Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Shimano Corsairs
 
Message Subject: Shimano Corsairs

Posted 3/21/2002 3:55 PM (#7019)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


I have a Shimano Corsair 400 (not 400A) that I've only used once and I heard from a friend that they have a defect in the drag design. He said that when fighting a large fish, you'll lose your drag, lure, line, and, obvioulsy fish. I was wondering if anyone could who has one of these reels could confirm this?

Woody

Posted 3/21/2002 4:13 PM (#26982)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


I can confirm it! They are a piece of junk. I've had many fish hit and I can't get a good hook on them because line goes out because of the drag. They were recalling them last year(I think), but I didn't hear about it so I couldn't get a fixed reel. I still have mine but doesn't get any use.

BrettC

Posted 3/21/2002 5:57 PM (#26983)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


Junk, Junk, Junk, Junk, Junk, and Junk. Oh did I mention there Junk.

Later

Jim

Posted 3/22/2002 6:31 AM (#26984)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


Woody,

Do you have the silver Corsair? If you do, then it's the old model and yes, there was a design defect. I had two of these reels that the anti-reverse gave up on.

I sent them to the Shimano repair center and they sent me 2 Corsairs of the new design. The new reels are gold in color. I don't have the address to send them to but you can get that information off of their website.

The new reels have performed flawlessly for me.

Steve @ G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods. http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Posted 3/22/2002 6:56 AM (#26985)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


I have a gold Corsair that has the same drag problem as the silver ones. I am a very big fan of Shimano Reels but these Corsairs seem to be junk. I am sending mine in for repair to see if the problem has been corrected so that I can use this reel. Good luck with yours.

let Em Go...Let Em Grow.....Mike

Posted 3/22/2002 10:33 AM (#26986)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


If you have a deffective reel or some other problems with them send them to:

Shimano America Corporation
One Holland Dr.
Irvine, CA 92618
Atten: Fishing Service

I just recived 2 new corsairs from them so hopefully the work better.

Later

Jim

Posted 3/22/2002 4:24 PM (#26987)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


Seems I'll be returning my 400 for a 400A. THANKS A BUNCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Woody[:)]

Posted 3/22/2002 5:47 PM (#26988)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


Several years ago, I bought a Shimano ultralight spinning reel on which the bail would close during about every third cast. On several occasions the line (4 lb) would snap and the lure would end up flying across the lake.

I wrote them about the problem and was told I was casting wrong or was using a graphite rod (apparently a no no) or was using the wrong weight lure.

I apparently do not have enough fishing experience (about 45 years) or not enough skill to use Shimano equipment. I now avoid this brand as if it might give me AIDS and have found an number of companies that make first class equipment that I am able to use with my limited skills.

Dr Geoffrey G Zoeckler


Posted 3/22/2002 10:50 PM (#26989)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


My advise is to return the 400 for the 400A and sell it on Ebay! Then you can buy a 6500 C3! You'll probably lose a couple bucks but it will be well worth it!

Posted 3/22/2002 11:21 PM (#26990)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


About returning the Corsairs. Can you still send them in for the newer model? I've had mine since they've come out and it seems like 4 or 5 years ago. Do I have to have my warranty on it or will they replace it anyways?

Thanks,

BrettC

Posted 3/23/2002 11:31 AM (#26991)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


bttt

Posted 3/23/2002 4:30 PM (#26992)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


Brett the ones I sent in were the originals about 5 years old and they replaced them no questions asked so I would give it a shot.

Good Luck

Jim

Posted 3/23/2002 10:56 PM (#26993)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


Jim, thanks a lot, I'm definitely gonna give it a try!

Thanks again,

BrettC

Posted 3/24/2002 5:38 PM (#26994)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


I've got a silver Corsair 400 and I NEVER use it. I can't trust the thing. Anyone want to make an offer?

Sean Hudson

Posted 3/28/2002 10:01 PM (#26995)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


will ya take 10 bucks for it? I can use it as a backup

Posted 3/28/2002 10:06 PM (#26996)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


CORSAIRS ARE RUBBISH...PURE RUBBISH!!!!!!!!
Never heard a soul say a good thing about a Corsair. Actually complained to Shimano and they goof on the other side of the line had the nerve to tell me they are a "price point reel." So are the Abu's and they are built like tanks. If you can't afford a Calcutta stick w/ Abu.

Bubba

Posted 3/31/2002 12:47 PM (#26997)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


I have a 400a with Tuf 80lb line on it I would let go cheep.
[:bigsmile:] [:bigsmile:]

Posted 3/31/2002 12:59 PM (#26998)
Subject: Shimano Corsairs


Anon..

They have had some problems with those reels in the past, but I believe the gold ones are much better. Its the musky guys that are having problems. I would think they would work just fine for bass.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)