Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Roberts Outdoors Bigfoot Build Announcement

Frozen
Message Subject: Roberts Outdoors Bigfoot Build Announcement
sworrall
Posted 1/17/2008 11:56 AM (#294577)
Subject: Roberts Outdoors Bigfoot Build Announcement

MuskieFIRST has been in contact with Roberts Outdoors talking about the bait that broke upon impact with the poolside last weekend. Roberts Outdoors is sending us a Press release as I type this addressing the issues and announcing the 'fix' to the issues and what to do if you have one of the baits and need it replaced.

This is the way to handle a product issue. They were more than aware something was amiss and by mid-week figured out what the problem was, and now we can confirm that:
1) there actually is a problem and 2) The company has had a chance to address it.
We are happy to announce a resolution is forthcoming.

Complain all one wants that we didn't allow anyone to bash or second guess Roberts Outdoors on this issue, it was necessary to give them the time needed to identify any issues and our absolute editorial responsibility to ensure the integrity of our published information.

In answer to accusations made elsewhere, no, Roberts Outdoors is not at this time an advertiser or sponsor here. This process is an absolutely necessary courtesy we extend to all.

OutdoorsFIRST will NEVER allow any sort of 'train wreck' discussion until all the facts are at our disposal and answers can be provided to our visitors. It's just common courtesy to everyone involved.
sworrall
Posted 1/17/2008 12:08 PM (#294581 - in reply to #294577)
Subject: Re: Roberts Outdoors Bigfoot Build Announcement, Stand By..

Here's the announcement:

Steve regarding the poolside demo in which one of my Big Foot lures exploded from hitting the cement. I will stand behind all of our products at Roberts Outdoors. After unpacking from the show I went through some of the Big Foot inventory that I had. I noticed a flaw on some of the lures which could cause it to break. I have contacted our manufacturer and the problem is now corrected. If anyone would like to send their Big Foot Lures that they purchased at the show back to me I will refund your money our let you exchange it for different Bucher Lures.

I did not intend for this to happen, the lures Joe & I tested worked perfect. I guess in the process of mass producing & trying to rush the shipment so it would be here for the show someone screwed up. I take full responsibility for the lures that were purchased and will make it right to our customers. I only brought in 48 of each color & style, to my knowledge there were around 100 lures sold at the show. I have contacted Rollie's & Thorne Bros and told them to pull the lures & send them back to me. Here is my email address, please contact me if you have a problem.

[email protected]

sworrall
Posted 1/17/2008 12:09 PM (#294582 - in reply to #294577)

A perfect example of a great company standing behind a great product. Thanks sir!
RiverMan
Posted 1/17/2008 12:13 PM (#294585 - in reply to #294577)
Subject: Re: Roberts Outdoors Bigfoot Build Announcement

You know in all fairness, just about any bait could be broken or damaged hitting the cement including some of the best made in the business.

Jed V.

Edited by RiverMan 1/17/2008 12:14 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/17/2008 12:22 PM (#294590 - in reply to #294582)

sworrall - 1/17/2008 12:09 PM

A perfect example of a great company standing behind a great product. Thanks sir!

Right on.

Just out of curiosity, what caused the breakage? What was the flaw?
Posted 1/17/2008 12:24 PM (#294591 - in reply to #294585)

"You know in all fairness, just about any bait could be broken or damaged hitting the cement including some of the best made in the business. "

wrong
muskellunged
Posted 1/17/2008 12:28 PM (#294593 - in reply to #294577)

Thats a very nice job of damage control. It's good to know that this problem is getting fixed and that the company is taking care of their customers. However, having just learned about this, I feel a morbid curiousity to see video footage of the wreckage! I realize this would not be tolerated behavior for MuskiesFirst, and for that, I applaud you.

Mike Witowski
esoxaddict
Posted 1/17/2008 12:35 PM (#294594 - in reply to #294577)

Plastic vs concrete... What do 'ya expect?

I'd bet quite a few of the plastic lures in your box would break if you whacked them against a concrete ledge on a cast. But does that really mean they are defective? In this case, the manufacturer stepped up and took responsibility for the "perceived" defect. What more do 'ya want?

Anonymous
Posted 1/17/2008 12:59 PM (#294597 - in reply to #294594)

I think the flaw should be anounced. Anyone can say that and recall a bunch of lures and make it sound like they're gonna do something about it. WHATS THE FLAW and what are they gonna do about it? Thats what I want to know.
tilky
Posted 1/17/2008 1:13 PM (#294603 - in reply to #294597)

Please send your Big Foots to
Rollie & Helen's
7542 Hwy 51 South
Minocqua, Wi 54548

You can either exchange for different lures, or get a new Big Foot sent to you when they come in(hopefully 6 weeks) or Jim will refund your money & reimburse your for shipping cost.
sworrall
Posted 1/17/2008 1:15 PM (#294604 - in reply to #294577)

The flaw is the lure can break on impact with a rock or other very hard immovable object. The material that the initial prototypes were made from was perfect, but the production run lures had an issue where the material became to brittle which has been identified and corrected.

tilky
Posted 1/17/2008 1:17 PM (#294605 - in reply to #294603)

Dear Anonymous

How many did you buy? I am taking care of the problem. You dont' have to be so negative. Life is too short to get all gassed up about a problem that I am fixing.
sworrall
Posted 1/17/2008 1:24 PM (#294606 - in reply to #294577)

I know if I hit a rock dead on with any of my $25 to $50 wood gliders, they WILL be damaged, perhaps for good.

Most of the plastic cranks I have will break if I slam them into a rock and hit the bait just right, I know, it's happened to me. hardly a warranty issue in my mind.

In this case, the problem was one Roberts felt needed to be addressed immediately, and they have done exactly that.

Pointerpride102
Posted 1/17/2008 1:28 PM (#294607 - in reply to #294606)

Thanks Steve, thats all I was looking for. Maybe we just cant use those ones with water temps below 70
tilky
Posted 1/17/2008 1:41 PM (#294610 - in reply to #294606)

Thanks Steve, for helping out.
Musky53
Posted 1/17/2008 2:27 PM (#294619 - in reply to #294577)
Subject: RE: Roberts Outdoors Bigfoot Build Announcement

I never catch any muskies in a pool or on cement anyways! LOL!!!
Musky53
Posted 1/17/2008 2:29 PM (#294620 - in reply to #294577)

I thought I had a follow once in a pool. But it was just a Baby Ruth floating by.
ShaneW
Posted 1/17/2008 2:37 PM (#294622 - in reply to #294620)

Will the "good ones" be available at subsequent shows?

Shane
reelman
Posted 1/17/2008 3:30 PM (#294631 - in reply to #294622)

Baits are not designed to hit hard objects like a concrete floor. It would be interesting to do the same thing with other baits and see how well they stand up. I'd bet that most of them would be useless after that. I know that when you smack a custom Stan Durst painted Hughs River against a big rock on the Winnepag River it sure doesn't look very good afterwards. Nor does the ribbing you take from the guys back at the cabin after showing them your destroyed $85 bait!
CiscoKid
Posted 1/17/2008 3:41 PM (#294635 - in reply to #294577)

Good to hear Robert’s Outdoors is standing up behind their product, and the issue at hand. Especially since I intend to get a couple of these before the year starts.

Was this during a poolside demo, or one of the late night lure durability tests that are known to happen at these shows?

In my opinion, negligence shouldn’t be considered a flaw at all. I recall casting a 10” Jake into a bridge one time, and the darn thing exploded! I guess I could have pulled the “This lure is defective” crap and got a new one, but silly me I chalked it up as me eating too many retard sandwiches that day and blamed myself. I also recall another time launching a balsa wood crank onto a dock like a scud missile. Guess what, the head of the bait exploded! Must have been a defective bait as my depth perception that day was “dead on”.

You get the point.
musky-skunk
Posted 1/17/2008 3:53 PM (#294641 - in reply to #294620)

Musky53 - 1/17/2008 2:29 PM

I thought I had a follow once in a pool. But it was just a Baby Ruth floating by.

Hahahaha, gotta love Cady Shack!!!

Most lures I have made of high density plastic may chip or even crack on impact with rocks, many just bounce off. Some like gramdmas for example are fairly easy to break the lips off on a hard impact (bad cast=angler error). However a lure that "explodes on impact is most likely defective, and the folks at Roberts said there was a flaw they discovered. It doesn't matter though!! Roberts Outdoors has addressed the defect, and is taking measures to correct the problem. I own enough topraiders and depth raiders to know they make good products... sometimes accidents happen though. Thank you [Roberts Outdoors] for handling the error in a professional way, you most certainly haven't lost any of my business.

Andy

Edited by musky-skunk 1/17/2008 3:57 PM
nwild
Posted 1/17/2008 4:35 PM (#294653 - in reply to #294641)

Wow, now bait companies have to guarantee baits against crash landings on cement?

Nice work by Tilky and Roberts Outdoors of being proactive and hitting this "perceived" problem head-on.

I still can't believe that anyone is expecting baits to win the cement vs. bait war.
ESfishOX
Posted 1/17/2008 10:05 PM (#294729 - in reply to #294577)

"plastics" is an industry. Resolving the problem while backing your product, more than we've seen from anonymous.

I'll buy a couple when they're available.

Edited by ESfishOX 1/17/2008 10:06 PM
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/17/2008 10:25 PM (#294735 - in reply to #294577)

Good for them! Nothing says "great company" like what they are doing. sht happens. I take a hammer to many of my prototypes and man some you better be wearing safety glasses with some (BTW-those did not make it for sale). Plastic is a great building material or can really put a wrench in the works. Good to see they stand behind their product! Hats off to them! Too bad it happend at a show. I just bought two jointed DEPTHRAIDERS from Cabelas. They look great and I will be keeping mine. Looking forward to the re-release as I will be picking up a few.
James
ron f
Posted 1/18/2008 12:35 AM (#294756 - in reply to #294577)

good news

Edited by ron f 1/18/2008 4:36 AM
Whoolligan
Posted 1/18/2008 12:59 AM (#294758 - in reply to #294577)

Wow, just wow. I've never had the experience of "the off season" on mucky first.... It becomes even more clear to me who the people I want nothing to do with might happen to be.
Tilky, thanks for standing behind something that, in any other circumstance, logical fisherman wouldn't expect a bait to hand a smack on a concrete pool apron.
Regardless of the "detractors" I applaud you for it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)