep it lower in the water than a jackpot? what the heck is the diff anyway..? ive always wanted one but they go for too much on ebay for me..
Marty22
Posted 2/20/2008 11:16 AM (#302431 - in reply to #299452)

Doc's.
Both 7" and 9" work great for me. Favorite color is Black with some orange!
Awesome action and very consistent!!!!

Marty
momuskies
Posted 2/20/2008 12:48 PM (#302452 - in reply to #299452)

I just got a homewrecker. Hopefully gonna try it out this weekend along with a bunch of other baits. It looks good and has a large profile.
Nupe
Posted 2/20/2008 12:55 PM (#302454 - in reply to #299452)

How does the Mag Spook or Super Mag Spook compare to these lures?
Targa01
Posted 2/20/2008 1:04 PM (#302457 - in reply to #302454)

Was thinking the same thing about the Spook.. see more and more people talking about it..
MuskieFIRST
Posted 2/20/2008 1:08 PM (#302459 - in reply to #299452)

I'm not sure why the Weagle hooks up so much better than other zigzag topwaters other than the spacing of the three trebles and the fact fish seem to really eat the thing instead of blowing it out of the water.
tj hooker
Posted 2/20/2008 5:52 PM (#302566 - in reply to #299452)

What kinda rods are you guys using with the weagle? It was bending my rod quite a bit so i didn't use as much as i would've liked to.
Whoolligan
Posted 2/20/2008 6:06 PM (#302570 - in reply to #299452)

I throw all my WTD topwaters on a 6'9", same as I fish my jerkbaits with. There are those who will say I'm stupid, can't cast accurately, have more fatigue than a 9'+ rod, but I don't really give a rats patoot. It works, and works well.
curleytail
Posted 2/20/2008 6:10 PM (#302573 - in reply to #299452)

Some have said that you can work a Jackpot faster than a Weagle. That may be true, but I think it might be more true in comparing the old Nut Weagles to the New Mojo Weagles. I have a newer Mojo Weagle, and can work that thing pretty fast. I generally choose not to, but if you want to work it fast you can. The only limit to the speed is that a Weagle might wear you out faster than a Jackpot will while working it fast.

As far as rods, I think most guys are using 7'6"-8' MH rods. I use a MH 8' Gander Tournament Series. It's rated for 1.5-4 ounce baits and seems about right. I don't think you want a broomstick for working a Weagle. Something with a little tip bend seems to work pretty well. You still need a rod with a little beef to it for throwing a 4+ ounce bait and to work it properly, but it's not like you need a HEAVY rod to do it.

curleytail

pluggr
Posted 2/20/2008 9:31 PM (#302623 - in reply to #299616)

Viper will soon become one of your favorite WTD lures.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)