Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Update on the 54" Proposal

Message Subject: Update on the 54" Proposal
Ty Sennett
Posted 4/17/2007 8:52 AM (#251149 - in reply to #250229)
Subject: RE: Update on the 54" Proposal

Pete Maina introduced the 54" Green Bay proposal in Hayward/Sawyer County and it passed with 100% margin. I also introduced a Chippewa Flowage 50 inch limit and it passed with 100% margin. We walked out of there saying "wow, that was a little too easy".

Ty
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/17/2007 9:00 AM (#251152 - in reply to #250229)

Awesome news Ty!!!

We had an excellent trunout at the Waukesha County meeting last night form the local musky crew including a good number of familiar M1st folks....thanks everyone. They used a ballot sytem for the resolutions so I don't know how our vote turned out. We didn't get any opposition....I have a feeling it went good.

I spoke with several authors from other counties and they all had a good repsonse too. Hopefully we'll be seeing this on the ballot next year!!!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS DEDICATED THEIR TIME, ENERGY, AND EFFORT INTO SUPPORTING THIS AND OTHER IMPORTANT ISSUES!!!!!

Dennis
bn
Posted 4/17/2007 9:02 AM (#251153 - in reply to #250229)

I voted in Dane Co. and from what I saw there were a lot of musky folks on hand to vote for the 54" question...
Doug Kloet
Posted 4/17/2007 2:25 PM (#251213 - in reply to #250229)

I authored it here in Kenosha county. There was no comments made so hopefully that is a good thing. Attendances was about the same as it always is. There was a couple of guys from ILL. that came up to vote, I thank them for there support.

Doug Kloet
http://www.muskymagictackle.com
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/17/2007 2:42 PM (#251219 - in reply to #250229)
Subject: Re: Update on the 54" Proposal

Did any of the meetings have any good heated debates? The Portage Co. one was rather dull/boring and I also felt it was relatively poorly run compared to how it was run up in Onieda Co. when I attended last year for the Pelican Lake 50".

I missed the beginning of the meeting whent hey described what goes into being a CC member....anyone know what it all entails? ie: what I would have to do if I ran and won a position? I was strongly considering running last night.
muskie! nut
Posted 4/17/2007 6:13 PM (#251248 - in reply to #250229)

Yeah, Mike, here in Dane County it was just the reading of the questions and I told my buddy, we will be outta here early, then the CWD/Sharpshooter questions hits. I bet we spent 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour on that. Some folks brining up issues that had nothing to with the topic. I spoke too soon. But the with the exception of who has jurisdictions of making the refuge on the Mississippi near Grant Co. it was smooth.
muskynightmare
Posted 4/17/2007 7:10 PM (#251261 - in reply to #250229)

That sharpshooter one struck me funny. Isn't this state full of sharpshooters??????????? The Warden at ours said that some folks do not consider what is behind the target, and sharpshooters pick out safe lanes of fire. 2nd rule of gun safety taught in hunter's safety: know your target and what is beyond. Heck, give us vets more tags, and we will go down and thin that herd!

Also, The fisheries rep in our county, after our Author read it, said "because that in theory, they grow so fast, they probably don't get much bigger than that". Thankfully, Shep is AWESOME at thinking on his feet, and cited several catches that were WAY beyond 54".

Good job to Dennis, Shep, and everone else around the state. When we speak, the DNR (eventually) has to listen!
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/17/2007 9:34 PM (#251303 - in reply to #250229)

I got a message from Greg Wells who authored in Sheboygan County and somehow he found out the final vote on the 54" resolution there was 57 - YES & 4 NO.....very impressive!!!! Hopefully this is the trend for the other counties.

As far as debates.......Waukesha went smooth.....Door County had one guy worried about his grandson not being able to keep a fish if he gets one while perch fishing. Douglas County had a guy flat out stating that muskies attack children and they (the muskies) should all be killed.

For the most part all the feedback and response I have heard has been consistently positive and I think we will be seeing this one on the ballot for next year. It looks like our work has just begun!!!!

The real accomplishment & credit today needs to go to every individual who attended and voted YES last night....those were the one who are making the biggest differnece in giving this resolution a shot at passing!!! Thanks to each and every one of you....YOU ROCK!!!!!

I have a call into Greg Wells.....I want to know how he got his counties results already.
ESfishOX
Posted 4/17/2007 10:51 PM (#251326 - in reply to #250229)

Dennis, did the others have to field questions like you did: average time to get from 50" to 54" and facts about those harvested on GB in '06?
dannyboy
Posted 4/18/2007 8:02 AM (#251358 - in reply to #250229)

in forest county. i made some comments and asked for questions. there were none.
we only had 28 people there including the panel.
hopefully we got some yes votes.

dannyboy
[email protected]
www.dannyboysguideservice.com
Shep
Posted 4/18/2007 8:37 AM (#251362 - in reply to #251358)

I counted 56 people in the Outagamie County hearing. There were a couple questions. To be fair, Kendall was cited what he had been told by the previous biologist, Kevin. He did state that this fast growth, burnout, and early death was just a theory. No known data on this. I did counter with the 3 very large fish caught the past two years, 2 of which were released.
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/18/2007 9:48 AM (#251385 - in reply to #250229)

Our proposal to get a 54" size limit is not about removing the rights of licensed anglers to harvest fish, it's about preserving a young fishery and giving the 50"ers a better chance of reaching a greater potential.

We have a great deal of momentum and support generated so far on making successful strides and we need to keep our energy focused on the goal...I think we will have alot of work ahead of us on this one.

Just a few thoughts in response to a few e-mails I got this morning.

Dennis
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/18/2007 10:31 AM (#251391 - in reply to #250229)

I just spoke with Greg Wells and got a few more early results on some of the other counties. Sawyer County passed 100% and Brown County had no opposition.
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/18/2007 12:47 PM (#251404 - in reply to #250229)

Here's the final results on all the ballot items from Monday night, but not the 54" resolution...still looking for those.

The good news is you will see an incredible level of support on all the ballot issues for musky related items. This indicates good news for all of us!

Not for the GB 54, but for questions which were in the booklet.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/congress/springhearings/2007/results/
Dennis Radloff
Posted 4/19/2007 9:12 AM (#251579 - in reply to #250229)

I heard from the Door County author last night who said it passed there.... a little closer margin 25 - YES and 19 - NO.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)