Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> wiring...

Reply New post
Message Subject: wiring...
Bruce
Posted 3/5/2007 8:45 PM (#243053)
Subject: wiring...

Need to wire up this boat. New bow light, new bow mount electric, light switch, etc. Does anyone here wire their own stuff? Should I solder?? or use wire nuts with some shrink tube? Right now I have a huge 6 ga wire running bow to stern, that the mfg said to use for their motor, my old one. I can go to a lighter wire, the local dealer says they do. Now I will use a MK PD55 on the bow. Thanks.
Scott Webster
Posted 3/5/2007 10:14 PM (#243072 - in reply to #243053)
Subject: RE: wiring...

Use the 6 GA and solder. Then shrink tube the solder joints.
muskynightmare
Posted 3/5/2007 10:44 PM (#243078 - in reply to #243053)
Subject: Re: wiring...

Yeah, what Scott said. If you live near Appleton, contact me. We can make an afternoon out of it, and drink a few in the process.
Bruce
Posted 3/6/2007 9:31 PM (#243263 - in reply to #243053)

I'm east of you, the other side of Lake Michigan. When I looked at the solder 'irons' at a store the other day, I was astounded at the choices, and tips available. I'm sure they use different temperatures. I need to find a way to narrow the choices down. Warmer weather is coming and I am really getting antsy.....(I was never like this before I had a boat.)
Jim Stroede
Posted 3/6/2007 10:26 PM (#243269 - in reply to #243263)

Like they said above, use the #6 wire for the trolling motor. Bigger wire is a better conductor and has less resistance, and less chance of getting too hot under the demands of a powerful electric motor.

As for soldering, I think crimping connections works just fine. Be sure to buy the correct size crimp connectors for the size of wire you have and use the proper crimping tool. I like to wrap my connections with 3M super 33+ electrical tape too. I've even gone as far as crimping, wrapping with rubber spliceing tape and then wrapping with 33+.

Jim Stroede
www.jimstroedefishing.com
Shep
Posted 3/7/2007 8:20 AM (#243310 - in reply to #243269)

I would use the 6 ga for the new bowmount. And then get a new dealer, for telling you to use lighter guage wire for your TM. If you are running new wiring for the Bow Lights, bow locator, you can use 16 ga. Run these from the console. I do not recommend running these items from the TM Battery.
Bruce.
Posted 3/7/2007 10:14 AM (#243333 - in reply to #243053)

Thanks for the help. My deep cycle will be in the bow this year. Dont know if I will even need to use the heavier wire. PD55 wires may reach the battery. Will know soo enough when it warms enough to work outside. Motor came with these small loops and I have larger ones to fit the posts of the new battery up front. I would like to solder those, and the inline fuse for the motor as well. Bought my lights from the dealer, as well as the fuse. Going to see if they have the quick release plug for the motor as well. I believe they sold my a resetable 40 amo fuse. Wonder if they saw how green I was when I walked in...
Bruce
Posted 3/7/2007 10:28 AM (#243334 - in reply to #243053)

One more q, is there a solder that can be used at one temp, for all wires, regardless of gauge???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)