Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New Recruits?

Message Subject: New Recruits?
Pathfinder44
Posted 4/13/2007 10:42 AM (#250584)
Subject: New Recruits?

Have any of you had the joy of mutating one of you friends or family members into a musky fisherman? I have a good friend at work who last year did some trolling with me and and seemed discouraged we didnt catch fish. He did go purchase a rod and reel combo which I would consider suitable for musky. We enjoy fishing bass and panfish from time to time but what is a person to do if he wants to see his buddy turn green like the HULK and fish muskys more often????
crackpot
Posted 4/13/2007 10:49 AM (#250587 - in reply to #250584)
Subject: RE: New Recruits?

get him a musky hooked on the other end of the line...that normally does the trick.
asteffes
Posted 4/13/2007 10:58 AM (#250590 - in reply to #250584)

Try to make it as fun as possible! I think they have to already love to fish before being introduced to muskies. We all know that muskie fishing doesn't put out large numbers of fish. People who just love fishing anyway will understand that. Seeing one caught up close usually does the trick, whether he nets it for you or you net it for him, the thrill of putting one in the boat will usually turn them to the dark side. I have a buddy who has fished with me for over a year and has yet to catch one. He is HOOKED already despite his lack of luck. He has lost several fish and had many follows and netted well over 20 for me. He just is snake bitten, but we will get him that first one this year, I am GUARANTEEING IT!

Show your enthusiasm for the sport and it is usually contagious! Help them be successful, tell them lures to throw, how to present them, etc....

I have been hooked for almost 10 years now and it is the greatest thing ever!
Pathfinder44
Posted 4/13/2007 11:03 AM (#250592 - in reply to #250584)
Subject: Re: New Recruits?

That sounds right but the reason I started was because they laughed at my 7 foot rod and my 75lb tackle box and my huge net and they laughed again when my buddy on the same pontoon caught a 40incher on 4lb test on a wavvy tail jig, They laughed even harder the next weekend they found one in my tackle box and watched me try to cast the thing!Im looking for specific instances and stories but you hit the nail right on the head crackpot.....Thanks
Donnie3737
Posted 4/13/2007 12:29 PM (#250605 - in reply to #250584)

Some of the hype involved can get people more interested. Take him to a meeting or two that discuss muskies, and talk about upcoming trips, fish caught, and video is good too!

Once you get him a little more jazzed about it, then stick a pig with him...help him get his first EVER!

Donnie
gtp888
Posted 4/13/2007 1:16 PM (#250622 - in reply to #250584)

This is the same thing I'm going thru with a buddy of mine who I fish with regularly. He fishes Walleyes almost all the time. A few years back, he sort of bemoaned musky fishing saying things like "you cast and cast and cast and might not even see a fish all day. I like to fish and have action." You get the picture. I've been slowly wearing on him I reckon since he came up with the idea of us going on a week long musky fishing trip to northern Wisconsin this fall. The trip is booked and lodging is taken care of.

I'm taking him out in May to try his first musky hunt so he has some idea of what it's all about and get him used to handling large baits with heavier rods/reels.

I appreciate the tips give on this thread to help me make it fun for him. I think I might have my hands full, but we'll have fun no matter what.

Edited by gtp888 4/13/2007 1:28 PM
Marc J
Posted 4/13/2007 2:32 PM (#250638 - in reply to #250584)

I got a buddy with no previous fishing experience involved in musky fishing last September. The first few times out we had enough action to keep in interested, follows and hits, but none in the boat.

Funny part is we hit Mille Lacs in November on a cold windy day. Drove an hour and change to get there, and this DNR lady at the ramp is there to talk about zebra mussels and weeds - she goes on and on about how crazy we are for going out there and to be careful and everything, on and on. I can see my partner is starting to get concerned. We get out there in the rollers and he refuses to even stand up. I make 3 casts and he's on the verge of freaking out, all out panic attack, so we head in and head home.

We weren't the only ones on the lake but that didn't make my friend feel any better.

Thanks Lady, whoever you are. Next time just keep it to yourself and let us fish.

He's still excited to fish though, we have a few trips planned and hopefully we'll get him his first sometime in June.
ghitierman
Posted 4/13/2007 3:34 PM (#250647 - in reply to #250584)

I got hooked by looking at pictures. I hasd never fished ski's befor and after seeing pictures of "small" muskies and realizing that trophy bass were still bait for these things I made the switch. The real fever hit when I was on Eagle and my buddy had a 50" follow a crane off a reef. This fished chased that crane around a whole bunch of figure 8's with it's mouth wide open befor it took off. Pissed we didn't get the fish to hit. But even more excited to chase it the rest of the week. We saw the same fish 3 times. I have only caught 2 and they were just barely legal but I get almost excited seeing a big one.
gills
Posted 4/13/2007 4:27 PM (#250664 - in reply to #250584)

I have a buddy who never musky fished before. a few years ago he went to pewaukee with me. we had 12 follows and I caught a 42 on my 13 or 14th figure 8. He was hooked from then on and he now goes to minnesota for a week every year.He has the sickness.
dockboylures
Posted 4/13/2007 7:34 PM (#250675 - in reply to #250664)

I really got into it when I realized that lakes around my area actually had muskies and that they were catchable. I think a lot of people get turned off because they think catching a musky only happens once in a blue moon; the old fish of 10000 casts. I knew some lakes around me had muskies, but thought it was pure luck to catch one. You hear those stories of a lake that has muskie, but they only get caught by a 7 year old fishing for panfish off the dock. Take a newbie to an action lake on a good day where they are going to see follows, have hits, and maybe catch one. Of course I love catching them, but seeing a nice follow in gin clear water is almost just as exciting.
Posted 4/13/2007 8:04 PM (#250685 - in reply to #250584)

Similar question. How about re-converting a former muskie guy whose gone back to the wimpy fish?

Short story, I have a very close friend who was my fishing buddy for years, ever since we were young kids. Early on, we caught bullheads and panfish, as we got older we started fishing for bass, which was a lot of fun as 10-15 year olds. As we hit our late teens, bass fishing started to get to be a little shy on the adrenaline levels, and we were looking for more excitement. We had muskie encounters over the years, and we both decided that we should target muskies. We had some early success, and we became obsessed with muskies.

This lasted for about 3-4 years. Early on, we both had no idea what we were doing, but we bought all the gear and were routinely making weekend fishing trips putting in 15+ hours on the lake daily. Like everyone, we had some long days, but also caught some nice fish along the way. My fever for the sport grew and grew.

Somehow, someway, my buddy started to lose interest. He started insisting that we start bringing along our bass and walleye gear on outings. He's a good friend, so I didn't object and to be honest, on some of those long days a short bass diversion can be fun. Then, he started wanting to make specific walleye outings and bass outings. I did a few of these. I figured it was just a phase. But it wasn't. We started fishing with some other friends. I wasn't really interested in walleye fishing. He was no longer interested in muskie fishing.

To this day I can't get him to go muskie fishing anymore. We remain great friends, and I still occasionally go bass fishing with him. But I'd sure like to get him back into muskies.

It's not like he never had success. He caught some nice fish and netted quite a few of mine. It's been about 10 years now since we were last fishing together for muskies, and at least 5 years since I last asked him to go muskie fishing with me. We are still very good friends.

Anybody got any advice? And don't worry...no, I am not looking for any psycho-babble about how to be touchy-feely and honest with my feelings to the guy.

Rather, and more to the point, I am wondering whether anyone has been obsessed with the sport, then leave the sport and then get back into it? If so, what did it for you? What made you come back?

Thanks for any responses.

BNelson
Posted 4/14/2007 10:40 AM (#250744 - in reply to #250584)

I've been fortunate enough to get a few people their first musky...I took a gal pal out and she put 2 in the boat in 15 min. w/ me one evening on topwaters a few years back...after a long day last fall a buddy got his 1st w/ me casting..a chunky 34"er and years back I got a buddy hooked after he put 5 in the net on opening day on Wingra...
best bet to get them hooked is hit action waters at prime times and get them some hits on topwaters or follows..that gets their juices flowing....don't take newbies to low density, trophy waters the 1st time out..my 2 cents

Edited by MSKY HNR 4/14/2007 10:48 AM
Kazmuskie
Posted 4/14/2007 11:00 AM (#250745 - in reply to #250584)

I got two of my cousins each their first on Wingra last year. None for me, hehe. Now they want to make the trip down here a yearly thing. I have other family I'm taking out for their first attempts this summer. I also had a good friend get his first and second last season. He and I are regular partners now. I am pretty new to the sport myself (4th season), so I figured I should get friends of mine interested and create a couple regular fishing partners. Another friend I fish with most often scored his first with me a few years back, as I did with him that same season. I've had a lot of fun taking friends and family out to try and get them their first. It's nice to have a good numbers lake like Wingra 20 minutes from your door to do this stuff on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)