Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> running wire thru gunnel

Reply New post
Message Subject: running wire thru gunnel
Bruce
Posted 1/27/2008 8:01 PM (#296798)
Subject: running wire thru gunnel

I have this aluminum boat that has its' skin riveted in place up into the formed gunnel. I'd like to run the bow light wire up thru so it wont lay on the floor under the seats. Anyone have any tricks that might help slide it thru easily? Seems to bind when I push it towards the bow, at the bend. Seems like it tis binding between the hull and the gunnel. Thanks. (Now back to our regular program...
mikie
Posted 1/28/2008 6:17 AM (#296840 - in reply to #296798)
Subject: Re: running wire thru gunnel

You can try to tape it to a plumbers snake if there's enough space, or try one of those electricians snakes they use to run wires thru walls. m
Chasin50
Posted 1/28/2008 7:07 AM (#296843 - in reply to #296798)
Subject: RE: running wire thru gunnel

I use an electricians fish tape. With a little patience and fanagling (sp), it works like a champ in most situations. A little tip... when you get the fish tape through, in addition to the wire you want to pull, tie on a thin but stong piece of rope. If you pull the rope through with the wire, you will then have in place a "tool" that you can use to pull wire through at a later date. You might not think you will need to pull wire again in that route, but needs change. It will be easier to tie a wire to the rope and pull that through than it will be to get the fish tape through again.

Good luck.

Edited by Chadster 1/28/2008 8:40 AM
Bruce
Posted 1/28/2008 8:21 AM (#296858 - in reply to #296798)

A problem i ran into was the bow plate is rivited and not bolted on. So I was trying to get the wire to a point where I had drilled a small hole on the inside edge of the gunnel. I tried to get the wire to that poiint but did not. I then tried to start it there and work it towards the stern but again it bound up in the bend. Are the two previous posts talking about the same device? Will it fit through a small hole?
Chasin50
Posted 1/28/2008 8:43 AM (#296864 - in reply to #296858)

Yes we are talking the same tool. It is basically a hardened steel heavy wire/small rod. It is like spring steel that coils up in to a reel. You do need a little room to get an electricians fish tape in to the desired path. The end of the fish tape itself is probably 5/8 or 3/4" the way it is bent.
vanertski
Posted 1/29/2008 6:25 PM (#297378 - in reply to #296798)

Start from the end you are coming from and use a fish tape as stated above, then pull a small diameter rope or string back thru. make a loop in wire you want to pull and loop string thru. Tape up the whole joint with electrical tape. If it is hard to pull use a little dish soap and lube it up.

Edited by vanertski 1/29/2008 6:27 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)