Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> ? about GPS and Electronics

Reply New post
Message Subject: ? about GPS and Electronics
ManitouDan
Posted 11/27/2006 5:54 PM (#222458)
Subject: ? about GPS and Electronics

I fished with a guy in sept that had a gps built in to his fish/depth finder. The detail was really cool --at least to a guy who has never even seen a GPS before. It showed his boat and the path it needed to travel to go over a hump. My questions -- How much does unit like this cost ? --I need reliability within a few feet - For my application I could get by with a hand held unit I guess , does it show a "boat" on the screen like a depth finder ? I need one to map open water humps and reefs in Canada . How much can I get by for , any suggestions ? MD
Schuler
Posted 11/27/2006 6:02 PM (#222459 - in reply to #222458)
Subject: RE: ? about GPS and Electronics

If you want to use navionics chips (lake maps) the lowest priced unit that I know of is the handheld lowrance h2o which is $170. It comes w/ a 12 volt adapter and takes the chips. But the chips are expensive ($200 for the HD version)
reelman
Posted 11/27/2006 6:38 PM (#222462 - in reply to #222458)

You can et by with a handheld but you will very quickly want to upgrade to a full sized unit as the screens on the hand helds are arather small. I would recomend one of the Lowrance units such as the 332 which has both the GPS and a graph on it. These units are being replaced with a new model next year (very little difference) and can be found for a steal of around $500 IIRC.
ManitouDan
Posted 11/27/2006 9:31 PM (#222494 - in reply to #222458)

The lake I fish (manitou) has not been "mapped" I don't think . How do I find this out ? I guess it does'nt need to be mapped out for GPS to work does it ? What differnce does it make if a lake has a known map with islands hazards etc VS a lake that does not. HELP MD

Edited by ManitouDan 11/28/2006 1:00 PM
ManitouDan
Posted 11/29/2006 5:18 PM (#222739 - in reply to #222458)

bump help help bump
ESfishOX
Posted 11/29/2006 6:34 PM (#222754 - in reply to #222458)

ManitouDan - 11/27/2006 5:54 PM
I need reliability within a few feet

I'm quoting Lowrance as it is the only product I have used.
http://www.lowrance.com/Support/FAQ/gps_faq.asp#gpsaccuracy
With the elimination of Selective Availability, GPS accuracy is typically within 10 to 20 meters, and with the help of WAAS, accuracy can be well below 10 meters.

http://www.navionics.com/PremiumLakeList_06.asp?RegionID=5
lists Manitou in Quebec.

My Lowrance LMS480M GPS/sonar shows a triangle for boat location and direction as well as the trail. You have to be careful on the zoom scales and GPS accuracy. As for detail that a map might not show etc, I use MapCreate to add/remove GPS points, trails, routes, and more. It's pretty nice to mark the launch and lodge locations too.

HTH, Mike
jim casteel
Posted 11/29/2006 7:14 PM (#222760 - in reply to #222458)

i have the lowrance 332c and love it. i also have the triangle to mark where i am on the map. the map will show you the breaklines,known humps and creeks as well as outher things and the gps will help you get close to where you want to be. mine seems to get me within 20' of where i want to be on my map.
where i fish the lakes are connected by narrow channels and when i'm going threw the channel my gps says i'm traveling on land..
ManitouDan
Posted 11/29/2006 8:59 PM (#222785 - in reply to #222458)

So does fishing a lake that has been mapped VS one that has not been offer any advantages for using GPS ? Sorry to be such a dummy but I don't understand all a unit can do for a fisherman. MD
ESfishOX
Posted 11/29/2006 9:13 PM (#222788 - in reply to #222458)

What the GPS/locator has to start with is basic land/lake info and no depth contours. The Navionics chip gives you land/contour detail by plugging it into the SD card slot(s). The MapCreate software comes with hotel, restaurant info, etc that can also be uploaded. Lowrance's web site is good for downloading model manuals and product simulators to get the feel of things before buying.
brandonschorle
Posted 11/29/2006 9:22 PM (#222789 - in reply to #222458)

the navionics chips are on cabelas have a 50$ mail in rebate
Shep
Posted 11/30/2006 8:26 AM (#222847 - in reply to #222789)

Dan,

You can make your own contour maps for your lake. Doc Sampson has been doing this for years, and with the help of Warren Parson's , even create contour maps that he overlays on aerial photos. He uses Fugawi and 3DField. You can purchase through him.

Doc holds several training classes throughout the Midwest. I consider myself pretty good with my Lowarance Sonar and GPS, but I learned a lot at Doc's class last year. Here's a link to his website. http://www.hightechfishing.com/home.html
Cowboyhannah
Posted 12/16/2006 2:10 AM (#225976 - in reply to #222458)

go on ebay on watch the garmin 172s you can pick one up for under 200. they are a standard 4x6 screen and take a chip.
Waltie
Posted 12/25/2006 10:07 PM (#227714 - in reply to #222458)

Manitou Dan,

Nice to find someone who fishes the Manitou.

I have fished Lower Manitou with my friend who has an island in South Bay about five times. I looked all over the internet and found that Lowrance maps in this area are very poor. I've been using a Garmin 60c with Topo Canada map for the last four trips. It is incredibly accurate as far as the shorelines go, but has no contour lines in the lake itself. It also shows the names of most of the lakes we portage to along with bays and some island names.

I've been from the landing to Kamini to Aronson with no problems. If you need some Waypoints, let me know. I've marked many of the hazards.

Waltie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)