Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Sabaskong Bay Report?

Message Subject: Sabaskong Bay Report?
Posted 8/5/2007 5:32 PM (#268736 - in reply to #263876)
Subject: RE: Sabaskong Bay Report?

A guest of mine boated a 45 incher today on a crappie jig and minnow. Was a beautiful girl that put up a 10-15 minute fight with several great runs, and even a full body jump. It was a great catch, especially on 6lb test. I'll get some pics on here asap.
obabikon
Posted 8/5/2007 6:23 PM (#268747 - in reply to #268736)

The above post was me, sorry.
K-Man
Posted 8/6/2007 1:36 PM (#268863 - in reply to #263876)
Subject: Re: Sabaskong Bay Report?

I'm heading up to Sabaskong with my Dad and Brother the 11th to 18th. Just curious if there's any recent news on whats happening up there? What the hot bait is or where the muskies are holding? Any and all info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, K-man
crackpot
Posted 8/6/2007 3:03 PM (#268879 - in reply to #268863)

I just got back saturday after a decent week on sabaskong. Fish were kind of scattered, we found them on bare rock islands and reefs out in the middle, on rock/lilly pad combos and in lilly pads in back bays, there was no definite pattern. When we arrived the surface temps were in the low 80's in the afternoons but cooled down later in the week to the low to mid 70's. No real hot bait, we caught quite a few on gliders and suick type baits, and moved alot but didn't catch a lot on bucktails and topwaters.
K-Man
Posted 8/7/2007 8:54 AM (#268993 - in reply to #263876)

Thanks for the info Crackpot. I'll update you on how we do when we return the 19th.

Edited by K-Man 8/7/2007 8:55 AM
J-Bird
Posted 8/7/2007 10:15 PM (#269109 - in reply to #268993)

K-man – I had most of my luck fishing wind blown rocky points off of mid-lake islands. If you find a combo of rock and vegetation it is even better. If you find some good cabbage hit it because our two biggest fish came out of it, a 51” and a 47”. We also lost some big ones in the cabbage. Orange and black, and believe it or not orange and white were the top producers. The 51” was caught on an orange and white bucktail called the Jerry (www.nugtackle.net). 47” was caught on a Loon Top Raider (www.joebucher.com). I also caught a few on Orange and black M&G spinner (http://lindyfishingtackle.com/pages/MG_Lures.shtml).
Good luck and I hope this helps! Let us know how you do.

Watch out for the shallow reefs, they are everywhere! Get a good map.

Jason
Mr Musky
Posted 8/7/2007 10:33 PM (#269114 - in reply to #263876)

ZO-5 not to discourage you but I dont know when your going up in August to Red Wing but we've stayed there in August only to run into horrible algae bloom everywhere!!!!!!!!!!! With this warm summer it could be bad if it allready isnt.

Mr Musky
K-Man
Posted 8/8/2007 12:16 PM (#269165 - in reply to #263876)

Thanks J-Bird,

Thanks for the shallow reef warning, I've been up to Frolander's in Monument Bay once and have seen what the shallow reefs can do to a prop. Not mine though thank god. Anyways I did get a real quality map from Canadian Hydrographics hopefully it pays off. Going on what I've read, I plan on throwing some big double bladed bucktails and a lot of top-water. Sounds like Orange/Black is the productive color. I am surprised to hear that Orange/White was hot but I'll try to see what I have in my box that can match that. We'll see if I can stick a new personal best. It is currently a 46.5" that I caught on a figure eight on a firetiger buchertail up in monument about 5 years ago. I'm getting psyched, sharpening hooks and respolling reels... Leaving on the 10th so if anybody has any more info (algae bloom status) I'd definitely appreciate it.

Thanks J-Bird, Crackpot and rest. K-man
Sledge51
Posted 8/8/2007 4:52 PM (#269206 - in reply to #263876)

Don't worry about the algea, it is very light for this time of year. Believers and jerkbaits have been the hot ticket for me lately,(mostly green). Topwater and spinners have been slow for me.

I'm posting from Miles bay, so this report is as up to date as it gets!!
J-Bird
Posted 8/13/2007 8:38 PM (#269838 - in reply to #269206)

When I was at Sabaskong in mid July, some parts of the lake had noticeably more algae in the water then others. It was not hard to find clearer water. I am surprised to hear that Sledge51 is having a slow topwater bite! Topwater was great for our group. It is always worth a try. Good luck all!
Posted 8/27/2007 3:45 PM (#271966 - in reply to #263876)

anybody having any luck up there?
jtmenard
Posted 8/27/2007 6:14 PM (#272002 - in reply to #271966)

Our group was up 8/11-8/18. There were 8-9 guys (one left early) and we landed 14 fish. 1 northern, 3 <30" and 10 37"-40". Most of the fish were on rock/weed combo. Fish were holding real tight to the structure. We had the best luck on suicks and didn't see much on spinners, bucktails, etc. Overall, we didn't see many fish but the ones we saw hit. The bloom was in effect and weather poor (big storm the night before arrival, mid-week cold front, 30 mph winds). Frustrating to get to fish only 5 of the 7 days of our trip, but still enjoyable.

J. Menard
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)