Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Thinking of hanging the shingle, questions of established guides

Frozen
Message Subject: Thinking of hanging the shingle, questions of established guides
CiscoKid
Posted 4/12/2007 9:18 AM (#250322 - in reply to #250317)
Subject: Re: Thinking of hanging the shingle, questions of established guides

Well said Shep.
sworrall
Posted 4/12/2007 9:37 AM (#250329 - in reply to #249747)

Shep, great perspective.

I started giuding when I was 22 years old. I had quite a few folks ask if I wasn't too young, and many questioned my experience. exactly what Shep suggested happened to me as my regular clients returned and word spread about the Muskies in Oneida County.

Rob, you have the perfect personality to guide/instruct. I'd say go for it!
muskynightmare
Posted 4/12/2007 9:41 AM (#250331 - in reply to #249747)

Thanx Guys!
Serpant
Posted 4/12/2007 9:47 AM (#250333 - in reply to #250331)

From Buddy's post...."I'd say follow my Grandpas sage old wisdom. He told me that he'd rather hear me tell him stories about what I had done than what I wish I had done. Sounds like you've got the itch to do it so go ahead."

Great advice...I heard that also.

The other saying that caught my attention is...."How does a musky fisherperson become a millionaire?...Start with 2 mill." Luv it.

Right there tells me most of these guys do it for the thrill of the hunt, to be on the water, and pass on the knowledge.

Have fun with it man.

Chris

Edited by Serpant 4/12/2007 9:52 AM
Steve Jonesi
Posted 4/12/2007 10:02 AM (#250334 - in reply to #249747)

If you really want to do it, then by all means do it and do it right.I know a guy who had dabbled in guiding very part time, and due to some life changing circumstances(divorce), decided it was time to chase the "Dream".He gave himself a 2 year time frame to "get it done".He poured everything he had into it, including a lot of time , money and sacrafice. He told himself , at the end of 2 years, he would sit back and take an honest assessment. Well, with the help of a lot of people along the way, this guy has turned the Dream into reality. It CAN be done. Motivate yourself to succeed and you will. Good luck! Steve

"Success is my only %^%$#@ option, failure's not"-E
Phish Killer
Posted 4/12/2007 10:05 AM (#250336 - in reply to #250209)
Subject: RE: Thinking of hanging the shingle, questions of established guides

esox junkie - 4/11/2007 3:47 PM

I have been reading this post for some time now. For me personally, a guided fish I caught would not be as rewarding as catching one on my own, therefore I would never hire one. This is musky fishing, part of the excitement is the hunt, the thrill of figuring it out.

I am sorry Rob, but from reading your posts over the years, and this is trying to be constructive, you are not qualified to be a guide. How many actual fish have you caught? Again, this is not a personal attack, just the reality of the situation.

As for other guides, I am not a fan of them as guides. As people they may be great, but I think it is exploiting and ruining several of the good lakes out there, for personal gain. (financial) There really can not be any other motivation to guide then the money, and if one is given it is sugar coating in my opinion. Do you really enjoy taking people out, fixing messes, backlashes, untangling lines, answering a gazzilion questions? i doubt it. If you do, take out kids...and teach them for free. What it boils down to is the dollar.

What really bothers me, is the tendency for guides to pick up and move to a new area and start guiding right away. The movement towards MN for example. without naming names, how many of these guys had really good experience on these lakes prior to showing up there and opening up a guide business? Or how about the mn guides who are now setting up shop in Indiana and else where. Do these guys have the credentials on those bodies of water to charge people?

Take a step back and put yourself in the real world. Would you hire an investment banker to do your companies-year end audit? I doubt it.

Sorry for the rant.

If you ran for President I would vote for you.

Great post
esoxaddict
Posted 4/12/2007 11:39 AM (#250354 - in reply to #249747)

I think we've touched on a few key points:

1. A good guide has to be a good fisherman.

Since nobody will ever agree on what that is, the only way to know is an honest self assessment.

2. Being a good fisherman doesn't make you a good guide. Being a good fisherman and having the right personality does. Again, honest self assessment time, nobody else but you knows if you have the personality for it.

3. You have to love guiding to be a musky guide. (There is a difference between loving fishing and loving guiding)

4. If you doubt any of the above, maybe you aren't ready. Doubting how it will turn out is one thing, but if you are doubting your abilities its something you should take a long look at.

5. Listening to the the advice of people who have something against guiding, or something against you personally, or just have no idea what they are talking about is not in your best interest. No matter who you are somebody who has probably never met you will find something bad to say about you.
sworrall
Posted 4/12/2007 12:24 PM (#250367 - in reply to #250354)

Phish Killer and Junkie,
What possible difference does your comment about guides moving about the country make? Most of them are very, very accomplished anglers, and rapidly adjust to new water and situations. I'd hire Lee Tauchen no matter WHERE he fishes. What, a Guide has to be some ancient old dust farting relic anchored to a couple local lakes to know how and where to catch muskies?

If one has the talent and decides to try one's hand at any trade, that's the way it is here in the good old USA. ANYONE fishing is exploiting the resource, and that's a fact. The guide gets paid to teach, show the water and good areas to others, and to entertain those who have selected to hire him/her. I get weary of the MINE! MINE! MINE! sentiment, especially when it's thinly veiled with irrelevant accusations.

A large part of any local economy for lodging, sports shops, and other local business welcome guides, big time. I won't even begin to talk about the trickle down throughout the entire industry for tourism, and all other businesses and entities associated with that water, all the way to the DNR, but I'd suggest you look at the debate over competitive angling in Wisconsin for a taste of that.

I don't recall the question asking if you 'like guides'. If I listened to your self proclaimed 'rant', I'd have never tried Guiding, and talking about trickle down effect; MuskieFIRST wouldn't exist.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/12/2007 12:39 PM (#250369 - in reply to #249747)

"What, a Guide has to be some ancient old dust farting relic to know how and where to catch muskies?"

Post of the day right there...

Although I admit, it is a bit odd hearing a phrase such as that coming from someone with what appears to be a wooden nickel in their profile picture

Edited by esoxaddict 4/12/2007 2:32 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/12/2007 12:42 PM (#250370 - in reply to #249747)

I agree! "I cant see where to cast, your dust farts are clouding up the whole lake!"
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 4/12/2007 12:53 PM (#250374 - in reply to #250317)

I think what I like most about Shep's post was his abilty to reference a quote from THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES. "Endeavor to Perservere" -Chief Dan George
But wasn't the Character Lone Watie actually quoting Abraham Lincoln? I can't remember.....
Raider150
Posted 4/12/2007 12:59 PM (#250376 - in reply to #250317)

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will find out soon enough if you are cut out to be a guide. Remember to take the grain of salt everyday too. Your gonna need it. People will be people. Once you get that first Muskie for a client it should be all down hill after that. Just remember you can't make them bite!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Raider150 4/12/2007 1:01 PM
muskynightmare
Posted 4/12/2007 2:19 PM (#250391 - in reply to #249747)

Thanx to everyone, for everything. Picking up a guides license in a week or two!
Rock on Wayne, Rock on Garth!
muskyz
Posted 4/12/2007 2:21 PM (#250392 - in reply to #249747)

As others have said you will want to get the right insurance should a mishap occure. Usually the insurance will run app. 500 per year.
mskygyd
Posted 4/12/2007 3:27 PM (#250408 - in reply to #249747)

I think that if you have to ask the question - you've already answered it.
Musky guiding is tough - the grind of maintaining and cleaning equipment and boat - the late nights and early mornings. Getting to bed in June or July at 11:30 p.m. and getting up and back at it at 3:30 a.m. is the part most people don't think about. Two key elements to being a successful guide is Passion and Personality. Clients should arrive as customers and leave as friends. Good practice for this would be to be a bartender for awhile - great guide training for people skills.
Get good insurance and a great tax accountant - don't skimp on these.
Your equipment will be scrutinized - use the best.
Have a very, very understanding woman - a successful career woman - even better.
The multi - species angle works well. Some clients just want muskies - others just want a bend in the rod. If you can put clients on Walleye, Bass Pike etc. every time out - they will have a good time and come back.
Numbers are nice but boat some over 50" and you will be validated.
Word of mouth is the best advertising - If you catch 'em - they will come.

Kevin Moore
Muskies etc. Guide Service
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)