Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: " Nothings biting.... well... time try the fried chicken from last night"
- (Added by: seoul)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Weagle clear coating

Message Subject: Weagle clear coating
davidd
Posted 4/27/2006 7:26 PM (#189278)
Subject: Weagle clear coating

I have two Weagle's that need clear coats as they are the ones that apparently didn't get one...I threw one for 5 minutes and hook rashed it pretty bad... Anybody willing to do something like that? I have one of the new ones and it is definitely a different bait (way lighter).
Beaver
Posted 4/27/2006 7:40 PM (#189282 - in reply to #189278)
Subject: RE: Weagle clear coating

Send me an e-mail, or pm, and I can strip it and redo it any way you want it, but you'll get it back with "T"'d hooks and a solid clearcoat that will last.
Beav
DEMolishedyou2
Posted 4/27/2006 8:48 PM (#189293 - in reply to #189278)

If you don't want your old I Weagles I could buy the Weagles if you don't want the old ones.
RiverMan
Posted 4/29/2006 9:14 AM (#189450 - in reply to #189278)

Be careful clearing Weagles because some of them will sink....I know, I have had it happen! If you do clear them, use one coat and test for buoyancy. The other thing you could do is spray the lure with three coats of Rustoleum Lacquer, T the hooks and/or shrink tube the hooks.

jed v.
Brad
Posted 4/29/2006 9:57 AM (#189452 - in reply to #189278)

I have the Black & White Weagle painted with the epoxy paint, that the hooks scraped off after 5 casts. So, I decided to put one coat of Etex on and now I'm half way to a Wabull. I'm not complaining, it still is a great lure, just rides lower.
davidd
Posted 4/29/2006 6:00 PM (#189489 - in reply to #189278)

I sent my weagles to Beav. I have one of the new ones and it is substantially lighter...should be interesting to see how different they act all when they come back. I am having one just re-coated and one is getting a little custom job.I can't imagine paint/envirotex weighs that much more to radically change the height that it rides in the water?? Speaking of weight in topwaters, I also have an H2O Recon which seems really heavy but moves really nicely, will have to weigh them all some time.
I was just reading a post somewhere about all the different variations of the "same" Hawg Wobbler's. Really pretty interesting how baits become cult like in there actions, etc. especially once they get "improved" by the manufacturers! Look how many people scrambled for "original" Bulldawgs....
RiverMan
Posted 4/29/2006 6:46 PM (#189492 - in reply to #189278)

Whether the lure sinks or not actually has as much to do with increased weight as it does Archimedes Principle...this was one smart SOB.

"an object placed in water will displace an equal amount of water weight as its own weight. For example, a 2,000 lb boat will displace 2,000 lb of water. The displaced water will then push back on the object. So, the 2,000 lbs of water will push back on the 2,000 lb boat keeping it afloat".

So, when you add clearcoat you are adding weight yes, but you also adding to the diameter/thickness of the bait thus increasing the amount of water it displaces. So in theory since you are displacing more water the level at which the lure floats shouldn't change all that much, fact is tho that it does!! Weagles are made from maple and maple is a hard wood. They have no weight in them for this reason..if you weighted them they would sink like a rock! I have refinished about 4 weagles and two of them sat much lower after clearcoating. It could be tho that this will be something you like, they still swim fine just sit much lower. If the bait starts to want to dive on you (because it's too low), move the screw eye down, this will typically correct the problem.

good luck.

Jed V.
Bikini Bait Co.

Edited by RiverMan 4/29/2006 6:46 PM
Beaver
Posted 4/30/2006 7:17 AM (#189524 - in reply to #189278)

Dave, don't worry.
It's not that complicated.
You will get a good hard finish that actually won't be sprayed on and will last for more than 5 casts.
The actions won't change, in fact they will probably be better....ie, sit a little lower, move a little more water.
I was warned not to screw with the top coats the first year that they came out....I was gonna screw up the balance and action. Propoganda! I've never seen a piece of wood balanced so delicately that adding a layer of clearcoat screwed it up.
Have trust, oh ye of little faith
Watch what you say, or I'll make them ugly!!!!!
Beav
Steve Cady
Posted 5/1/2006 7:35 PM (#189833 - in reply to #189278)

Careful what you say...

I have a few differnt guys tell me that the lures they had people redo did not work when they got them back. The "Epoxy Painted" Weagles were done so because they were heavier density. I dealt with over 2000 of those pieces of wood and know a little bit more than the average guy about them. Propoganda or whatever it is called is actuallt the truth. If I could have clear coated those I would have but they didn't work.... They only option was putting a very small bit of weight in the back to get the nose up. That might be a option if your lures don't work the way you would like them.

Or just buy new Weagles from MOJO they are bullet proof.

Steve

Beaver
Posted 5/2/2006 6:49 AM (#189871 - in reply to #189278)

Dave, yours are getting a spray on 3-part automotive topcoat. The hooks will be "T"'d and if they don't sit tail down, I'll use a heavier guage hook to accomplish that.
No matter what I do, there will still be some paint left on them after 50 casts, unlike the ones he spent his money on.
If they were screwed up to begin with, how'd they get in the hands of the consumers in the first place?
lambeau
Posted 5/2/2006 1:45 PM (#189933 - in reply to #189833)

Careful what you say...
...Propoganda or whatever it is called is actually the truth...
...know a little bit more than the average guy about them...
...Or just buy new Weagles from MOJO they are bullet proof.

i've had some redone by Beaver, and they came back working just as great as ever.
the off-the-shelf variation from Weagle to Weagle (i've had over 15, and weighed them all) is much greater than any weight that Beaver's painting/clearcoat adds to the bait.
if some people have had experiences with a bit of clearcoat "sinking" their bait, that bait was probably on the heavy end and should have been made into a Wabull in the first place.

and why, i pause to wonder, did i have to get them repainted in the first place?
when it's from heavy use and hook scrapes, i understand it completely.
some were like that.
when it's after two casts and the coating and paint is peeling off in chunks, i don't understand so well.
a few were like that, early ones had bad coatings, late ones had no coatings.

great lure, good paintjobs (at least before appliance enamel became the quick and easy way out).

let it go, Steve. you created one of the most popular lures in recent times, one that works incredibly well.
if someone else is able to add to it by painting it up and using a better coating, let them!

if someone is looking to buy new, MOJO Weagles and Wabulls have a rock solid clear coat.

Beaver is NOT "an average guy". he's an artist, and he's very careful about his craft.
and it's not like he's painting blanks - he's painting lures that people have already bought and paid for that need to be redone. why is this a problem?

i highly recommend that anyone looking to get a lure repainted send it in to Beav.
he's a first-class guy, he'll treat you well, and your lure will come back better than new.

here's pics of a Wabull that i just got back from Beav in the mail today.
that paint job isn't terrible.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Beav 001.jpg)

(Beav 004.jpg)

(Beav 006.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Beav 001.jpg (59KB - 227 downloads)
Attachments Beav 004.jpg (84KB - 223 downloads)
Attachments Beav 006.jpg (91KB - 226 downloads)
Steve Cady
Posted 5/2/2006 2:13 PM (#189935 - in reply to #189278)

Guess I should have said it a bit different...

Beaver does an incredible job.What I was trying to say is that they are NOT easy to do. Coating them with envirotex ruins them. What Beav is doing is perfect and shouldn't affect the weight much at all.

My worry was that someone gets envirotex and trys to do it themselves or sends it to someone that uses a envirotex type coating. No malice was intended towards Beav at all. pI only wish i could have painted half of well as he does.

And as far as the why they were that way in the first place... I did what i could. Wish they would have been better. Some guys swear by the black and white ones with or without paint... I guess I don't miss it much... sorry I spoke up.
davidd
Posted 5/2/2006 3:40 PM (#189941 - in reply to #189278)

Hey guys, I didn't really want to get anybodys undies in a bundle. What can you say - the Weagle is going to go down as a first class bait, thank you Steve Cady! And I am going to have a couple that it sounds like are now in the hands of a paint master, thanks Beav! And I have even bought one of the new Mojo Weagles and even though it is lighter, I didn't say it was bad in any way - heck, I have not even gotten the bait wet yet...but I wouldn't have bought it if I thought it was not first rate.

o.k. - group hug.
BALDY
Posted 5/2/2006 4:33 PM (#189949 - in reply to #189278)

Just remember guys. Steve Cady is responsible for the rock solid clear coat that is on MOJO Weagles now. He made the changes before the transfer.

Givin' credit where it's due...
RiverMan
Posted 5/2/2006 6:23 PM (#189964 - in reply to #189278)

There is a big difference between three coats of a spray on lacquer and a coat of Etex. When we were talkinig about clearcoating I assumed we were talking about a thick coat of clear...looks like Steve did too. I would agree with Beav that a few coats of spray on lacquer will change little if at all the posture of the bait in the end. I generally use this same coating for my bass lures and various other salmon/steelhead plugs that I refinish, great stuff!

Jed V.
The Yeti
Posted 5/2/2006 11:28 PM (#190006 - in reply to #189278)

just don't use auto spray paint and min wax poly urethane.
unless of course, you want the Yeti special....a gooey coating of peeling poop.
Beaver
Posted 5/3/2006 5:01 AM (#190016 - in reply to #189278)

I've used Envirotex too.
I just pour it over the lure, and when it's done dripping, I take a disposable paint brush and gently wipe the sides the get rid of the thickness.
I'm not using lacquer. It's a 3 part urethane that they use for a finish coat on cars. It takes a couple of caots at least, but one nice thing is that if it gets scuffed or scratched, you can go over the bad area and wet sand it and then recoat it and it comes out looking like new.
Here's an Envirotexed Weagle that runs great.

Edited by Beaver 5/3/2006 5:26 AM

(Redone Weagle.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Redone Weagle.JPG (15KB - 214 downloads)
muskyky
Posted 2/3/2007 6:53 AM (#236051 - in reply to #189278)

now that look like a 25$ lure
rjbass
Posted 2/3/2007 8:36 AM (#236068 - in reply to #189278)

Beaver,

How do you "T" your hooks?

Rod
Posted 2/3/2007 12:35 PM (#236117 - in reply to #189278)

Actually 2 or 3 part auto clear is much better than Etex. It has alot of UV inhibiter in it for one thing which etex has very little of, even the new stuff. Sure etex will last along time because musky lures don't see a lot of sunlight but auto clear is made to take the sun beating down on it day after day. If you spray 4 or 5 heavy coats of auto clear on a bait it's much tougher than etex but most people only spray on 1 or 2 coats of it on for a very thin coating.
muskynightmare
Posted 2/3/2007 1:40 PM (#236123 - in reply to #189278)

DO NOT USE LAQUER. If anything rubber, soft plastis, etc. touches laquer, you are gonna have a sticky mess on your hands. Spray can acrilyc is better for that job.
Musky Snax
Posted 2/3/2007 6:12 PM (#236162 - in reply to #189278)

Interesting thread guys. I have just repainted a couple of Weagles for a customer and used Epoxy to clear coat them. Hope the actions remain the same.

Steve Cady, please PM me regarding our lure "swap" dude.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)