|
|
| Hello All, I need to replace my life-vests in my guide boat this year and I'm considering getting thoes S.O.S Suspender types, I've been told by some that these are only legal if there being worn at all times and I've also been told that some are that way and some are not (manual inflation vs auto inflation) some of the conflicting info is right from the d.n.r. (that shouldn't surprise anyone) I would like to know before I spend 400 or 500 dollars on these. Anyone have the straight scoop on this, thanks in advance. |
|
| |
|
| Sorry Chuck, I can't help you. I would also like to know what the scoop is on these, here in Minnesota I have heard the same as you. Please post your findings. Thanks and Good Luck. |
|
| |
|
| If I read your state's laws and the Sospenders descriptions correctly, here's the scoop:
A manually inflatable Sospenders is a Type III safety device and does not need to be worn at all times but must be readily at hand.
An automatically inflatable Sospenders is classified as a Type V device though once inflated, it gives Type II or III performance. Since it is clssified as a Type V device, according to the Wisc. DNR, it must be worn at all times when underway.
|
|
| |
|
| Chuck, you might want to call your Watercraft department and ask them for their determination in writing. Way too many lawyers out there anyway, you know? My personal philosophy is that life jackets should be on at all times the boat is in the water, but I've been lax in enforcing that with riders who are not related to me. I'll get meaner as I get older. best wishes for a great season! m |
|
| |