Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Alternater Chargers

Reply New post
Message Subject: Alternater Chargers
tuffy1
Posted 1/10/2007 12:10 PM (#231324)
Subject: Alternater Chargers

So I was looking at a Minkota battery charger the other day, and it looks like it's one that uses the alternater to charge the deep cycle batteries. Has anyone used these? If so what is good or bad about them. I would think that they would be more widely used if they basically keep you battery charged up pretty much all day. Any help would be appreciated.
kjgmh
Posted 1/10/2007 12:22 PM (#231329 - in reply to #231324)
Subject: RE: Alternater Chargers

Once the starting battery is fully charged they will start to charge the trolling motor batteries. They work fine as long as your outboard has a big enough charging system.(40 amps or more)
tuffy1
Posted 1/11/2007 11:40 AM (#231650 - in reply to #231329)

Thanks for the info. I have a 115 yami 4 banger, so I have no idea what amps we are talking.
Do you think they are a good decision to go with, or should I just stick with my on board charger?
kjgmh
Posted 1/11/2007 12:41 PM (#231676 - in reply to #231650)

That motor has a 25amp charging system on it. If you running above 1500rpm or so it will help charge your trolling motor batteries, any slower then that and it does not produce enough amperage. So if you make long runs over 1500rpm I would say go for it. If you are mainly trolling with the 115 and only short runs I do not think it would help. May also want to check out the "All Charge" it can be wired so that it works like the minnkota, but also can wire to the truck to charge the trolling batteries when you are driving down the road.
bn
Posted 1/11/2007 1:57 PM (#231694 - in reply to #231324)

Joel, for the style of fishing you do and lakes you fish I would think you would be better off with just a regular on board charger...those chargers where they charge your batteries off the motor to me are more suited for a mille lacs, vermillion, big water, lots of running type situation where you are running hard and fast from spot to spot where you would and could get a decent amount of charge from the motor...for WI and the lakes you fish if you have good batteries I don't see how you could run them down in one day.....
Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/11/2007 2:04 PM (#231697 - in reply to #231694)

Joel, on board is the way to go for you. That way when you go to the bar for lunch you can charge the batterys while your eating or any other reason your boat would be idle. All you need is power and an extention cord.
MNmatt
Posted 1/11/2007 2:13 PM (#231698 - in reply to #231324)

Jim Wentworth used to rig a lot of boats with a "loop-charging" system where the outboard charges the deep cycles. It could only be done with a 12V deep cycle system, 24V or 36V you were SOL. I believe this is still the case, but could be wrong.

I used to have the loop charging system that wentworth put in for me. BEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN. When they can do this with 24V or 36V so we can use the bigger trolling motors, I will be first in line to get it. When all the motors used to be 12V more guys had these. Battery life was incredible, waaaaaay way way longer than even with an onboard plug-in style charger. Best thing was, my trolling motor was always fully charged and ready to go. Just take a quick loop around a small bay and it was charged right back up. It was amazing. If you have a 12V trolling motor I would highly recommend the loop-charging system. If it's 24V or 36V, the only way you can really go is the on-board charger.

sworrall
Posted 1/11/2007 2:45 PM (#231708 - in reply to #231698)

If one has a Marinco system for the 12/24/36, a loop charger will work because it's are hooked up to the individual batteries and the 24/36 volt is achieved at the plug. One should unplug the trolling motor before firing it up. Not necessary but a good piece of insurance against any problems.
Marc J
Posted 1/11/2007 2:49 PM (#231709 - in reply to #231324)

BPS has a little device in their new Master Catalog that will split your alternator charge between your starter battery and your trolling battery - I haven't ordered one yet and the catalog doesn't give many specifics but I'm going to try one as it looks like it is simple to install and will probably work better for smaller amp alternators motors.
tuffy1
Posted 1/11/2007 6:57 PM (#231767 - in reply to #231324)

Mike and Brad, I haven't had any problems running them down yet, but was just wondering. I tend to have a problem in the fall with all the wind. I suppose if I up my trolling motor, I wouldn't have the same problems.

With that being said, does a 24 volt system hold a charge longer than the 12. I would imagine with the 24 volts, the answer would be yes. But I also assume that they eat more juice as well. I'm sick of having to battle the wind and loose fast. Although, I'm pretty freaking good at slipping now.
bn
Posted 1/11/2007 7:01 PM (#231771 - in reply to #231324)

having a 24 volt trolling motor with 2 good deep cycle or AGM style batteries is the cats *ss....some even have 36 volts (3 batt.) but alot of boats don't have room for 3 batteries...I have run my boat in some pretty good wind, for 12 hours and still have 50% left at the end of the day...I use 31 size AGM's and a good Pro Mariner 3 bank charger...
Joel, if you are looking at chargers check out Pro Mariners..they are a bit more but they have a lifetime replacement guarantee that I don't think anyone else in the industry can touch...you can get away with a smaller sized charger with the system they use...I have the 3 bank Pro 150 something or other...great charger...
tuffy1
Posted 1/11/2007 7:21 PM (#231779 - in reply to #231324)

Thanks Brad. What do the AGM batteries run ya?
I'll take a look at those chargers. I have a Minkota charger on board at this time. Might need to change a few things. Now how do I get more money without the wife knowing. lol
bn
Posted 1/11/2007 7:33 PM (#231782 - in reply to #231324)

AGM's are going up and up..I was lucky and got mine last spring for like 130 each...I know they went up quite a bit since then..take a look at all kinds of battery places as most places now carry AGM, basically those you just never have to do maintenance on and hold a charge all winter and can be run to zero and back up again....get the biggest size whether it's 27 or 31 that your boat can hold....
Minn Kota makes a good on board charger..we have one on the cabin asstracker and it has been solid for 6 years now and running!
Shep
Posted 1/12/2007 8:47 AM (#231849 - in reply to #231782)

Joel,

you got a 12V TM? I didn't know that. If you are running off of just one battery, you can nearly triple your battery reserve by adding anther battery, and connecting in parallel. And your MK charger will charge them both, just fine. Alot cheaper buying another battery, than buyin a new TM, battery, and a new charger.
tuffy1
Posted 1/12/2007 11:46 AM (#231876 - in reply to #231849)

Yep, I got suckered into a 12 volt. Me being stupid. I think I'll go that route Shep. I'll pick up a couple of new batteries this year and go from there. Power wise, even on windy days, it's good, it just runs down too fast for me. Then I have to work on alternate boat control techniques. (including, but not limited to swearing repeatedly about how the stupid thing sucks. lol)

I'll have to consult you when I hook them up Shep. I know there's posts out here, but just want to make sure I don't jack something up.
Shep
Posted 1/12/2007 3:17 PM (#231902 - in reply to #231876)

Cussing always helps!
Esox1850
Posted 1/31/2007 10:14 AM (#235275 - in reply to #231324)

I just got off the phone with Dual Pro and they make a 36volt charger (Pro Extra 3) that runs off the alternator. As long as you're in that 1000-1500 rpm range and the starting battery is above a certain level, the charger will work on the trolling motor batteries. Been fishing quite a few big waters where you may have a longer run so I'd definitely get use out of the alternator charger...

I am trying to figure out the best option for my new rig. I'm installing the Terrova 36V system on it, plus have the starting battery, which is a 48V system altogether. Boat already has a 3 bank Ranger charger on it. I want to install one of the alternator chargers to help with the trolling battery system and maybe leave the current 3 bank onboard specifically for the trolling motor batteries which leaves me with nothing to charge the starting battery except the alternator. I'm wondering if I'll run into many problems not having a charger specifically for the starting battery? I guess it just depends on how much I use it, electronics wise...

Option A: Keep the 3 bank already on the rig and specify that charger for the trolling motor batteries, add a 1 bank charger for the starting battery, and then add the alternator charger for the trolling motor batteries.

Option B: Remove the 3 bank already on the rig, purchase a 48V on board charger for all 4 batteries, and also purchase the alternator charger.

Option C: Leave the 3 bank already on the rig for the trolling motor batteries, add the alternator charger for the trolling motor batteries and rely on the alternator to keep the starting battery charged.

I'm looking at Option B. It is the most expensive rout to go but would be the best set up in my opinion. Anyone want to buy a 3 bank Ranger On Board Charger???? haha!

Mark H.
Posted 1/31/2007 12:51 PM (#235320 - in reply to #231324)

Just a thought on the alternator/loop chargers.

I've been told that the newer computer controlled direct inject motors, Optimax is the one I was told about, are dependant on recieving the proper amount of volts to operate properly. I was told by a Merc. technician that they need at least 13.2 or 13.4 can't remember which, or they can start to run rough, improperly, etc. Which based on the way I saw a guys 225 behave when his starting battery went bad and he was down to 12 volts or less, I suspect this information to be correct.

That being said, I'm wondering if a stock alternator has enough output to charge partially drained trolling batteries and allow enough to get to the motor to operate properly? Maybe these systems compensate for that?

Typically on your volt meter you should read 14.2 - 14.4 if your regulators and alternators are operationg properly. Take some of that away to keep more than the starting battery charged and then what?

I don't have the answers but these thoughts crossed my mind when reading this post.

Also, remember that not all motors are running alternators, some are running stators under the flywheel, similar but not a true alternator. I understand the 4 strokes have pretty decent size alternators but most 2 strokes including the direct-inject units are running just enough to keep the motor running decent and to keep the starting battery reasonably charged.

Might be why some of the guys with lots of electronics (the new color units pull a lot more amperage) are using a separate battery just for those?

Just some things to consider and ask about before making a purchase. Sounds like a neat unit if they work as well as advertised. Suspect for the guys that run long distances or troll a lot they might be a neat thing to have.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)