Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Abu Reel Trouble Shooting

Message Subject: Abu Reel Trouble Shooting
Halfpint
Posted 11/5/2007 8:30 AM (#282949)
Subject: Abu Reel Trouble Shooting

Hi Guys,

I've got an Abu Garcia 6601C4. Been using it and replacing parts on it over the last 2 years. It's fun when you can get in and take them apart and actually figure out what the issue is.

This one is bugging me though. Not sure what the deal is. It seems as if the "spool control cap" (where you tighten the brakes) isn't really doing it's job. It can tighten it down, but it does nothing to add resistance to the spool. When i screw it down tighter, it doesn't gradually get more difficult to turn either...it just turns and turns and stops...end result being that really no resistance was added.
So I'm curious what exactly the problem is....trying to figure out what parts to replace.

Also, when I use this same reel...say for jerkbaits, the reel doesn't seem to stay engaged...it slips if you jerk too hard. I checked the anti-reverse bearing and it looks to be intact with the small bearings and plastic pcs intact. Any ideas on that one? Is it possible this could be related to the issue above?

THANKS GUYS!!!

Edited by Halfpint 11/5/2007 8:35 AM
esoxaddict
Posted 11/5/2007 11:32 AM (#283011 - in reply to #282949)
Subject: Re: Abu Reel Trouble Shooting

Halfpint -- there's a flat, square washer, copper I believe, that goes inside the the spool control cap/knob. My guess is that you've either misplaced it, or the combination of dirt/use/wear, and perhaps over-tightening have rendered it non-functional (i.e. hole in it)

Step 1: Remove cap, inspect
Step 2: If the copper washer is there, and it doesn't seem to be worn out, it might work to flip it around. Otherwise I think you can order them, can't be more than about 50 cents. (or can it?)
Tim Kelly
Posted 11/5/2007 11:35 AM (#283012 - in reply to #282949)

And probably too much oil or grease in the AR bearing. Clean it out and either leave it dry or put the tiniest amount of very light oil in the bearing.
Halfpint
Posted 11/5/2007 12:15 PM (#283019 - in reply to #282949)

Holy cow...you guys are awesome!!! Thanks for the Info. Just ordered some of the shims. I'm pretty sure that will do the trick. When I was ordering the parts from the guy, I told him what you guys were saying and he thought you were dead on. He said that you can also add multiple shims to allow for the additional abuse of throwing musky lures.

Also thought there was probably some gunk in the anti-reverse bearing as long as i was seeing the little plastic pieces intact between each of the bearings.

That and a couple of spare clutch arms and some other misc parts and I think my reels will be good for another year....I hope.

Again, thanks for the help!!

Halfpint
Posted 11/5/2007 12:18 PM (#283020 - in reply to #282949)

Oh yea....I forgot to ask.

I had previously cleaned the parts with Dawn dish soap to remove the grease. Then I let them dry and reassemble. Any other ideas as far as getting the grease and gunk off. Especially in that anti reverse bearing since it's kinda cumbersome to do a really great job.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/5/2007 2:32 PM (#283054 - in reply to #282949)

I thought about trying brake kleen (aerosol brake parts cleaner), or even carburetor cleaner, but I was worried it might compromise the plastic parts of the reel. I've melted more than a couple things that way. "oh this stuff will clean anything!" Yup, sure will. Dissolves a lot of stuff too.
Halfpint
Posted 11/5/2007 5:53 PM (#283083 - in reply to #282949)

Anyone tried compressed air...like the stuff you use to clean keyboards and electronics? I just might give it a shot. I'm checking the parts out now that I'm at home and I can definately see a bit of gunk in there. Hummmmm...I'll probably clean it with a q-tip and some water and then give it a spray and see what happens.
muskynightmare
Posted 11/5/2007 7:05 PM (#283097 - in reply to #282949)

I use WD-40 to clean parts. Wipe it off, re-grease and re-oil.
When the brass wears out in the brake adjustment, Find someone who uses a Hilti gun (or similar, powder- actuated fastening device)alot. Sometimes the brass on the back of the power load becomes disconnected from the rest of the casing. Excellent, free replacement part!
SouperFish
Posted 11/5/2007 10:03 PM (#283128 - in reply to #282949)
Subject: RE: Abu Reel Trouble Shooting

I've had the same problem with spool brake. I replaced the white plastic gear on the opposite site of the spool. As you turn to tighten, it pushes against the spool which pushes the white plastic gear against the opposite side plate. The lip on the white plastic gear wears down, sometime flush with the gear teeth. I use mineral spirits to clean my reels, the grease and oil.
Tim Kelly
Posted 11/6/2007 12:44 AM (#283140 - in reply to #282949)

Zippo lighter fuel is great for de-greasing things. Best to stay away from WD40 though, it can put a gummy coating on things once it dries out.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/6/2007 10:55 AM (#283194 - in reply to #282949)

Compressed air does work for getting oil and grease out of those nooks and crannies, but all that goop inside your reel winds up all over your clothes, in your hair, on the walls, on the ceiling, and just about everywhere.

Halfpint
Posted 11/6/2007 3:01 PM (#283251 - in reply to #282949)

So what you're saying is to do it outside...and naked. Oh wait...I suppose you could just put on old clothes. Depends on whether or not you have nosy neighbors.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)