Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Reacting to the day

Message Subject: Reacting to the day
agrimm
Posted 1/31/2008 2:03 PM (#297944)
Subject: Reacting to the day

When planning your day on the water, one must account for the daily weather pattern - past and present.
What are your strategies for the differences in weather.
I.E. lake choice, structure, lure selection, size and presentation.

1. Overcast, cloudy, or real windy days.
Clear lakes - I will be fish tighter to deeper weeds, rock and wood/brush. I start with larger profile lures. Dawgs, DDD, 2x10's, Hang 10's. I'll start with natural colors (white, brown, perch) then if no action mix in some colors. Colder days, slow down, but keep them honest with mixing it up a bit.
Dark lakes - shallow weeds and wood. Bucktails, top water, twitchbaits, suicks, dawgs with brighter colors and speed.

2. Sunny, Calm Hot Days
Clear Water - low light fish deeper structure with large natural lures with speed. If I have to be on the water during the high sun, I'll be fishing the thermocline away from deep structure with same lures.
Dark Water - low light fish shallow weeds and break line. Midday sun, continue to fish break line and off structure thermocline. Also, check heavy slop for fish avoiding sunlight.

3. Heavy Pressure Weekends or Tournament
Fish same locations, but try something different. Speed, depth, color, size, angle, etc.

I'm know there's more vairables, but I'm just looking for discussion about actual fishing. Thanks in advance for those willing to share and discuss.

Edited by agrimm 1/31/2008 2:05 PM
nwild
Posted 1/31/2008 2:31 PM (#297954 - in reply to #297944)
Subject: RE: Reacting to the day

I don't change tactics a whole bunch based on color of water, most of the lakes I fish have at least a tinge of color to them and not many gin bottles. That said I will attack most of the lakes the same way under the same weather patterns.

Overcast or lowlight

I keep my boat just off the breakline to where the first 1/2 of my cast is on top of the weeds, rock, or flat that I am fishing and the second half of the cast is coming across and past the break. When doing this I am generally throwing tails or topwater, or rubber baits as I suspect the fish are there and active. Faster moving high percentage hookers are the rule so I can contact as many active fish as possible.

Clear days

I generally fish a cast off the break if I am fishing rock or sand breaks. I want my baits landing right at the shallow point of the break to work the break and deeper water. I will change baits to gliders and cranks, but keep the rubber baits in the lineup. On weed breaks I will generally put my feet at the weededge and look in the slop a bit more. Twitchbaits and 10" unweighted suicks are my mainstays in the weeds.

Heavy pressure

It depends a lot on the intelligence of the pressure. If people are fishing what I consider the right way, I will generally move a cast off the breaks again hoping to find the fish that were "moved" by the pressure. If the pressure is not so well thought out I won't change my presentations at all. I may try smaller or more erratic baits, under pressure conditions, but again, it all depends on where others are dropping baits.
musky-skunk
Posted 2/1/2008 10:08 AM (#298135 - in reply to #297944)
Subject: RE: Reacting to the day

There are a lot of different lake types and seasons but for the sake of keeping this short I'll imply it to my favorite lakes. Natural lakes with moderatly clear/stained water and good cabbage in mid summer.

Cloudy days) I'll usually work right on the weed edge with #10 bucktails and spinnerbaits. If this isn't working I'll switch up to a fast retrieved smaller bucktail or a mag dawg. Give it a couple hours and if nothing shows I'll then move up on top of the weeds and work that over well. I do the same things on rock reefs. I'll also creep up on the Reed line and use burned bucktails or walk the dog topwater. I really like flourescent colors like chartruese, or red with black.

Heavy winds) I usually turn the boat broad side to the wind and drift spots getting side swiped by the wind bombing casts down the weed line and on top. Bucktails, mag dawgs and some aggresive topwater. I like a mix of natural and bright colors on the same bait (ex. white and chartruese, brown and orange).

Sunny calm) I'll usually wait and go night fishing but on the days I do it I'll either grind through the cabbage or work the edge with a dawg or 9" grandma. Sometimes I'll also try burning bucktails over the tops of the weeds if the fish are holding shallow. I try more natural colors in the sun.

Pressure) My best method for pressured fish are to reel in small bucktails as fast as is physically possible, basically force feed em'. I use crazy lure colors for this like reds, hot pinks, or orange/chartruese. Normaly I'll do what I can to avoid the pressured situations though.

Edited by musky-skunk 2/1/2008 3:32 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)