Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Hydrofoil Stabalizers

Reply New post
Message Subject: Hydrofoil Stabalizers
crackpot
Posted 2/8/2007 9:30 AM (#237195)
Subject: Hydrofoil Stabalizers

How many of you use hydrofoils on your boat and does it really do much for performance? I have a crestliner fishhawk 1600 with a 50 horse motor and have been thinking about getting one if they improve performance.
sputterbug
Posted 2/8/2007 10:23 AM (#237213 - in reply to #237195)
Subject: RE: Hydrofoil Stabalizers

I can't recommend it for performance since the ones I've seen or used usually reduce your speed by 2-4mph. They are good for a shortcut fix for "porpoising" if your boat has that behavior, but usually that's the result of some other problem like the outboard not in the optimal row of mounting holes, or if your prop isn't quite the right size. Hydrofoil may improve your hole shot but reduce your top end speed, again, you may get that same effect with a different prop.

Edited by sputterbug 2/8/2007 10:23 AM
cjrich
Posted 2/8/2007 2:02 PM (#237260 - in reply to #237195)

The Stingray brand (black plastic) of hydrofoil is not too expensive (around $80 for a large motor) and really made a difference on my 2 boats. 40 and 115HP's respectively. You will need to drill at least couple of extra holes (or all 4 holes) on the small cavitation plate (more like an edge) on your motor, and then fasten four nuts and bolts (make sure that you use stainless steel ... otherwise rust/corrosion) is all you need.

Both of my boats get on plane very easily. I purchased mine from West Marine, but the brand is well known and you can probably get them from Cabela's or Bass Pro online. The size of the foil is nice and large and this also helps you get as much as you can out of your motor when trolling at any speed.

The Stingray on the 115HP is running a Crestliner Fish Hawk 1750. You should notice the difference immediately. I am also convinced that the boat responds better to smaller increments of trim adjustment while cruising along (that would not be my case if not having a hydrofoil at all)

There are enough Bass guys out there fulfilling their roles as speed-merchants. I personally enjoy a more smooth ride and am willing to sacrifice a couple of miles per hour. My boat tops out on plane at around 38 to 40 MPH.

I believe "performance" can imply how a boat handles (ability to get on plane in an easier fashion and trim adjustments while underway, etc.) as well as overall speed.

Craig

Edited by cjrich 2/8/2007 2:16 PM
Marc J
Posted 2/8/2007 2:48 PM (#237273 - in reply to #237195)

We had one for years on our old boat but with tilt and trim now I just don't think you need it. It will cut down on top speed and power and I really coudn't tell the difference with our without it anyway, especially with a 50hp.
ToddM
Posted 2/8/2007 10:55 PM (#237528 - in reply to #237195)

I put this one on my brother's boat, it would take about 100ft to plane with just me, 100 yards with 3 people, now she just planes immediately. It used to be bow to the sky untill it idid but even with 4 people and it won't plane, it runs flat. One of the best investments i have made in that boat.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=1103&hvarT...

I can't help but notice the new expensive stingray model looks alot like this one.
musky39
Posted 2/9/2007 9:42 PM (#237850 - in reply to #237195)

The performance improvement on my boat was amazing for the $. It Jumps on plane faster and feels more stable at full throttle.
If I lose 1-2 mph no big deal, I'm not out there racing around like the bass guys anyway.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)