Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trolling motors

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trolling motors
Blocker
Posted 2/9/2008 1:10 PM (#299878)
Subject: Trolling motors

I am buying a new boat and am wondering what trolling motor to put on it. I have used Minn Kota's in the past but would like to consider a Motor Guide unit as well. Will be looking at 24 volt/70 pounds for whichever unit I go with. Is one better than the other?
Marc J
Posted 2/9/2008 1:32 PM (#299880 - in reply to #299878)
Subject: RE: Trolling motors

Can of worms, all I can say is I've tried both and will stick with the MinnKota. Currently run a 80# maxxum and like it alot, tough, dependable, strong.

Low budget, don't buy alot of stuff so I don't even know what else is on the market right now. You should probably think about what features (cable/power steer, auto pilot, remote, etc) are important to you and start that way.
Pedro
Posted 2/9/2008 1:38 PM (#299881 - in reply to #299878)
Subject: Re: Trolling motors

Both companies make a quality product. I have had great experience with Minnkota personally, but people I know who run motorguides will say the same thing. Look at what options you want and check out both companies.
Lunkerhunter
Posted 2/12/2008 2:27 PM (#300492 - in reply to #299878)

I like the Minn Kota. It is important that if something goes wrong, there is someone who can fix it. Minn Kota has more service locations than Motor Guide. I don't know where you live, but in the Milwaukee area we are blessed to have Ed Shilling repairing trolling motors. He is a retired electrical engineer. If you call him, he will ask you what time you would like it fixed. Then you tow your boat to his house and he fixes the motor.
AndrewR
Posted 2/12/2008 2:39 PM (#300494 - in reply to #299878)
Subject: RE: Trolling motors

Between the two, Minn-Kota seems to have the edge when it comes to innovation (cooler & more advanced) - plus it seems as if they have a wider assortment. In addition, they have dealers all across the country, so if you come across any problems, you'll be taken cared of.

The only thing that doesn't seem to make a difference is the duration of warranty as both brands come with either 2 or 3-year deals, depending on model.

I'm just basing my views by what I see on print and at the stores so it's not much to speak of. HAHA

This past weekend I bought a 'Kota PowerDrive V2 + U-sonar for $600. Although premature by about 3 months, I'd say I'm very happy with the decision I just made and can't be any happier.

Do the homework and you will come away being happy with whatever you decide to purchase.
mikie
Posted 2/13/2008 6:31 AM (#300588 - in reply to #299878)

If you have time, go to Bass Pro Shop's webpage and check out their troller selection. They have a 'rate this product' feature for each item. The MG's really get ripped for bad parts & service. I own two older MG's, it scared me! m
lambeau
Posted 2/13/2008 7:34 AM (#300600 - in reply to #299878)

i've only ever run Motorguide's, and have never had a single problem.
keep in mind that the people most likely to leave feedback on a site such as BassPro are the small minority who did have issues. MinnKota PDs are notorious for bad foot pedals, MotorGuide's get dinged for having oversized footpedals...etc. etc.

my current trolling motor is a Motorguide 24v/75lb with the wireless foot pedal. the pedal is low-profile, intuitive, and you can run it from anywhere in the boat without the hassel of wires. i've really liked it.
Shep
Posted 2/13/2008 8:00 AM (#300613 - in reply to #300600)

Minn Kota all the way.

Cable steer, go with the Maxxum or Maxxum Pro. With Universal Sonar.

On a budget, or want hand control, try the Edge.

Electric steer, go with the Terrova with Universal Sonar, and AutoPilot. Add a CoPilot, and you've got wireless on a lanyard, on the wrist, or on the rod. You could have a control on up to 10 rods! Easiest stow and deploy on the market, and a really nice foot control, too.

If you're on a bit of a budget, there is the PowerDrive series, also available with US, AP, and CoPilot. New, improved foot control that will be more reliable.

Minn Kota motors have tough Composite shafts that are virtually indestructable.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)