Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Turnover

Message Subject: Turnover
clint
Posted 10/18/2007 8:34 PM (#280191)
Subject: Turnover

OK, I understand the concept of turnover. I know what it is and what happens. But the thing I would like to know is there a magic lake temp in which it occurs? How do I tell the lake has turned over? We were on Alexander and Shamineau yesterday and the temps were 53 and 52 degrees respectively. We had a follow in 10 feet of water on Alex and a fish miss a topwater lure in about 5 feet. On Sham we had one follow in about 8 feet of water. That was it. I would have thought with the weather conditions it would have been better. we found more green weeds on Sham compared to Alex. What are your thoughts and how would you approach fishing there next Monday? Thanks guys. Clint
Marc J
Posted 10/19/2007 9:53 AM (#280262 - in reply to #280191)
Subject: RE: Turnover

My walleye buddy told me that Alex already turned. We were catching walleyes up there Wednesday in 50-60 feet prior to a few hours of musky action. We were previously seeing nice fish in the shallows on topwaters, but only saw lots of small fish that afternoon in shallow. I suspect that the muskies are now using the deeper, greener weedcover as they are locally here, but didn't have time to dink around with it. If you only see small fish, go deeper, we've been seeing some really nice fish up there when we're on them.

I'd fish the same areas where you found fish shallow, but get out past the weededge cast back in or somewhat parallel. Jerks have been best for me but got a small one on a double 10 Wednesday. Deep weed points or weededges by the deeper water is what I would focus on. I may be up there again next Thursday if you care to post a report on how you did.

Keep an eye out for feeding windows too - mid morning to mid-afternoon seems to be your best bet.
clint
Posted 10/23/2007 12:15 PM (#280911 - in reply to #280191)

Hey Marc, thanks for the info. we did go to Alex yesterday. We had 3 follows, they all were in front of the east access. If you are looking at the access in your boat on the lake, we would be to the right of it. We were in 12-16 ft of water throwing to about 8-10 on the edges. One was a monster, in that 48-50 inch range. It had it's nose on my suick the whole time. it stayed on it with every turn on the figure 8, but it just would not take it. we were there from about 9am till 1pm. I have a head cold and that was as long as I could take it! Let me know how you do. Clint
Marc J
Posted 10/23/2007 12:40 PM (#280919 - in reply to #280911)

That seems to be a good weededge in the fall. We'll be up there Thursday if things get to busy on the Pond and definitely within the next few weeks.

Too bad you couldn't get the big one to eat. We've really been seeing some decent fish there lately so I'm glad you had some action.
clint
Posted 10/23/2007 1:50 PM (#280930 - in reply to #280919)

If you ever need a partner I would love the opportunity. Although my schedule is getting tighter with kids starting the hockey season, maybe we can make it work this year yet! Clint
Marc J
Posted 10/23/2007 2:15 PM (#280935 - in reply to #280930)

if you would register on the site i'd have the ability to p.m. you - my email is [email protected]
no5holeclint
Posted 10/23/2007 5:40 PM (#280962 - in reply to #280191)

Marc, I am now registered when you see no5holeclint...its me! I know wierd name, but I am a goalie ............
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)