Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Crow Lake ONT.

Message Subject: Crow Lake ONT.
2T Critter
Posted 7/26/2007 6:53 PM (#267330)
Subject: Crow Lake ONT.

Heading to Crow lake the last week of August, anybody have words of wisdom? Any info would be great.
snaggletooth
Posted 7/27/2007 11:39 AM (#267440 - in reply to #267330)
Subject: RE: Crow Lake ONT.

I am replying and assuming you have never been there before ?

Its a rather deep, clear water, rocky bottom lake. About 16 miles long and shaped like the letter "Y". There are many shallow, rocky reefs in it that can do damage to your motor.

The only musky I caught there, a small one, was by trolling near one of the rocky reefs. There are trophy muskies in it, but their quantity is low. From what I have heard, trolling deep water is the best method to get a big musky there. There are some weedbeds as well. Weeds grow there in 20+ foot depths and some weeds almost reach the surface. Its fun casting the weedbeds because you can see so much on the bottom. Its like fishing an enormous aquarium. The shoreline wilderness scenery is the best I've ever seen in Canada. Huge granite cliffs rising about 100 feet up right next to some of the shorelines.

The times I fished there, I hired a guide. If you call the Angler's Pro Shop in Nestor Falls, they can arrange a guide for you. The people who run the shop there are long-time residents of that area and good people. They can help you with recommendations about where to stay, where to fish, baits to use, etc.

ZO 5
Posted 7/27/2007 12:14 PM (#267448 - in reply to #267440)

check out this site http://www.crawfordsresort.com/fishingreports.htm....tough lake to crack, but definitely some big fish to get you going back, good luck.
Capt bigfish
Posted 7/28/2007 11:19 AM (#267548 - in reply to #267448)

We just got back and did rather well, 16 fish, largest 49.5, 10 fish trolling. Check out http://www.muskiebayresort.com Bring crank baits from 10-18" if you have them. Duff
Capt.Blaine
Posted 7/28/2007 7:57 PM (#267583 - in reply to #267548)

I will be heading up there this coming weekend. What type of depths are you trolling in and what speed? Did you have any luck trolling durring the day?
Thanks
2T Critter
Posted 7/29/2007 7:45 AM (#267615 - in reply to #267330)

Capt. Bigfish,

I noticed in the photos on the Musky Bay website alot of night fish. Did you have more success at night? Any color better than the next?

Thanks
Capt bigfish
Posted 7/29/2007 8:55 AM (#267622 - in reply to #267615)

On Crow we cast during the day and troll at night. Day trolling was a tough bite for us, but be sure to use ddaylight to set up your night troll runs. Color didn't seem to matter as people in camp had fish in all patterns (loud contrasting colors to naturals).We had our success on jointed 12" cranks, red body with white dots and gold head. Trolling fish came from mid lake reefs mostly and for casting, there are fish on every point and around every island. Bigger fish came off of rock. Figure 8 on every cast, fish love to show up late and can be had on a strong finish. Good luck, Duff
Musky Brian
Posted 8/8/2007 11:45 PM (#269261 - in reply to #267330)

A little advice.....if you plan on going on that lake at night, you better be REAL careful. That's a dangerous lake during the day, you better have a great GPS and go SLOW or you might join the growing list of anglers who have had problems this summer driving at night
Roger
Posted 8/19/2007 8:54 AM (#270570 - in reply to #267330)

You are definetely in the right area for trophy musky just the wrong lake. If you want world class action you need to fish LOTW. I stay at Canadian Haven Resort. Here is their web site. Check them out. canadianhaven.com

Rog
sworrall
Posted 8/19/2007 9:26 AM (#270575 - in reply to #267330)
Subject: Re: Crow Lake ONT.

Crow is very good water. If they asked about LOTW and that resort, your answer would make sense.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)