|
|
| My wife bought me a line counter trolling reel for Christmas. I was looking for suggestions on an appropriate trolling rod. My other rigs are standard bucktail and jerk bait rods. Does anyone have a preference on brand, length, etc? Also what action makes sense, heavy, medium heavy?. I troll jakes, grandmas and depth raiders. It may also get some extra duty on suckers in the fall. I have an old spoonplug trolling rod which is just a short pool cue. I am curious of the advantages of a longer rod. |
|
| |
|
| Though it's a bit pricy, I picked up a G Loomis 7"10" Muskie rod (MUR946C-TR) for trolling. I prefer the extra length but that might be because of my height (6'6") |
|
| |
|
| You do not need expensive rods for trolling. One of the best trolling rods is a cheap Ugly Stick. The handles will be abused in rod holders, rubber handles work fine. There are several low end rods on the market that will work, I like 8 foot or longer rods for trolling.
Good luck, Murph |
|
| |
|
| yep, i use ugly sticks for trolling, tough as nails and only thirty bucks... heavy action though... |
|
| |
|
| Fig Rig Rods came out with a nice light wieght heavy action rod that I thought was ideal for trolling big lures. Check thier web page or call him. Mine didn't even have a modle # yet. www.figrigrods.com |
|
| |
|
| John,
I use the St. Croix 8' Classic cat rods. They are a blend of graphite and fiberglass, you can also use the rod for big cranks, mag bull dawgs, big bucktails, and an excellent sucker rod to boot!! |
|
| |
|
| Ditto with Musky Fever on the CC80H!! Excellent multi-purpose rod.
Rob
www.gomuskygo.com |
|
| |
|
| ditto on the classic cats, great dual purpose rods for trolling and soaking suckers. |
|
| |