Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> DNR- fish handling?

Message Subject: DNR- fish handling?
Concerned about Esox
Posted 4/18/2007 5:24 PM (#251468)
Subject: DNR- fish handling?

This is really unbelievable.

Esox Man
Posted 4/18/2007 6:07 PM (#251477 - in reply to #251468)
Subject: RE: DNR- fish handling?

What state, or prov.?
Violent Strike
Posted 4/18/2007 6:09 PM (#251478 - in reply to #251468)

Looks like they could use some fish handling skills from the Wisconsin boys!
TJ DeVoe
Posted 4/18/2007 6:42 PM (#251483 - in reply to #251468)

What do you mean Violent Strike, that's not how you handle fish up there when your out doing surveys? hehehe! Keith, maybe you could go down and show them boys how to do things right! But wow, that's definitely not how the DNR fisherie guys handled fish when I was out pulling nets with them a couple springs ago!

Edited by Merckid 4/18/2007 7:04 PM
Running_Hot
Posted 4/18/2007 7:03 PM (#251489 - in reply to #251468)

That is shabbona in IL
The Nate
Posted 4/18/2007 9:32 PM (#251517 - in reply to #251468)
Subject: Re: DNR- fish handling?

Are you telling me that your not supposed to employ the heave ho technique once the fish gets back in the splashwell? Thats my "home" lake pretty disappointing.
sworrall
Posted 4/18/2007 9:52 PM (#251523 - in reply to #251517)

I agree the fish were not handled very well in this video. Especially the one pitched from the back of the boat in to the tank....
sled
Posted 4/18/2007 9:58 PM (#251525 - in reply to #251468)

i agree with every thought that everyone is going through. the question is ... is there a club or someone that can make an approach to keep something like this from continuing? ... it looks like there isn't much awareness of the methods that would be best and that the finished data is the priority ...

shocking though to say the least eh?
pgaschulz
Posted 4/18/2007 10:01 PM (#251527 - in reply to #251468)

Got to love our IDNR!!

Edited by pgaschulz 4/18/2007 10:04 PM
OldTimer
Posted 4/18/2007 11:07 PM (#251536 - in reply to #251527)

Got to love our IDNR!!

That's atrocious fish-handling, it looks like they got in over their heads.
Have the local muskie clubs done anything to help with these fish surveys and use the chance to educate those handling the fish? It's easy to snipe from the sidelines at people who are doing their misguided best. Would any muskies be there to handle if it weren't for the beloved IDNR?
Magruter
Posted 4/19/2007 7:15 AM (#251551 - in reply to #251468)

"Video remove by user"
T Shaw
Posted 4/19/2007 9:57 AM (#251595 - in reply to #251468)

This is the same DNR that we all praised for making Illinois into the muskie fishery that it is today.
Keep in mind that this is job for these guys. They don't have the same passion for muskies that we all do. They just want to get their job done and get home to their families.

I truely understand what you are all talking about. I had the same feelings the first time I helped the IDNR with some muskie projects. Then I thought about and remembered the results of their work.
Perhaps we should give these hard working people a tip of the cap instead of a wag of the finger.

Just my .02
esox50
Posted 4/19/2007 10:41 AM (#251605 - in reply to #251468)

Ditto on what T Shaw said. Instead of whining about the poor fish handling, how about thanking them for the time and effort they've put into creating an outstanding muskie fishery. Remember, these fish in IL do not (or do very minimally) spawn so populations are sustained by the hardworking DNR guys through stocking.

These fish are MUCH HARDIER than we give them credit for. Be thankful there is even a muskie fishery available to fishermen in Illinois.
Schuler
Posted 4/19/2007 10:52 AM (#251608 - in reply to #251468)

Well, I can't see the video, but I've heard stories of our DNR leaving fish to die after throwing them in the water...what a shame.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/19/2007 11:14 AM (#251609 - in reply to #251468)

The IL DNR got pretty much gutted a few years back -- I for one am surprised that there's even any money left to do these sorts of studies. I would also bet that the guys who still have jobs probably come to work every day facing conditions and compensation far worse than when they took the job.

Not saying this is the case here, but how many of you have ever gotten to the point with a job where you just plain don't give a $%&# anymore, where you just want to get through the day so you can get (what's left of) your little paycheck and go home and try to forget that you have to do it again tomorrow??

I'm guessing here, but these guys are probably doing this on top of their regular DNR job, for less money than they made 5 years ago, and doing the best they can.

And after all, it IS just a fish. It's a fish that someone without a license will snag on a catfish rig and throw in their car to take home and throw in the freezer where it will sit for 5 years because they don't know how to clean it or how to cook it, only that its the biggest fish they've ever seen and OF COURSE you keep it. It's a fish that someone will catch, leave on a stringer until it dies, and throw it in the water and the end of the day. And like others have eluded to, its a fish that the sooner they toss it back in the water the sooner they can get out of there and go home to their families, who in all likelyhood are struggling to make ends meet on a DNR salary living in an area where a starter house costs $300,000...

We look at it and we think its atrocious, because to us as muskie anglers it IS. But in the grand scheme of conservation, the state of IL, and the world? It's just a fish.

Edited by esoxaddict 4/19/2007 11:26 AM
muskyboy
Posted 4/19/2007 11:38 AM (#251619 - in reply to #251468)

Our current state government cut the IDNR in half a few years ago and this is a great example of what was once a model DNR being gutted. These people are clearly not trained properly and they shouldn't be doing that work until they are. We will voice our concerns to the IDNR and hope this doesn't happen again.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/19/2007 11:42 AM (#251620 - in reply to #251468)

Blood Bath... They laid off 400 DNR employees a while back. More than 35% of their staff. They've been replacing people with years of education and experience with people who have none of either just trying to stay afloat. The governor "reappropriated" $60 million that was SUPPOSED to go to the DNR. The DNR is broke. The whole STATE is broke.

I'm not going to tell you that its ok to mishandle muskies. It bothers me to see this as much as it does anyone, but I can't say I am surprised. The DNR has done an amazing job with what they have to work with. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the guys out there doing that job right now know less about muskies than you and I do. Whatever it is, wherever it is, it takes money to make things work. Take away the money and take away the people who know what's going on, and replace it all with people who just need a job and will work for practically nothing? What do you expect?

I can guarantee you there will be a lot of backlash from this, expecially from the local clubs. I'm certain our chapter will have something to say, but the reality is that the DNR doesn't have the money or personnel to do any better than what they are doing.

Edited by esoxaddict 4/19/2007 11:48 AM
The Nate
Posted 4/19/2007 11:45 AM (#251621 - in reply to #251468)

In response to the giving the IDNR thanks, I think that that is a very valid point. However the IDNR of 5-7 years ago is the group that deserves the thanks, not the current workforce. The establishment of the Illinois muskie fishery was a long process and we are finally seeing some good mature fisheries however these were not created yesterday. My biggest problem with the whole thing was that if a person just getting into the sport or any other uneducated (fish handling wise) spectator were to view that behavior they woudl think it is acceptable. I for one knew about the netting and asked to assist, however I was told they already had enough people. I am pretty sure if this information was more widely available there woudl be plenty of good help around.
Bukes
Posted 4/19/2007 12:33 PM (#251637 - in reply to #251468)

I, for one, will be sending an email at the very minimum to voice my disappointment

Here is the contact from the ILDNR website:

E-MAIL ADDRESSES

IL Dept. of Natural Resources
One Natural Resources Way
Springfield, IL 62702-1271

Fisheries = [email protected]
Bukes
Posted 4/19/2007 12:37 PM (#251638 - in reply to #251468)

esox50 - 4/19/2007 11:59 AM
Let me add one more thing that I hope puts this whole thread/issue into perspective. 32 human beings - someone's child, boyfriend/girlfriend, grandson/daughter - were just slaughtered at Virgina Tech. Why are we fussing about a FISH?

Not to diminish what happended at VT, but this is a musky fishing site.
bulldawger
Posted 4/19/2007 1:45 PM (#251657 - in reply to #251468)

I hope someone emailed the video link to someone within the IL Musky program.
They could be a little gentler with them for sure.
esox50
Posted 4/19/2007 3:28 PM (#251676 - in reply to #251638)

Bukes - 4/19/2007 12:37 PM

esox50 - 4/19/2007 11:59 AM
Let me add one more thing that I hope puts this whole thread/issue into perspective. 32 human beings - someone's child, boyfriend/girlfriend, grandson/daughter - were just slaughtered at Virgina Tech. Why are we fussing about a FISH?

Not to diminish what happended at VT, but this is a musky fishing site.

Understood, but the point was to put the issue in perspective in the grand scheme of things. 'Nuff said.
ghitierman
Posted 4/19/2007 3:49 PM (#251680 - in reply to #251468)

I couldn't see the video but I have 2 cents to put in as well. Yes we should thank our local DNR for the "hard" work they do. However if these guys took a little time to work smarter maybe they wouldn't have to work as hard. There are plenty of easy solutions to handle fish safely, and effieciently without tossing them around.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/19/2007 9:34 PM (#251734 - in reply to #251468)

ghitierman,

What are you implying by 'hard'. The work that DNR guys do, sure might not stack up to road construction, but the work they do is not easy. Also most of the Tech guys doing that type of work are very underpaid.

I think a couple people hit on the fact that these guys may not have any passion about a musky like we do. These guys are likely doing several different surveys with very long hours. They have to get the fish out of the nets, reset the nets, measure, weight, sex, take scale samples and/or fin clips, sometimes apply tags. I was not able to view the video so I cant comment on it specifically, but I know I have seen some mishandling of fish, and I know there are some that handle the fish like its their child. Its a stressfull job, and perhaps the guys doing it were under trained. It wouldnt hurt if you sent an email voicing your concerns, but dont lump all of the IDNR into 'poor fish handlers' and crappy workers.
sworrall
Posted 4/19/2007 10:15 PM (#251743 - in reply to #251734)

Pointer,
Keith comes home some days so beat up he can hardly walk. He's pulling a double today working Fyke nets and still isn't home from work.

I think the hardest work he does is trout stream reclamation.

I don't think anyone would complain about the field work being too easy.
Derrys
Posted 4/19/2007 10:21 PM (#251747 - in reply to #251468)

We've got a member of the MN DNR in our Chapter of Muskies Inc. He's "taken it in the shorts" at a couple of meetings, but does not take it personal. He knows we care about the resource, and he does too. It's really nice to have that kind of access to information, instead of having to wait weeks or even months to find things out. We had a 49" fish die last year at an outing. He cut out the jawbone and had it tested. At the next meeting he told us it was a 12+ year old fish, which I believe is a pretty good growth rate for a MN lake. We'd have had no clue without him doing that. If you're out there, "Thanks Jim".
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/20/2007 8:35 AM (#251786 - in reply to #251468)

Ouch....double shift of Fyke nets. Fyke nets are cool but can get repetitive and some that are placed in certain areas can be a bugger to reset. The worst is when you catch that school of bluegills and crappies of which none reach anything bigger that 5 inches. Nothing like counting 400 tiny gills!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)