Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Names on baits

Message Subject: Names on baits
reelman
Posted 2/10/2008 9:52 PM (#300076)
Subject: Names on baits

Just got done spending the weekend down at the Milwaukee Musky Show and I could not believe the number of baits that do not have any names or other identification on them.

I don't know about you guys but I buy a ton of baits every year in winter. By the time I get to use them in summer I don't even remember what 1/2 of them are anymore. If I wanted to buy another one I would have to take it into a shop and walk around with it until I found one that was the same, then hope that it's the same (floating, suspending, or sinking) as the one you like.

I know that it's been brought up here before about how to tell the difference between a Weagle and a Wabull. Not trying to pick on Baldy his baits just came to mind - sorry Baldy! Would it really be that difficult to label or write the brand and model on the bait? Not only making it easier don't you think that it would increase your sales if guys knew what they were having success with?

Just thinking out loud!
musky12
Posted 2/10/2008 10:11 PM (#300083 - in reply to #300076)
Subject: Re: Names on baits

yes, reelman i agree i have several bucktails and glider that have no identification name and if i have had success on them i think of buying more but dont know what they are called.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 2/11/2008 1:35 PM (#300188 - in reply to #300083)

SHARPIE!!! across the back
Tackle Industries
Posted 2/11/2008 2:06 PM (#300200 - in reply to #300076)

About half of mine have the name. I need to start putting the name on the diving bills on my crankbaits. Problem for many is you have to pay for a new lip mold. Bucktails are easy as you can just print off a sticker. Brand is king though once your lures catch a few 50"ers!

Edited by tacklebooty 2/11/2008 2:07 PM
reelman
Posted 2/11/2008 3:47 PM (#300234 - in reply to #300076)

I understand that getting new molds would be quite pricey but the baits I was looking at were mostly the more custom and hand made, hand painted baits. These would be easy to write on before the clear coat went on. A Sharpie would not be a bad idea if the person doing the writing can do it neatly. That leaves me out!
BALDY
Posted 2/11/2008 3:59 PM (#300240 - in reply to #300234)

The white dot may be returning...

I write like a third grade kid...that's why I don't write on my baits. In special cases, I will have my wife write on them...she's not up to it on every bait I make.

Stickers under the clear coat are another way, but I like to stick to the handmade look as much as I can.

I guess I'm not sure what I'm getting at...mostly just rambling
reelman
Posted 2/11/2008 4:42 PM (#300255 - in reply to #300076)

Blady, I hear whay you're saying and I was not trying to pick on you particularily you are just the first guy I thought of, it mus be your manly good looks!

But honestly your baits look a lot like a lot of other baits out there. I use your baits and know that they are quality so I'm not saying that they are the same but they look the same. I mean seriously a round wooden musky bait is not a unique shape! Your baits have unique action but in my box at first glance look pretty much like 50 other baits in there.

My post was not intended to be a slam but more of a suggestion.
BALDY
Posted 2/11/2008 6:36 PM (#300283 - in reply to #300076)

Never saw it as a slam, Wally.
reelman
Posted 2/11/2008 8:55 PM (#300331 - in reply to #300076)

Then were good!
tmag
Posted 2/13/2008 6:55 PM (#300846 - in reply to #300076)
Subject: RE: Names on baits

Hey Guys,

I figure that I'll chime in here with a slightly different take on the "Names vs. No Names" discussion.

Personally, I prefer that the baits do not have names on them particularly if they are small batch / customs.

Why?

Simple!

When I'm out on a lake or river and I actually catch something using "one of those submarines you're casting... ha ha ha", I don't want that idiot coming up and giving my gear the 4-11 ESPECIALLY considering that 'that idiot' is probably NOT a catch-and-release guy.

By same token, I have a few friends that I fish with and, quite frankly, some of them are a) fantastic trash talkers and b) a bit lazy and undedicated, in my opinion. Thus, while I spent hours... well... actually YEARS reading websites like this one, talking with guys like you, talking with staff at places like Muskyshop, Pastika's, Thorne Bros., etc., the list can go on, searching eBay, hours on the phone, finding other shops online, subscribe and read magazines... it's endless... why should I then be the provider for these 'couch carp'? HA HA HA

But seriously, some of these guys, the minute the temp dips below 50 or the minute some rains comes in to play, they'll cancel out. And that's fine! Just don't expect me to spoon feed ya.

Believe me, these gentlemen are bright and computer literate. Just not that willing to work at it. They are often careless, as well, quickly dispersing new 'how to catch' info to the non-catch-and-release crowd with little regard.

I don't mean to sound mad, flippant or pompous but I have a LOT of respect for those like yourselves who are reading this because you put a LOT of work into the craft and you have a LOT of knowledge about the fish and fisheries.

If you're not sure of a bait's name, post a pic, you'll probably get a quick answer.

You may wish to consider leaving a slip of paper in the bait slot that contains the name or perhaps keeping a catalog in Word or Excel file (i.e. pic & name) or just saving pictures in a folder on your computer and using the name for the pic?

To me, 'the baits with no name' kind of provide a mystique, make people think and demonstrate that someone's been doin' some homework.

"Hey man, what does 'HR' stand for?"

"Ha Ha Ha... Homerun, baby... Homerun"

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)