Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's something they haven't seen before." -Hulbert trying to be nice about my lure selection.
- (Added by: kevin cochran)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Night fishermen...opinions needed

Message Subject: Night fishermen...opinions needed
Beaver
Posted 1/9/2007 6:25 PM (#231167)
Subject: Night fishermen...opinions needed

I'm making a few 10" gliders. I did a couple with prism tape, a couple that were Pearl Crushed Ice.
Then I found a package of 3 sheets of Glow in The Dark Pearl Ice. It's an awesome daytime color, but when I turned
off the lights I almost crapped. I made everything glow tape except for the head...it has big glowing eyes too....the top and bottom, those I painted black.
So, is this something that you night timers would be interested in?
Is glow a good option for night time muskies like it is for walleyes?
This glider moves about 3 feet on the glide, then just hangs there until you give it another yank.
I thought that the combination of flourescent glow, big profile and a slow, easy to eat presentation would be a killer, but I rarely fish at night.
Opinions please. I want to know if I should bother making 10 of them.
Any other night time glider tips would be appreciated. Let me know what your preferences are if you fish gliders at night. This lure will move a whole lot of water, and would probably produce anyway, but do I need the lure to glow or just a strip on top so it's easy for you to see.
Thanks,
Beav
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2007 8:51 AM (#231264 - in reply to #231167)
Subject: RE: Night fishermen...opinions needed

Beav,
I used to fish after dark quite a bit, and found the glow stuff to be productive under certain conditions. Full moon was actually better than dark, for some reason. Build 'em, I'll buy one!
longhunter
Posted 1/10/2007 9:12 AM (#231273 - in reply to #231167)

I fish at night alot, like many black is a usual, I use glow tape on the top of lures to see it coming in. Have not really had any luck at night with glow bait except during a full moon were lighter colors have done as well.
Where I have had luck with glow is in darker water, I was in one of the metro lakes in the summer nothing was working, put on a custom glow bait and started to have some luck. So if you make 10 I sure would like one too.
jonnysled
Posted 1/10/2007 9:36 AM (#231276 - in reply to #231167)

i fish at night probably 70% ... it's my preference and i've found that triggering with noise and vibration is most productive with either the obvious choice of topwater or even better with a big bucktail, so don't throw gliders much at night ... i consider them a bit more visual and best for colder water daytime presentation when and easy target triggered by the pause is predominant. use some of the glow blades and they look cool to me, but haven't seen them outscore other blades at night.
DragginHook
Posted 1/10/2007 8:12 PM (#231498 - in reply to #231167)

Beav (Jim);

I have a company that supplies me with 7/8" diameter "Light Gathering Decals" that I apply after paint prior to clearcoat. I apply them on top of every bait. They work incredible, and just a sliver of a crescent moon makes them stand out VERY WELL. My rod tips REALLY appreciate this and the person throwing them KNOWS where their bait is in the water during the retrieve prior to the 8 (don't underestimate the 8 after dark, but be sure to have some T.P. in the boat). I've also cut them into various profiles (fins/scale patterns, etc...) to accent the sides. There are various types of this material available from most "custom" lettering/decal shops.
ghoti
Posted 1/10/2007 9:09 PM (#231514 - in reply to #231167)

Tried glow blades on bucks and glow paint on surface lures for a few seasons with 0 success. Looked good to me but??? I do use a glow stripe on top of all my top waters and gliders for my benefit. One odd thing I found, the glow blades on the inline and safety pin spinners had good success in clear water/day light conditions.
Beaver
Posted 1/10/2007 9:35 PM (#231521 - in reply to #231167)

Thanks guys. I think that I definitely will be adding a stripe to the top of the lures.
I did the whole side, because even in the daylight, it has an incredible pearl-like appearance.
I like gliders at night. I got stuck in a top water rut, and threw some big bucktails that I made. But the size of the lures that I'm going to put the stripes on are not my regular Perkas, they are 10"x1" and move a heck of a lot of water every time they turn from side to side.
More comments are welcome, but right now, I think that I might add a stripe to every color pattern and size lure that I use and reserve them for guys who want them for night fishing.
Thanks,
Beav
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)