Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Found the fish - couldn't get them to bite

Message Subject: Found the fish - couldn't get them to bite
dhacker
Posted 5/29/2007 10:50 AM (#258452)
Subject: Found the fish - couldn't get them to bite

Saturday we had 9 follows on lake #1 and 6 on Sunday lake #2. They were so doscile and timid they would follow the bait but just looking. Water temp was 59 on both lakes. One fish even followed a lure around for 10+ times in and around the boat but would not bite.

We used small baits, large baits, bucktails, and topwater and had follows on all of them (except nothing looked at cowgirls). Tried a black (Hawg wobbler); small Kil'r Eels and other baits but could not get them to go. We did not burn anything but just nice slow / medium retrieves with occasional pause/stops or jerks.

Three people in the boat Saturday, one fish followed in on a large black & copper spinnerbait all the way to the boat, moved to the next bait a small bucktail and then went after a submerged topwater figure 8 but no bite.

What would you have done to get them to bite? Sucker minnow at the back of the boat? or is it just a couple weeks early?

Thanks for any advice.
BALDY
Posted 5/29/2007 10:54 AM (#258453 - in reply to #258452)
Subject: Re: Found the fish - couldn't get them to bite

If they were following your baits that were moved slow I would SPEED THEM UP. Make them commit.

If they wont, at least you can cover more water and hopefully encounter a fish that will commit
jclymer
Posted 5/29/2007 11:04 AM (#258456 - in reply to #258453)

Go back to them at prime times.. Sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset or weather changes, as Luke said, move the baits faster...
THE LEGEND
Posted 5/29/2007 11:54 AM (#258467 - in reply to #258452)
Subject: RE: Found the fish - couldn't get them to bite

Just my opinion and was has worked for me. In your situation I think you either have to give them so easy to see and catch that they simply can't pass it up. A spring dawg crawled in. A jig worked super slow. A crankbait just steadily realed in with no crazy jerks or movements. Something that just screams, eat me. OR, exactly what guys have already stated. Move something fast, and try to get that reaction strike. Burn a bucktail, or maybe rip a rattle shad.
ToddM
Posted 5/29/2007 7:14 PM (#258555 - in reply to #258452)

Granted i did not tear them up but with the big wind and my little boat, presentaion had to be basic since it was hard to slow my boat down. I burned bucktails and spinnerbaits all weekend. Caught 2 lost one and some pike. That would not have been my presentation of choice but conditions dictated my presentaion.
Mr Musky
Posted 5/29/2007 11:15 PM (#258592 - in reply to #258452)

Well what worked for us was burn baby burn!!!!!!!!!! And yes we got fish on Double Cowgirls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Figure that one out !! Spring small bait theory! Heck no were writing the books now!!

Mr Musky
musky39
Posted 5/30/2007 6:59 AM (#258607 - in reply to #258452)

Try a 5" Storm Kickin Shad with a muskie hook. I bet they bite that. I had good luck casting them this spring before the water got to warm.
musky-skunk
Posted 5/30/2007 7:14 AM (#258609 - in reply to #258452)

Faster, Slower, guady colors, larger or smaller baits, and deffinately revisit the bigger ones right at sunset up to dark. Sometimes no matter what you do will work, cool to see so many anyhow. I didn't do great memorial day weekend but the lake I fish came up a foot with some recent storm activity. It looked like fishing chocalate milk, not to mention all the recreation boaters on the water. Did get one 40"er and had one about the same size make a fool of herself at boatside missing the bait in a spectacular fashion. Both came on Rad Dogs worked at medium to fast speeds.
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 5/30/2007 4:02 PM (#258718 - in reply to #258452)

As I always say stop fishing for male muskies - You know males of all species have a reluctance to commit.
Tom
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)