Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Like sh#t through a goose.
- (Added by: MuskyHopeful)

Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Club Information and Announcements -> Muskie stocking on the Fox Chain

Message Subject: Muskie stocking on the Fox Chain
Jim Stella
Posted 11/7/2007 4:34 PM (#283509)
Subject: Muskie stocking on the Fox Chain

The SOB, MI club will be doing our annual muskie stocking on the Fox Chain next Wed. 11/14/07. Anybody is welcome to stop by and lend a hand. It's at the Thirsty Turtle in Antioch at around 10:30am, we will also be meeting for breakfast before hand at The Squire in Antioch on the corner of Rt. 173 & Rt. 83 at around 9am. If your interested in helping out please stop by. Any questions you can give me a call at 847-343-7221

Jim Stella
stugots4u
Posted 11/7/2007 4:41 PM (#283511 - in reply to #283509)
Subject: RE: Muskie stocking on the Fox Chain

Any relation to Joe stella??? Mike
ToddM
Posted 11/7/2007 8:18 PM (#283557 - in reply to #283509)

No but he's a dead ringer for Stella Stevens.
sworrall
Posted 11/7/2007 8:20 PM (#283558 - in reply to #283509)
Subject: Re: Muskie stocking on the Fox Chain

BWHAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAaaaaa......

That was a good one, Todd.
muskysucker1
Posted 11/8/2007 8:17 AM (#283625 - in reply to #283509)

I will be there I think we are dropping around 500 spots I will post pics
muskycore
Posted 11/8/2007 8:36 AM (#283632 - in reply to #283509)

Will you be dropping in fingerlings or 12 inchers?
ToddM
Posted 11/8/2007 11:52 AM (#283684 - in reply to #283509)

While I applaud SOB for stocking fish and I have asked Frank Walters why, I still don't understand it. Unless things have changed, these are not extra fish in the system. Whatever SOB stocks, the state takes away. It gets the same amount of fish regardless of where they came from. The green gene study so far shows these spotted fish don't make it through their second year and so far the illinois mutt has the best survival rates shadowed closely by the ohio strain. Yes, there is some consensus but not yet proven that perhaps these spotted fish are not around the nets at that time but it is only speculationt best.

FRV tried to work with the biologists to stock a northern illinois lake with additional or new fish and it just can't be done. We took out money to southern wisconsin and we will eventaully have two new great fisheries to which our money will go.

I am all for putting our money for EXTRA fish in the chain but the biologist will have none of it.
one last cast
Posted 11/8/2007 2:30 PM (#283715 - in reply to #283684)

I agree that the extra fish wound be a great thing for the Chain. That being said there are some Leech lakers that have grown well out there.
Posted 11/8/2007 2:42 PM (#283718 - in reply to #283509)

Jim have you guys considered taking your fish to Geneva or Delevan? The forage base and deep water would produce some really big fish there and if what Todd says is correct about your fish being replacements, not additional fish over what the DNR would stock, could be a great idea.
muskysucker1
Posted 11/8/2007 8:53 PM (#283775 - in reply to #283509)

This year I got 2 of the biggest spots in my boat from the chain, a 44 and 41.5. As well as a friend mine getting a 46. But until this year my biggest was about 15 inches. From the looks of it this may be one of the last year for the spots. These are fish that were supposed to be stocked from last year. We had to give over 100 of these fish to the DNR to be killed and tested for VHS.
I believe the fish we're stocking are going to be 15"+. So there should be incredible survival rates. With all those minnows in the chain they should have a great start. We are an Illinois club and it would only make sense to keep our money in Illinois. Illinois needs all the muskys it can get! The only way to figure out what works and what doesnt work is to try it.
Jim Stella
Posted 11/8/2007 10:53 PM (#283789 - in reply to #283509)

Mike,
Don't know Joe Stella, would liked to have known Stella Stevens, back in her hay day, she was HOT!!!.

As to the stocking, we trade off with the State every other year, so if we don't stock during our year, then the Chain doesn't get stocked that year. As to the Leech Lakers, we asked the biologist about switching strains, but they still want us to stock with the Leech Lakers. They don't feel we've done the stocking long enough with the Leech Lake strain to say whether or not it's been productive.

I tended to agree that it didn't seem like we were seeing the spots enough and wanted to look at switching to Ohio or Kentucky, which I thought might be better suited to our climate, but this year we have started to see some bigger spots and the biologists know more about this than I do, so I'll listen to them.

I fully support what FRV has done with Delevan, they have put a lot of time, effort & money into getting that off the ground and I think it's great. Anybody who's interested in trying to start a stocking program from scratch can learn a lot from what FRV has started with Delevan.

Jim Stella
MuskyFix
Posted 11/9/2007 10:42 AM (#283831 - in reply to #283509)

Personally I would Like to see Tiger Muskies Stocked in the chain Just as well.

Ben
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)