Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tackle Recomendations

Message Subject: Tackle Recomendations
WishICouldCatchEsox
Posted 10/26/2007 9:45 AM (#281324)
Subject: Tackle Recomendations

Hi All, I am new to this forum.
I have only been musky fishing once and have not caught one yet. I just used a large spinning reel and a MH rod last time I went out. I however wish to continue musky fishing and purchased some lures and such. Next purchase is to be a rod/reel. The criteria is that I want as light of a setup as I can possibly come up with because I learned casting all day wares you out (Im a bass fisherman so I have all super light equip) I am undecided between getting a cheep gander mt guide series rod for like $30 and a C3 or if I should go nice right away and get a St. Croix premier series rod and a reel to match. I like the idea of the new Curado for big game but am not sure as to how effective it is. The reviews on tackletour says it works quite nicely. This is the reel I really like and would want to get if it works well. Also because I can decide I dont like musky and than have an awesome bass reel. The line I used last time was 65# power pro. I liked it. Any other recomendations would be great about anything. I purchased a Grandma, a grinder spinner bait, and a M. innovations Jammer. I also have a bucktail and a grim reaper spinner bait. The area I will be fishing is Clear Fork Lake in Ohio. It has crystal clear water and TONS of weeds. thanks for all help in advance. In light of weedy lake I purchased the video on how to musky fish in weeds. O ps. Clear fork is supposed to be one of the best musky lakes in ohio.
Marc J
Posted 10/26/2007 10:15 AM (#281330 - in reply to #281324)
Subject: RE: Tackle Recomendations

I've always had good luck with cheap rods. Gander Mountian rods seems to be pretty solid. I think it's worth investing money in reel and line as opposed to rod. I've always had cheap rods.

I have a curado and really like it for most musky stuff. St. Croix rods are really really nice but if you're starting out and want to keep it cheap I'd go with the GM rod.

Personally, the larger pound test lines cast better for me, I'd go with 80# or 100#. 65# is ok but eventually you'll get a backlash and snap and expensive bait off. If you overshoot the line strength a little you just won't have to worry about it.
kawartha kid
Posted 10/26/2007 12:01 PM (#281348 - in reply to #281324)
Subject: Re: Tackle Recomendations

Shimanos 300 dsv is a solid reel,i have been running two of them for a season and a half with lots of use and a good # of fish under each one with not a single problum,as far as the gander rod i have no experience there but you deffinetly cant go wrong with a st.croix premeir if you got the bread to spend get a seven or 7.5 foot medium heavy premeir and if you think you dont like musky fishing,which wont be the case the rod makes a great swim bait rod for bass or even a good flipping stick.I think you would be happier and more versatile with the 7.5mh.I run 65 poundtuff xp on one reel and 80 lbs tuff xp on the other but you should be just fine with 65 lb.Good luck on the water!

Edited by kawartha kid 10/26/2007 2:13 PM
Vince Weirick
Posted 10/26/2007 1:48 PM (#281361 - in reply to #281324)

I am sure there is a local Muskies Inc. club. Get in touch with them and they will also help you with lure choices along with your set up.
Ed BZ
Posted 10/26/2007 9:30 PM (#281396 - in reply to #281324)

Hey Buddy, You are already used to the garcia round reels just step it up to a 6500 c-3 and spend a tiny bit exta on a good Criox get a med. heavy x-fast in a 7'6 and be done match with 80# p.p. get some good stealth flouro leaders till you learn to tye your own and your set. Get a couple of Dawgs some M/G spinners a couple of bucktails some shallow and depth raiders and just go and l;earn some water. Stick with it and if you like it your good to go, then get crazy in the head and buy every bait and set up out there, if not chase some big bass.
Myn 2 cents, good luck
jerkin
Posted 10/26/2007 10:23 PM (#281401 - in reply to #281324)

Check out tomdietz.com He manages a gander mountain down there somewhere and fishes the area. There is an outdoor reports section on his website that gives some advice on the local musky action. I met him a few times, he'll shoot ya straight.
Tighter
Posted 10/28/2007 10:41 AM (#281501 - in reply to #281324)

I'm just chiming in to give you perspective. I am a relatively new muskie angler. I own two Gander Mountain, Guide Series, Muskie rods. The first I bought in 2005: it is 6'6", for lines 15-30. The graphite is IM 7. It is good on cranks, bucktails and topwater. It is my favorite.

The second GM rod (purchased 2006) is 6'3"; for lines 14-40; and stiff. It is IM 6. I bought this rod for throwing jerks. It also handles heavy cranks and even Eagle Tails.

I have transport issues, so I favor shorter rods. Anything longer than 7' is out of the question.

I am completely satisfied with my Gander Mountain rods and would buy another. (Indeed I saw a 6'9", IM 8, Gander Mt. that impressed me.) Of course you can buy better rods than these, but for now I would rather keep the cost difference in the bank.
WishICouldCatchEsox
Posted 10/29/2007 8:27 PM (#281740 - in reply to #281324)

Thanks everyone for your imput. I really want to get the Curado but have a hard time wanting to pay for it... maybe a christmas present lol. I think the most realistic thing to do is to go with the Abu C3 and 6501 and use that until I become hooked on Musky fishing aka catch one. Than I will go out and spend an obsene amount of money on other tackle... As far as the rod is concerned are the GM rods pretty lite or are they rather heavy. I know the Croix ones are extremely lite which makes them appealing. The C3 is actually one of the lightest traditional reels there is for musky size. The curado weighs in at about 1oz less which is huge when it comes to casting for a whole day, those ounces add up quick! I most likely will go with the GM and until I catch one and than after I will buy a Croix and use the GM as a cranking stick and the Croix for spinner bait/bucktails because of the faster tip. On my video for musky fishing in the weeds I notice they use a cowgirl quite often and it produces pretty well. Any experience with those or any other bait that just seems to be consistant with catching fish or overly weedless. The second being the more important. I know I am asking a lot of questions and I am sorry but I am a college student so I only have limited funds so Im trying to not buy as much but buy better things when I do. Thanks!
sworrall
Posted 10/29/2007 8:37 PM (#281741 - in reply to #281324)

I'd recommend looking at an Okuma Induron 250. I've beat mine to death this year with no trouble. Not an overly expensive reel, but great quality and no need to replace it later, it'll take whatever you have to dish out. Get a power handle, too, you will be glad you did.

You could get an outfit with the heavy action telescoping Okuma rod for not too much more than a couple hundred, and you'll toss near any bait you want to with it except the 2 pound monsters.
AWH
Posted 10/29/2007 9:00 PM (#281747 - in reply to #281324)

I have an 8 foot Gander Mountain IM8 heavy action rod that I like as well, if not better, than my St. Croix Premiers. The weight of the rod is comparable to the St. Croixs as well. Very good value.

Aaron
mikie
Posted 10/30/2007 8:40 AM (#281792 - in reply to #281324)

Yers, Clear Fork is a good lake and I've caught fish there in November, it's worth a shot for you. What has not been mentioned though is leaders. Be sure to use a good strong leader so you don't lose a bait in a fish's mouth. I prefer Stealth fluorocarbon leaders for bucktails and crankbaits, and a good stiff wire leader for jerk baits. good luck in your quest. Where you at? maybe we can fish sometime? m
WishICouldCatchEsox
Posted 10/30/2007 4:32 PM (#281904 - in reply to #281324)

I live in Westerville, so right outside of Columbus. I use 165# wireleaders I think they are Joe Bucher brand I may look into some florocarbon however. I do not really understand the power handle... how does that benefit? What about it makes it more effective
Posted 10/30/2007 4:48 PM (#281907 - in reply to #281324)

For lures check out eBay. Lots of great deals there. I search Muskie lures, musky lures or even pike lures and a lot comes up. I have bought new and used and have saved a bunch of cash. I buy old Suicks and refurbish them in my original colors. Just use good old fashion Rustoleum paint and they work great. Use a sharpie to add some designs and you are good to go!
Here is a "musky lure" search:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satit...
Suick search too. Love the Suick and it will love you!!
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satit...
sworrall
Posted 10/30/2007 4:50 PM (#281908 - in reply to #281324)

The power handle gives you leverage, and takes alot of the work out of large, hard to pull baits.
reelman
Posted 10/30/2007 5:40 PM (#281914 - in reply to #281324)

How does a power handle give you any more leverage? I'm not sure about the Okuma power handle but most power handles are no longer, or an insignifigant amount, than a standard handle. What they do however is give your fingers more to hold on to thus inducing less fatigue. I have power handles on all my reels and wouldn't be without them but they do not increase leverage.
BALDY
Posted 10/30/2007 6:02 PM (#281924 - in reply to #281914)

reelman - 10/30/2007 5:40 PM

How does a power handle give you any more leverage? I'm not sure about the Okuma power handle but most power handles are no longer, or an insignifigant amount, than a standard handle. What they do however is give your fingers more to hold on to thus inducing less fatigue. I have power handles on all my reels and wouldn't be without them but they do not increase leverage.

The Okuma power handle is, in fact, longer than a standard handle. This gives you more leverage.

I've got custom power handles on a few of my 7000's, and those longer handles greatly increase the leverage. Makes pulling the big blades even easier.

I especially like the longer handles on trolling reels because it makes it much easier to reel in a board/dipsey
Posted 10/31/2007 4:51 AM (#282004 - in reply to #281324)

FYI on eBay buying. Tonight, Thanksgiving, and xmas are the days to buy. When home I have picked up my best deals on holidays. Nobody bids on holidays. I picked up some new lures last year for an average $6 each and they wouls have cost me a little over $20 each otherwise in Cabelas.
WishICouldCatchEsox
Posted 10/31/2007 6:32 AM (#282014 - in reply to #281324)

thanks for letting me in on your little secret!
RAW
Posted 11/3/2007 4:55 AM (#282679 - in reply to #281324)

Gander Guide Series 8ft hvy action, alot of rod for the $ (about $90) FYI Gander uses Fig-Rig blanks for their rods, very light and strong only difference is the warranty. Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)