Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Long underwear/Base layer - Under Armour?

Message Subject: Long underwear/Base layer - Under Armour?
Chasin50
Posted 10/12/2007 7:46 AM (#279211)
Subject: Long underwear/Base layer - Under Armour?

Those chilly days/nights aren't too far off... I have been using Capaline as long underwear, then layering on top of that. I think the capaline works great for activities where you are moving like sking for example, but for hunting or fishing, what do you guys recommend?

Anybody use the Cold Gear Under Armour (compression) as long underwear or a base layer when it gets cold?
Slamr
Posted 10/12/2007 11:29 AM (#279245 - in reply to #279211)
Subject: Re: Long underwear/Base layer - Under Armour?

I have been using the Underarmour Compression tops and bottoms for the last year and I LOVE IT. The only limitations are that when its really cold, you better be moving around a bit or you're going to get cold.....and if its anything above 50 degrees, you're going to be broiling.
It's costly, but if it's cold out and I'm casting, I'll be wearing my Underarmour.

*another bad part about it.....it will smell bad bad BAD after a day's wearing it.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/12/2007 11:39 AM (#279247 - in reply to #279211)

I bought the polypro stuff from my local army surplus store. I THINK it's the same thing as the UnderArmour. I've used it down into the high 20's, and it worked well. That particular day warmed into the low 60's, and believe me when I tell you Slamr is RIGHT. Even if you shower and put on deodorant, at the end of the day it smells like a homeless person who slept in the elephant exhibit at the zoo.
Chasin50
Posted 10/12/2007 11:43 AM (#279249 - in reply to #279247)

I can see, and smell that analogy...

So, if it is really cold... Say in the 20's or low 30's, what do you guys recommend? I have a bunch of fleece, wool, and gortex for the mid and outer layers which all work well. I guess I am looking for something for the really cold days that will work well for sitting in the deer blind as well.

Thanks
Slamr
Posted 10/12/2007 11:48 AM (#279250 - in reply to #279249)

For sitting in a blind I would NOT recommend the underarmour.
Fisherben
Posted 10/12/2007 12:12 PM (#279252 - in reply to #279250)

I've used the underarmor tops and like them for active use.They will smell and seem to create backne.

For ice fishing and deer hunting I wear Damart brand.Some of my friends use cabelas polypro with scent control and love it.

Edited by Fisherben 10/12/2007 12:29 PM
Tackle Industries
Posted 10/12/2007 2:01 PM (#279271 - in reply to #279211)

I love my Underarmor for both deer hunting and fishing late in the season. Seem to work a little better for deer hunting though when you are moving vs. sitting but I still like them for ice fishing too. A little priccccy but I woudl gladly pay for them vs ruining a trip because I was cold the entire time!
Whoolligan
Posted 10/12/2007 8:21 PM (#279311 - in reply to #279211)

I started wearing patagonia's regulator a couple years ago, and have found it to be better in sedentary situations than Underarmour. UA is great for casting, or at least a little activity, whereas the regulator is very good sitting. The thing about it, as well, is that it works even better than UA when it comes to layering. UA has the problem of trapping heat and not being very breatheable, trapping the moisture and heating it, which in turn causes cold as the temps drop.
I'm also a big fan of silk as the baselayer, with polypro, or r1/r2 over that. Silke really pulls moisture away from the body in a hurry, and allows the polypro to do its job even better.
When it gets really nasty cold, I switch over to this:
http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?PAGE=PRODUCT_DETAILS&CAT=layerin...
http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?PAGE=PRODUCT_DETAILS&CAT=layerin...
Follow those two layers up with a shelled fleece pant, and I'm one happy, and warm, duck hunter.

Edited by Whoolligan 10/12/2007 8:22 PM
Tiger
Posted 10/12/2007 11:21 PM (#279335 - in reply to #279211)

been using polypro for years,also use the under armour, everyones hitting it on the head with the ups and downs.
best thing to do is layer your clothing..remember, if you have it and don't need it you can always take it off, But if you need it and don't have it, your screwed
bustinlips
Posted 10/13/2007 7:29 PM (#279390 - in reply to #279211)

Under Armour is very nice, is also the best feeling in the world when it is removed. Cabela's has a wind stopper wool sweater, a little pricey but very warm. With this combo I very rarely get cold. I just wish this stuff was made years ago when deer hunting was really cold.
Trevor
Posted 10/15/2007 10:55 AM (#279585 - in reply to #279211)
Subject: RE: Long underwear/Base layer - Under Armour?

My preference is for Wool. Smart wool or Ullfrotte tops and bottoms. they are warm and i am allowed in the house after a few days of wearing them.
Posted 10/15/2007 12:48 PM (#279607 - in reply to #279211)

i wear a survival suit both in the boat and on the ice when the temp gets cold. since you are not moving much, perspiration is not a big issue. keep in mind that we mostly troll in the fall so the bulkiness is not a factor (ie. casting).
bchunter26
Posted 10/15/2007 4:10 PM (#279651 - in reply to #279607)

I love the Under Armor, with Fleece and Wool over the top for all of my outdoor activity. If I have one recomendation with the Under Armor it would be get dressed in the dark, it is the most un-flattering stuff you will ever wear, it's pretty bad when your wife laughs out loud at you after you put it on.
basscaster
Posted 10/15/2007 8:27 PM (#279697 - in reply to #279211)

I like Sierratradingpost.com underwear- they have a ton of brands and all weights- cheap. about 1/2 price sometimes less than $10 in bargain bin. I like tall so it stays in and I like mid-weight for activities with a woolblend wickaway being a warm shirt. I usually buy doubles in 3 or 4 brands and check them out(try them on) and return what I don't like. They have a return sticker that will cost you $5.50 deducted from your return. I do have a problem with the zippers being poorly stitched sometimes(irregulars). Bookmark their website and subscribe to their catalog. I get a catalog every 2 weeks. I just picked up about 10 carhartt pocket t-shirts($6 short sleeve and $8 long sleeve and short sleeve henleys).In come 10 new t-shirts out goes 6/7 ratty t-shirts. Quality selection, quality stuff.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)