Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Delevan Lake muskie article in Wisconsin Sportsman

Message Subject: Delevan Lake muskie article in Wisconsin Sportsman
d2bucktail
Posted 7/24/2007 4:26 PM (#266896)
Subject: Delevan Lake muskie article in Wisconsin Sportsman

I just read Ted Peck's article (The Transformation of Delavan Lake) in the July 2007 issue of the Wisconsin Sportsman magazine. Sounds like a possible up-and-coming muskie fishery. Does anyone have any experience with that fishery? Is it worth fishing yet? Sounds like a few guys might be plugging away out there.

D2Bucktail
dannyboy
Posted 7/27/2007 3:27 PM (#267484 - in reply to #266896)
Subject: RE: Delevan Lake muskie article in Wisconsin Sportsman

i grew up on delavan lake . can you provide a link to this article? im curious.

thanks

dannyboy
muskyboy
Posted 7/27/2007 6:16 PM (#267504 - in reply to #266896)
Subject: Re: Delevan Lake muskie article in Wisconsin Sportsman

We are working with the WDNR to stock the lake, and there are a few muskies in there right now up to about 48. It will take a few years for the lake to really become a true musky water.

Steve Crook
Fox River Valley MI Chapter 39 Stocking and Conservation Director
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/27/2007 9:48 PM (#267520 - in reply to #267504)

I had thought they have been stocking this lake since they poisoned it out. The pike population circling the weedline on the lake has been somewhat of a population impediment for young musky I think. Have they changed the stocking stategy?
MuskyStalker
Posted 7/27/2007 11:49 PM (#267528 - in reply to #266896)

Delevan hold alot more and bigger Muskie than you think. I had one outing in the spring and saw a dozen good sized fish. There was a 52" that came out of there 2 years ago. Some HUGE Pike in there too!
jerryb
Posted 7/28/2007 7:29 PM (#267580 - in reply to #267528)
Subject: RE: Delavan Lake muskie article in Wisconsin Sportsman

Some of us have been plugging, ha,ha,, away out there for a while now so I guess I'll tell ya what I've experienced.

Haven't seen the article but if it says anything to the effect of a new "up and coming muskie lake". All I can say is don't believe everything you read!

Delavan is NOT an up and coming muskie lake it never has been, and the prospects of it becoming one any time soon is very remote. I wish I didn't have to say this but to this point the muskie stocking has been an almost complete waist of resources.

However I do see the pike population coming down so there are possibilities in the future, cross your fingers. The bass population has exploded, the walleyes are not as numerous but the average size is rising.

Been teaching on Delavan for a good # of years now and catch a few pike every now and then with very few muskies mixed in between. 05-06/ 700 pike with only 7 skies.

Jerry Borst
Spoonplugger/Instructor
Heavy Duty Lure Retrievers

Edited by jerryb 7/28/2007 7:31 PM
ToddM
Posted 7/29/2007 1:10 PM (#267636 - in reply to #266896)

Jerry, I think the muskies are going to be better. I believe their stocking used to be something like 500 a year. It will now be 2500 a year unless the VHS stuff causes them to curtail the stocking and the pike and bass don't eat them all!
jerryb
Posted 7/29/2007 9:38 PM (#267692 - in reply to #267636)
Subject: RE: Delavan Lake muskie article in Wisconsin Sportsman

Hi Todd how's things, hope you are having a great year! I know we are, kind of sounds like "the legend" but I'm just messin. I miss that guy!

Anyway, I know there are a lot of guys fishing Delavan but I've never seen this Peck guy out there and I as said I didn't see his writing but I just haven't seen any increase in the #'s of muskies, (YET) I know I'm just one guy who keeps taps with a handful of other successful spoonpluggers who I can trust,,, & We don't see it!
basscaster
Posted 10/20/2007 2:21 PM (#280500 - in reply to #266896)

Ted Peck writes alot of speculative articles on best bass fishing in Illinois, Best panfish in Iowa. I personally don't even think he fishes. I read a few articles on his Illinois Bass prospects for 2007. I went out of my way to fish one his best Big Bass Lakes. It was the worst lake we fished in 10 days, so we chatted with the marina owner and he said it was not a very good bass Lake but every year there was a couple big bass caught. I googled his name- he is all over the midwest with his predictions.

Edited by basscaster 10/20/2007 2:22 PM
Reef Hawg
Posted 10/20/2007 6:36 PM (#280523 - in reply to #266896)

Conversely, Tedd personnally had a hand in ruining a couple of the finest Walleye fisheries around over the past decade. He gets handed great places to fish, by locals who think they are doing the right thing, then exploits. I stood in waders, one spring evening 5-6 years ago, near him in one of the greatest walleye spots I've ever known.

For years, there would be 3-4 people fishing there per evening. Tedd approached us and asked that if we caught anything, we'd hold onto it so he could photograph it for an article he was doing for one of the outdoor rags. We caught a couple fish in the mid 20" range, quickly releasing them, only to be questioned why we didn't let him take the pictures. Well, someone must have took the bait, as a number of articles were written by him either directly about the area or with it in his 'top 10' and over the past 4 seasons, it has been next to impossible to find a place to fish in this spot. Not saying he is to blame, but that has mysteriously happened to a few areas that he has written and rewritten about. I don't have alot of respect for those whose sole purpose in life is to exploit well kept secrets around the state of WI.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)