Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Truck Tires

Reply New post
Message Subject: Truck Tires
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/5/2007 9:19 PM (#230303 - in reply to #228733)
Subject: RE: Truck Tires

That is funny. I made them put the Goodyears back on and it's like I'm driving a snowmobile again. If you ask the highperformace crowd they'll tell you that some tires run better on some cars. This must be the case with that tire and the Durango. I will say that they were smooth and wore well, they were just unsafe on my truck.
longhunter
Posted 1/6/2007 4:25 PM (#230407 - in reply to #228733)

Bf goodrich, no problem in mud or snow. I got 70,000 miles only rotating the tires every 10,000. Could of gotten 5000 more but we were going up to Canada and you don't take chances up there.
Got Esox?
Posted 1/7/2007 9:25 PM (#230623 - in reply to #228733)

OK, here is the real deal on tires:

Every Tire Manufacturing Tire Company that exists has different level products for to match consumers different needs. Also, that tire that works best for you is most likely not what exactly next guy in line is looking for in a tire. But all those things aside since we are all glued together on this website by the fact that we all enjoy (most of the time) fishing musky, therefore we pull boats, put on a descent amount of miles, travel in adverse conditions, and want the optimum amount of traction without compromising ride quality.

Here is the product I have encountered that just plain rocks! Goodyear has a tire called the WRANGLER SILENT ARMOR (please don't confuse this tire with the Wrangler RT/S). It has Kevlar in it which dampens road noise and gives you a flexible strength, also allows the tire to run cooler. It has a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty, 30 day free trial period, and (here's the kicker) if you get stuck within a 100 feet of a paved surface, they pay for your tow out! So everything aside, if this tire could go on all of our trucks & suvs, 99.9% of us would be very satisfied. I love mine along with everyone I know that has them. Check out the link.

http://goodyearwrangler.com/goodyearwrangler/html/index.jsp

Edited by Got Esox? 1/7/2007 9:31 PM
cphilli
Posted 1/9/2007 1:58 PM (#231115 - in reply to #230623)

Another vote for Silent Armour. I don't even use 4x4 much anymore. Got rid of Michelin LTX. They were like teflon. Non stick.

The Goodyear Silent Armours are the best truck tire I have ever owned. Period.

I tow lots. I off-road some. Nothing I have ever owned has come close.

Check out Tire Rack reviews.

CP
bob g
Posted 1/25/2007 6:12 AM (#234224 - in reply to #228733)

I'll second the Revos, I have 20K and they look new. Living in the NE we see lots of different conditions. Wet rainy roads suck, the Revo's grip year round and even went well on Lake Champlain.

I had a set of cooper sst's on a 2wd as a snow tire, awesome traction, little noisy though.

For all Highway tho I'd recomend Firestone steeltex R704's 10Ply 60k on the 2wd suburban.

For an overall 4x4 daily/go most anywhere I would strongly suggest Revo's. Most guys here ( in New England) like BFG's, they just don't seem to wear well.
butterwheels
Posted 1/26/2007 9:27 AM (#234438 - in reply to #228733)

BFG all terrains. one of the best all-around truck tires you can buy. i had em on my dakota, and they were fantastic. they'll do a lot better in snow than mud terrains will too...the mud terrains just dig in and you get stuck. i'll be making the switch to those soon, i've got the worst goodyears evar on my ram right now, i can't stand them.

also...don't make the switch to 20's in a tundra. worse ride quality. you also may see worse handling and slightly worse gas mileage due to more unsprung weight. also i cant see a benefit in towing either, or heavy loads. plus it would look pretty silly on a tundra IMO. too small of a truck, compared to the dodge, which i think the 20's look a bit big on. thats just me though, mine has 17s. that would be a good rim size for you, 17 or 18, biggest i'd go.
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/26/2007 11:50 PM (#234540 - in reply to #228733)

One thing I did notice is that some tires that often come stock on a vehicle are not to be compared to similar models from the same manufacturer. I had a set of Bridgestone duelers on my pickup when I bought it, and they sucked. I was going to go with another set of Coopers as I had in the past, but the good fellas at Mathews tire center here told me that the Dueler that they sell is their best tire(they also sell cooper and Michelin) for the type of use I'd need it for, and not to compare them with the tires I had on the pickup when I bought it. I've been much happier with this set of tires so far.
bob g
Posted 2/11/2007 6:07 PM (#238136 - in reply to #234540)

Reef Hawg - 1/26/2007 11:50 PM

One thing I did notice is that some tires that often come stock on a vehicle are not to be compared to similar models from the same manufacturer. I had a set of Bridgestone duelers on my pickup when I bought it, and they sucked.

BIG difference between Duelers and Duelers that have the REVO tread. I had a set of Dueler AT's many moons ago and they sucked.
jonnysled
Posted 2/11/2007 6:16 PM (#238137 - in reply to #228733)

i've been running the Cooper 10-plys on my f-250 and have had very good success. the tire just by the size is very pricey no matter who's you buy and i'll make my next set coopers too. ... i drive 50 - 60k miles per year and pull a load for probably half of it .... all around value from the Coopers has been very good. i run the blackwalls out cause i don't care what "brand" others read on the side of them.
MLS
Posted 2/20/2007 7:54 PM (#240448 - in reply to #230250)

BFG's look good but if you want the same/better look and traction without the noise go with Bridgestone Dueler REVO. You wont find a better tire.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)