Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Fig Rig verse St Croix Avid Rods

Message Subject: Fig Rig verse St Croix Avid Rods
MoMuskieguy
Posted 1/5/2007 10:38 AM (#230140)
Subject: Fig Rig verse St Croix Avid Rods

Have any of you (NON SPONSORED PLEASE) guys out there compared these 2 brands and which did you prefer and why? I am struggling on what to more to this year. I am retiring the old and buying new and wanted to try something on the lighter side. Please post the good and bad you have experienced with these. thanks
Charles G W
Posted 1/5/2007 10:57 AM (#230145 - in reply to #230140)
Subject: RE: Fig Rig verse St Croix Avid Rods

I've owned both and for the money, I'd go with Fig Rig- I found the handles on the Avids to be too short for my liking. The warranty/service is excellent for both. I've broken rods due to my own stupidity, unknown causes and obvious blank defects and have always gotten a rod in the mail within a week of contacting them. Kevin did have a problem with defects in some of his blanks and I experienced that, but he replaced it even without exchange asap and the new one is sweet! I have also had a defective St. Croix rod that they replaced just as quickly, but I did have to send in the broken one. Basically, the difference in my opinion is that you can get just what you want from Fig, almost a custom rod to the extent that if you want different handle, etc he can accomodate so you're not buying just stock, and I like the handles, guides, and weight of the figs.
Just my 2 cents.
CGW
sworrall
Posted 1/5/2007 11:01 AM (#230147 - in reply to #230140)

I ran 3 of the Fig Rig Tooth Tamers last year, and really liked them. Light, no problems, and 'fit' me well. Kevin Figgins is a great guy, and stands behind his products, too. That said, St Croix builds a good stick, obviously. Both back their product well. I'd go to a shop, hold them both rigged with the reel you want to use, and decide for yourself.

On a side note, MuskieFIRST allows product comparisons, but NOT any product bashing. I don't like posts asking folks to post 'the good and the bad' because it encourages all sorts of anonymous bashing of all the brands in comparison and is a VERY bad way to sell someone on one's preferred product's virtues. Post what you like about each product and why.
esoxman50
Posted 1/5/2007 6:55 PM (#230278 - in reply to #230140)

That's a good point about putting the reel you want to use on the rod when making a selection, an ounce or two in reel weight and the width of the reel make a difference in the feel of a rod.

Joe Wishin
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)