Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie Fishing Magazines

Muskie Fishing Magazines
OptionResults
Musky Hunter72 Votes - [58.54%]
Esox Angler51 Votes - [41.46%]

Message Subject: Muskie Fishing Magazines
ghitierman
Posted 4/21/2007 7:26 PM (#252015)
Subject: Muskie Fishing Magazines

What do you prefer? Do you like the general esox topics or do you prefer it specified towards the elusive Esox Masquinongy?

Edited by ghitierman 4/25/2007 3:51 PM
Derrys
Posted 4/22/2007 10:24 AM (#252076 - in reply to #252015)
Subject: Re: Muskie Fishing Magazines

I used to get both, but I let my subscriptions end. I don't really miss either. A lot of the information was recycled, or of no real use to me due to my location. I get the Muskies Inc. magazine, Muskie, and find the information in there to be enough for me. Don't get me wrong, EA and MH are both fine magazines, and I even know people who write for EA. I just didn't think I needed them anymore.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 4/22/2007 10:30 AM (#252077 - in reply to #252015)
Subject: RE: Muskie Fishing Magazines

I am leaning toward Esox Angler. I just like the way it's done and the articals seem better for some reason. Muskyhunter is more fish storys and some good info on patterns, baits or location. Esox Angler seems to give up more info. Maybe it's just the writers helping more, not just telling storys of how they did.

Multi species is cool too. I do love walleye fishing but just don't get the time to do it anymore unless clients want to. Muskies are the king and everyone wants to catch the king.
ToddM
Posted 4/22/2007 1:25 PM (#252092 - in reply to #252015)

I did not and I am not voting. Both should be a selection, it would be mine if it were there. I can't say I really like one fro the other since I enjoy reading and gaining knowledge from oth magazines.
AWH
Posted 4/22/2007 2:08 PM (#252100 - in reply to #252015)

I get both and will continue to do so. For the price of a musky lure, the price of a day's worth of gas on the water, and half the price it costs me to drive to the lake and back (most trips)....they're both worth the subscription cost, in my opinion. EA does seem to offer a new perspective on things that I don't always see in MHM. But the competitive nature of the industry has them both offering something different.

Aaron
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 4/22/2007 5:49 PM (#252123 - in reply to #252015)

As happens every few years, ToddM is correct.
Both should be a selection.
Both are quality publications, each with their own perspective and style.
Both do an admirable job on bringing new packaging each month (which over the long haul has to be incredibly difficult) to a passion that offers little that can be positively identified as new.

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 4/22/2007 5:52 PM
MUSKY TROLL
Posted 4/25/2007 9:21 AM (#252714 - in reply to #252015)

I have a subsciption to MH and sometimes buy EA but I'll buy any mag that has an article on Muskies. I dont know if I'm 100 percent right but one of those mags I swear repeated the same article a year or two apart. Regardless I 'll read anything for fun. There both good mags and I will continue to read them both.
muskymeyer
Posted 4/25/2007 10:47 AM (#252740 - in reply to #252714)

I get both and like both. Different perspectives from different writers make both magazines valuable. And it also means more reading material during the winter. I also get In-fisherman, not as muskie specific as I would like but a good read none the less.

Corey Meyer
musky-skunk
Posted 4/25/2007 11:45 AM (#252757 - in reply to #252015)

Both are a top notch magazine and I read both but I admit I like a magazine that doesn't have articles in it on walleye fishing. I don't mind, and I realize many musky/pike fisherman target walleye so its a good fit and all three compliment the north woods. I just have more articles of interest in MHM than in the all inclusive EA.

As mentioned though... both top notch, and I will likely be a lifetime subscriber of both.
Mr Musky
Posted 4/25/2007 11:50 AM (#252759 - in reply to #252015)

I like them both, both have excellent writers I wish they'd combine and have one fat magazine 4 times a year!

mikie
Posted 4/25/2007 12:03 PM (#252763 - in reply to #252015)

You forgot MI's Muskie magazine, too. The only monthly muskie magazine. m
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/25/2007 12:24 PM (#252767 - in reply to #252015)

I like both and for different reason's. However, I am not voting->like ToddM, I don't see this as much of a survey, i.e., there are other fishing mag's out there whom also touch on muskie fisherman. Yes, a lot of subjects get recycled. But I don't see that as either an author's fault or a publisher's fault.

How about the October/November 1990 Issue of Musky Hunter: "Vertical Jigging for Big Fall Muskies" by Bruce Shumway- I really love the article cover photo!

or "Autumn Cold Front Muskies" by Joe Bucher in the same issue. The entire issue is a gold mine for those who care to prospect.

What about MI Magazine- There are some really great articles written by average guys like you & I (yeah I did write an article on batteries there).

or what about the June/July 1989 1989 issue of the Wisconsin Outdoor Journal-> "Wisconsin's Overlooked Muskie Waters" by Steve Heiting. They are probably still overlooked- Think I need to revisit that one for the 2007 trip plans. The cartoon on page 4 is brilliant if you're a muskie fisherman(see attached photo).

What about the summer issue 2001 of ESOX ANGLER? page 2 -The Real Deal- by Rusty Lilyquist & Pete Maina "Catch & Release: Where is it going" Truly an enlightening and thought provoking discussion. Then there's -> "What Triggers Strikes?" by Doug Johnson, Jason Long, and Rob Kimm- as told to Jack Burns.

Let's see then there's InFisherman, Great Lakes Fisherman, Badger Sportsman, etc, etc. My real point is your survey is really not a survey. It's kind of like saying do you like a poke in the eye with a sharp stick or a nail?

My best advice is to subscribe to what you like- each has it's own style and following. But also you new guys should just order all the back issues to speed your learning curve.

Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 4/26/2007 10:38 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(WI Outdoor Journal.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WI Outdoor Journal.gif (178KB - 85 downloads)
ghitierman
Posted 4/25/2007 3:53 PM (#252822 - in reply to #252015)

So this poll has been pretty close and I am understanding that if both was an option it may be right there, maybe even leveling this out even more. What other magazines besides the Muskie's Inc. Magazine cover musky fishing year round?
john skarie
Posted 4/25/2007 7:27 PM (#252862 - in reply to #252015)

I suscribe to EA, used to get MH.

I found MH to be more of a forum to promote certain lures, which after a few years got to be the same old thing to me.

Also like the newer format including pike and walleyes. Still have the same amount of Muskie info, just added articles.

JS
muskynightmare
Posted 4/25/2007 10:41 PM (#252892 - in reply to #252015)

How about another option?
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com
I never subscribed to one, and let my subscription of the other run out. This site is my favorite magazine, although not printed.

Other than baitmaker's, boat mfg, outboard mfg, and equipment mfg sites, this is the only musky site I visit anymore.

I think Steve has enough talent, opinion, etc., visiting his sites to start his own publication! (if this ever happens, I'd better get a job for saying this! LOL)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)