Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Lake DuBay, WI

Message Subject: Lake DuBay, WI
The Wanderer
Posted 8/16/2007 7:52 PM (#270320)
Subject: Lake DuBay, WI

I'm trying to think of a place to go next weekend and I was thinking about this lake, but I don't know much about it. I was hoping some of you guys could let me know what the lake is like. For example: Water clarity? Is it a shallow or deep lake? Mid lake structure? Does it have rock humps, weed flats, stumps? How is the boat traffic (pleasure boaters)? How dangerous is it for a newcomer (stumps, rocks, etc.)? Trophy fish or a numbers lake? I'm just trying to find a nice place to go within a 3 hour drive of SE WI that isn't bombarded with boat traffic (Okauchee, Pewaukee, Madison Chain, etc.). Any help would be appreciated. I'm not trying to figure what baits to use or spot on the spot, I'll try to figure that out on my own. Just trying to learn about the water a little bit before I would head up there.

Thanks
G. Richter

Edited by The Wanderer 8/16/2007 7:53 PM
tezz32
Posted 8/17/2007 12:43 AM (#270345 - in reply to #270320)
Subject: Re: Lake DuBay, WI

check www.hooksetters.biz they fish that water alot and could be alot of help
tuffy1
Posted 8/17/2007 6:36 AM (#270351 - in reply to #270345)

It's a stained flowage. There are creek channels, weeds, rocks, stumps, flats, pretty much all you described. I'm not sure of the hazards this year, but if the waters lower, you may want to watch for stumps in some area.

Definitely check out hooksetters. You can get some good info from those boys.
Ifishskis
Posted 8/17/2007 9:28 AM (#270364 - in reply to #270320)
Subject: RE: Lake DuBay, WI

Lots of places to destroy your lower unit. Not a place to go FAST if you don't know where you're going. The Fishing Hotspots map has good detail of DuBay, and the main thing is to stay in the river channels when going from area to area.

I live in Wausau and honestly if I were you I'd drive another 45 min north to the Tomahawk area. Dubay is OK for muskies, but you have better choices (IMO) a little farther north.

Not really an action lake....more of a big fish lake.

Lake Wausau is an option too. 'ski fishing has been pretty good all year there, but you get a lot of recreational boat traffic.

The Hooksetter site will help, but those guys make any water sound great.

Edited by Ifishskis 8/17/2007 9:36 AM
floydss
Posted 8/17/2007 10:47 PM (#270462 - in reply to #270320)

theres always petenwell which is a little south of dubay but its a tough lake big fish are there but the are a heck of alot smarter than me lol
Posted 8/17/2007 10:54 PM (#270465 - in reply to #270320)

Those guys make Dubay seem great for one simple reason.They put you on Fish.

Pictures don't lie. Either does their many many years of experience learning what has been a difficult body of water to fish for skis

You got some real good advice about Hooksetters.

Give Phil Schweik a call. He is most likely booked but he will put you on fish.
sworrall
Posted 8/17/2007 11:00 PM (#270467 - in reply to #270320)

I agree with Guest, Hooksetters makes it seem great because they catch numbers of BIG fish there....making it REALLY great, not just seemingly that way.
Ifishskis
Posted 8/20/2007 11:40 AM (#270754 - in reply to #270320)

Jeessh....I didn't say that they weren't good guides....they are. They original post wasn't asking for a guide recomendation, he was asking about Lake DuBay.

DuBay is a tough first timer lake IMO, and like I said, IMO, there are better options not too far from there. If he wants to drive up and fish there based on what he sees on the Hooksetter website, go ahead, it's a free country.

THe Hooksetetrs site is no different than most other guides websites....the fishing is always great on every lake.....that was my point, and I admit I didn't say it that way.

Good fishin'!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)