Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Lake Shelbyville Below Dam

Message Subject: Lake Shelbyville Below Dam
Whipblash
Posted 3/25/2007 4:00 PM (#247113)
Subject: Lake Shelbyville Below Dam

Went to Shelbyville lake today. Got there just before the sun rose and there were quite a few people already there. First time back since October 2006. You could say I had high hopes for the muskie. There were a few of them caught the rest of the day by the time I left at 3pm. Water was still cold even though we were in the 80's and had some over cast which I was hoping would make it a great day for fishing.

I threw everything I had from spoons, buzzbaits, crankbaits, bucktails, spinners, 6" jake, and more. What was being caught by people were on live bait. The muskie were seen from time to time swirling on the top of the water.

I did manage to hook in to one muskie. Caught him on a 6" jake. The muskie hit, I pulled back and he ran. I was using a ABU Garcia Record reel and a Walmart Quatum Tesion 6'6" rod. Best rod for 18.99. I hooked my first muskie last September with one of the Tesion rods and bought 3 more for my other reels. Back to the muskie running. I am thinking I have a huge muskie. Somehow I ended up hooking the muskie in the tail. If anyone has hooked a fish in the tail before, then you know that they are just as tough to fight. My nephew tried to use the hand gaf but wasn't very successful as the fish took off a little. I finally told my nephew if he could remove the hooks without having to pull him out of the water do it. So thats what we did. My first muskie experince was last September and since then I had caught 4 last year and one this year. I would have loved to have gotten a picture of this but since the camera was in the truck and the fish was hooked in the tail, I had to think about the welfare of the fish before my pride of a picture.

Anyone know when the muskie actually start biting lures in shelbyville?

Thanks
lunker1952
Posted 3/25/2007 4:40 PM (#247118 - in reply to #247113)
Subject: RE: Lake Shelbyville Below Dam

if your worried about the welfare of the fish why a gaff and not a net.no matter where you gaff it your doing damage,a net is always better.they hit lures all the time when they feel like it.

Lunker
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)