Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Launch Antics

Message Subject: Launch Antics
JohnMD
Posted 5/29/2007 8:03 AM (#258410)
Subject: Launch Antics

Let the fun Begin:

Fished Silver on Monday, Just had one low 40's come charging only to miss the topraider after that nothing

At 10:00 the Go fasts and Skiers hit the water with a vengance so I packed up and went home or so I thought I did not get out of the Launch area until 12:00 noon, the weekenders could not figure out how to get thier boats on or off the trailers much less back the trailer into the water, then there were those who could not start the motors so that takes out one of the ramps ( the Funniest one was when some guy backs his trailer into the water and another one drives the boat onto the trailer hooks it up and yells to his Buddy" Good To Go" the driver pulls the Boat out of the water and into the parking lot, guess what WRONG BOAT/TRAILER seems the boat owners truck looked identical and his buddy did not pay attention to the trailer) add to that the DNR talking to folks pulling out about VHS & Weeds on Trailers

cjrich
Posted 5/29/2007 8:08 AM (#258411 - in reply to #258410)
Subject: Re: Launch Antics

Yes. It does sound familiar, does it not?

Craig
bn
Posted 5/29/2007 8:16 AM (#258413 - in reply to #258410)
Subject: RE: Launch Antics

now that is a funny one! I have seen boats roll onto the concrete before by the guys with roller trailers unhooking them before they hit the water...but never a boat onto the wrong trailer...

jonnysled
Posted 5/29/2007 10:08 AM (#258440 - in reply to #258410)

got to watch a couple guys load their new boat for the first time ... i decided to just watch the show and it was a doozy ... bunk trailer all the way into the water .... nope ... out too far and the rope connecting with about 5' to winch ... they did it anyway and dragged half the boat on the back of the trailer with a 20' brand new mastercraft just a bouncin with just a 5' line of tight strap holding it ... funny stuff. they might still be over there dunking and trying for all i know.

i did ask them if they wanted a hand, but nope ... they had it all under control LMAO
ulbian
Posted 5/29/2007 10:16 AM (#258441 - in reply to #258410)

Was heading off the water around 3:30 yesterday, got in line, about 8 boats in front of me so a minor wait, no big deal. Finally got on land at 5pm. Mainly people who couldn't back a trailer up, then they got their boat on off center so they had to back it into the water again. No big deal...these I can live with. HOWEVER, then once everything is set on the trailer right they proceed to pull the boat out of the water just to the water's edge and that's where they wipe everything down, un pack the boat, and proceed to shoot the breeze with others for a good 5 minutes while the line builds and builds.

The best I've ever seen was a guy whose parking brake popped out on him and as he was winching his boat up the truck rolled backwards down the ramp and into the water. I got his rig yanked out of there but for whatever reason he just didn't understand why it would be easier if he unhooked the boat and tied it to the dock. "Just pull the whole thing out." Ugh, ugh, ugh.
Magruter
Posted 5/29/2007 10:21 AM (#258443 - in reply to #258410)

Late fall last year on Okauchee, one of the guys that lived on the lake was getting his nice sports boat out for the winter. After a couple failed attempts to back the trailer in properly he got it right. Pulled the boat on the trailer and forgot to trim his motor up. Literally you could see the sparks flying off the scag. After about 3 people hooting and hollering. He got the hint to stop.
THE LEGEND
Posted 5/29/2007 10:44 AM (#258448 - in reply to #258410)

Got to love the roller trailer crews. About two years ago I was about 4th or 5th in line and was just milling around the ramp while a guy was launching with a roller trailer. I tried to tell him he shouldn't unhook his winch/safety chain until he was all the way in etc......basically I got told how long he had been launching boats and to go pound some sand.....sure enough, the ramp had about a 30 degree grade and he had to stop while coming back,,,,,,kaboom- the boat came sliding off and pretty much ruined the lower half of a fairly new looking Merc 150. Didn't want to be a d%ck , but I just sat there and laughed.
seaman
Posted 5/29/2007 2:29 PM (#258506 - in reply to #258448)

I purchased my first boat last year, I take a little longer to get my boat in and out and I'm not too concerned if someone has to wait a few extra minutes.

If someone else is taking a little longer I'll often lend a hand since not everyone is a pro at the launch.

my .2

THE LEGEND
Posted 5/29/2007 2:40 PM (#258508 - in reply to #258506)

Seaman, I don't think guys care too much about the guys that take an extra minute or two. It is when guys do the stuff they should have done before they were next to drop in; load the boat, check the plug, attach ropes, trim the motor up, pack their lunch, etc.... It is not guys being boat backing/launching elitists as much as it is just common courtesy. It is when people turn what should be a 1 to 3 minute process and turn it into a 15 minute ordeal that irritates people.
seaman
Posted 5/29/2007 2:49 PM (#258512 - in reply to #258508)

I understand but it reminds me of two weeks ago when I was dropping my boat in and I forgot to take off the straps on the back, so the boat wasn't going anywhere! Stupid?? Yes! but really I didn't do it on purpose. And honestly I'm just a little edgy with some not-so-good experiences with other fishermen on the water lately.
johnson
Posted 5/29/2007 3:15 PM (#258519 - in reply to #258410)

A guy backs his boat into the water while somehow backing the right side of his truck onto the dock - good suspension i guess.. lmao
got two -35 and 39.

Bret

Edited by johnson 5/29/2007 3:17 PM
Steve Jonesi
Posted 5/29/2007 3:46 PM (#258524 - in reply to #258410)

Seaman,
I've been doing it a long time and I still forget the straps every now and again. I've done plenty of bonehead stuff, but am always aware of others waiting. Steve
seaman
Posted 5/29/2007 3:49 PM (#258525 - in reply to #258524)

Good to hear Steve, this may be a good time to add that the first time I ever put my boat in (last June I'd say) I forgot the plug. The good news is I learn from my mistakes, the bad news is I always learn the hard way.
crackpot
Posted 5/29/2007 3:55 PM (#258528 - in reply to #258525)

I'd say about everyone has forgotten the plug before...another plus of not unhooking your boat before your motor is started and you're ready to go I guess.
bald eagle
Posted 5/29/2007 4:04 PM (#258529 - in reply to #258410)

was on bald eagle for a evening of lunge fishing got to launch at dark and as usaual it was a parking lot with skiers and fisher people there was a gal there not bad looking telling a couple guys what a idiot her husband was and trying to get them to meet her later at a local pub in the area all the while her boat was floating away the guys and myself neglected to tell her what was going on and all of a suden hubby was waiting at the launch the guys ended up helping her but it wasnt to cool needless to say hubby was pissed and she kinda got what she deserved
muskie! nut
Posted 5/29/2007 5:49 PM (#258536 - in reply to #258410)

I was heading to Canada a couple of weekends ago and the line was long for crossing the border (took us an hour). Well everyone drives down pass the line of vehicles heading to Canada, then turn around and get in line. One guy make a great U-turn and goes over a RR track and his boat axle catches a rail and get ripped out. The left tire is about two feet back from where its suppose to be and the right is about 4 feet back. It still holding up the boat, but its not going anywhere. Not sure what they did. I would be thinking crane and a new trailer. Even ripped the brake lines off. Ouch!!!!!!
muskyone
Posted 5/29/2007 6:47 PM (#258545 - in reply to #258536)

I once unhooked everything but one of the straps in back. In way too much of a hurry would be my guess. Boat floated off of the trailer turned crosswise and stretched the "ratchet strap" so tight I could not get it to release. I could not get the boat free or pull it back out of the water as it is sitting across the trailer and against the dock. I finally leaned over the stern of the boat and cut the strap with my jacknife. Was quite the sight with me with my a$$ in the air and my head under water with my fishing partner cheering me on. No pics that I know of.
ToddM
Posted 5/29/2007 6:59 PM (#258548 - in reply to #258410)

Try forgetting the straps and launching in a river sometime. DOH!

John, I told you last year they need to build bleachers at the silver lake boat launch and what happened? A guy was in such a hurry, when he pulled his trailer out, he hooked his dock rope, almost pulled a dock pole out of the water, rammed his boat into the rocks before the rope snapped. I was lucky I did not get hit with anything.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)