Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Auto Pilot worth ??

Reply New post
Message Subject: Auto Pilot worth ??
djwilliams
Posted 12/27/2006 5:49 PM (#228070)
Subject: Auto Pilot worth ??

Auto pilot with universal sonar 12 volt, 54 inch shaft with 65 pounds thrust. couple of years old. Friend has it. It's a trolling motor upgrade for me. What do you think it is worth????

Thanks,
don
muskihntr
Posted 12/27/2006 6:32 PM (#228074 - in reply to #228070)
Subject: RE: Auto Pilot worth ??

dont know its worth but just so you know i beleive 55 pounds is the most thrust availible in a 12 volt system, in case it makes a differance for ya! run it on ebay and see if you come up with any prices on there. that may help.
djwilliams
Posted 12/27/2006 8:20 PM (#228092 - in reply to #228070)

Yep you are right- hit wrong #- it is 55lb. thrust.
lightning
Posted 12/28/2006 7:45 AM (#228132 - in reply to #228070)

I have the 70 lb autopilot and I love it. Really helps in the wind. It is also great if you are alone and you have to run around to fight and land the fish.
Schuler
Posted 12/28/2006 11:49 AM (#228199 - in reply to #228070)

Just remember...theres a good chance it won't be long before you have to add another $80 for a circuit board.
ChinWhiskers
Posted 12/28/2006 12:22 PM (#228209 - in reply to #228070)

I'v had both the 12v @24 Volt and once you have the 24 Auto you get spoiled real fast. The 24 volt is worth the money. take care -- Marv.
Shep
Posted 12/29/2006 8:08 AM (#228405 - in reply to #228209)

Schuler, maybe not. Exactly how many AP's have you owned, and how many had a problem? I had my last one for 5 years, and never spent a dime on it. I did have it calibrated the first year, and it was flawless after that. I'll have one on the new Tuffy, and don't expect I'll have any problems with that one.

I'm tired of hearing people bash products because something may have happened to one. Name me any product that never, ever had a problem. With the number of AP's sold, I bet the issues are a small percentage.
Posted 12/29/2006 11:20 AM (#228475 - in reply to #228070)

I just have to chime in quick after Shep's comments. I agree him and that you have to consider that most people are more often willing to complain about a product than praise one (well unless the topic was brought up already, but you get the point). Plus there is a lot of people who will repeat things that don't know what they are talking about. I consider my sources and learn to know who is genuine and who is just a repeater. I like reading some of these forums just to get an idea of what possible flaws a product may have. Most of the time things fall under preferences, not really flaws. Shep is right about the HUGE number of AP sold and there are a large amount of repeat buyers out there. They just wouldn't sell if they needed repairing after a year or two but what you do know is what the worst case scenerio is with them.

Consider what you are willing to spend, know what problems may have occurred with it and weigh your options. Is there better out there, you bet, but pick something that will meet your needs.

Good luck
Magnummusky
Posted 12/29/2006 2:21 PM (#228506 - in reply to #228070)

I have had 4 different Auto-Pilots in about eight years that is like 5 differnt boats mind-you and i will be getting an new one for my current boat shortly. The only problems I have had with them is foot pads which can be easily replaced if need be. And sometimes on a low battery they can go bezerk but other than that I could not live without them I also had to have my second to last one recalibrated for free shortly after buying it. This is a bit off track to the original post my suggestion on the price for that trolling motor is 2-3 years old or less half price would be worth it as long as it is good shape.
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/1/2007 12:38 AM (#229221 - in reply to #228070)

I am on my third auto pilot, and my 5th power drive. I have only had one cicuit board replaced, and that was under warranty. I did have all of them recalibrated a couple times each but I use it on the river and bang it on the rocks constantly(not good for compass calibrations according to my repair man, Chuck Brod). That said, I have gone through over a dozen foot pedals, and typically use about 2 per season. That, is something that Minn Kota can improve on, and I have heard they will/already have with upcoming models. I will not own anything but a unit with autopilot, even if I use it rarely(popping it on when a fish is i the bag in heavy winds or current is simply priceless). If you keep the pedal clean(unlike me) and don't pound on it like a high hat drum pedal(like I do most days of the week), you'll get years of life out of your AP and foot pedal. You will thank yourself for buying one, if you haven't gotten used to a cable drive already.
Schuler
Posted 1/2/2007 9:32 PM (#229619 - in reply to #228405)

Shep - 12/29/2006 8:08 AM

Schuler, maybe not. Exactly how many AP's have you owned, and how many had a problem? I had my last one for 5 years, and never spent a dime on it. I did have it calibrated the first year, and it was flawless after that. I'll have one on the new Tuffy, and don't expect I'll have any problems with that one.

I'm tired of hearing people bash products because something may have happened to one. Name me any product that never, ever had a problem. With the number of AP's sold, I bet the issues are a small percentage.

I replaced one circuit board and have another going bad. When they work, they're awesome w/ the small pedal and infinite speed adjustment.
sworrall
Posted 1/2/2007 9:46 PM (#229624 - in reply to #229619)

Hey Schuler,

When you charge your batteries, do you unplug the motor?

I ran several Auto Pilots, never had a problem, INCLUDING foot pedals. The only one I ever had go bad was hit by lightning in the parking lot in Grand Rapids, MN.

Foot pads need to be tapped clean regularly if you have lots of sand or dust exposure. I used compressed air to clean mine about once a month. They shouldn't be stored in the elements. And, the entire unit should be unplugged before charging batteries or during long idle periods.
GOTONE
Posted 1/3/2007 12:15 PM (#229724 - in reply to #228070)

While talking to a Minn Kota repair person. He showed me the inner workings of the circuit board on the foot pedals (I replaced 2 this year). He said the number 1 reason that people are going through their foot pedals is that they are using the bottom "power" pad and the "right" or "left" toogle at the same time. Hard to explain it in writing... but it would be basically leaving your heel on the power and adjusting the front of your foot either left or right on the pedal both at the same time. This causes the circuits to blow as both circuits are being activated at the same time.

Gotone
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/3/2007 4:21 PM (#229788 - in reply to #228070)

gotone. Would that mean I cannot turn the motor with constant power on either? Same circuitry there isn't it?? That should be something they can remedy. My pedals have all failed from simple abuse, poor care, and overuse(they don't last forever no matter what), as the thin plastic coating over the micro switches gets wore from dust and grit over time. Cleaning them, as I don't, is the thing to do. I have been dunking it in clean water whenever I get the chance now and though not as good as 'dry' cleaning, it has prolonged the use.

Edited by Reef Hawg 1/3/2007 4:22 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)