Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Following tigers

Message Subject: Following tigers
sorenson
Posted 4/9/2007 2:49 PM (#249833)
Subject: Following tigers

I took the boys out this morning for a couple hours before a front hit; we had a great time and had 4 follows. Now, that in and of itself is unusual for tigers in my experience - they usually seem to commit early to eating or darting away. Now none of these fish were very big, in fact, all were pretty small; but it got me to thinking. What if they had been big? What would I have done different? Just having 4 follows in slightly less than 2 hours told me that I had a bait on that, if not right, was certainly getting their attention. Three of the follows came all the way to the boat, one darted off about 15' out. Only one was what I would even consider moderately hot. I was fishing shallow (<6') for the most part in flooded willows, not real thick, but enough that I was getting hung up fairly regularly, so not all of my lures were going to be effective. Change it or not? (sorry, the 'make your partner put on something different and see what happens' answer is not correct...neither of the kids were much into fishing - mostly reading and eating snacks today).

I have to confess that initially, I changed to a small bucktail and ran it w/ some speed trying to illicit a strike. Then I thought to myself, "You already know what the fish are responding to, and it's laying at your feet in the bottom of the boat, put it back on you fool." I put it (Hawgseekers Bassnatcher) back on and then resumed seeing fish...but still not catching any. Like I said, not getting any didn't bother me today, but had a couple of those fish been pretty nice, I could see myself getting pretty frustrated. But hey, at least I'm fishing.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Sorno
ghoti
Posted 4/9/2007 4:13 PM (#249841 - in reply to #249833)
Subject: RE: Following tigers

Give those lures a good washing. You probably brought the "follow" syndrome back west with you by soaking your lures in Wisconsin waters. Hopefully you haven't contaminated the whole lake.
butterwheels
Posted 4/9/2007 4:30 PM (#249845 - in reply to #249833)
Subject: Re: Following tigers

i've been getting the same thing, lookers no takers. i raised 3 fish in about an hour, hour and a half timespan last...thursday. lost what would've been my first tiger that night on a baby wabull (stupid rocks...). good fish too, well past 30in.
next night, i had a 30" follow on a creeper of all things, and another of similar size on a reg. wabull. fishing from shore also has the disadvantage of not being able to effectively figure 8 the lure w/o spooking the fish. at least, i haven't figured that out yet.

however, the one fish i got to eat (then promptly lost) by going back to the area i saw it about 20-30min after the initial sighting, trying varying retrieve speeds, length of pause, etc. that's something i've been thinking about a lot lately...what was i doing when i saw the fish, and what can i do differently with the same lure to make it open it's mouth? i wouldn't changed in your situation either, just tried different things with the same bait.

you've got PM too sorno. we're gonna make these things eat!
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/9/2007 4:43 PM (#249847 - in reply to #249833)

You guys keep toying with them tigers over there......when I come out there we'll solve the mystery and put them all in the boat!
muskie! nut
Posted 4/9/2007 5:36 PM (#249853 - in reply to #249847)

Gee, Mike I would have thought that you would have told them to do a circle and let them run into your legs.
BrianSwenson
Posted 4/9/2007 9:11 PM (#249890 - in reply to #249833)

I would change. but not too far away. like switch to a suick or bobbie or switch the color.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)