Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> RAM mount with GPS adapter plate

Message Subject: RAM mount with GPS adapter plate
Cfollow
Posted 12/9/2006 2:28 PM (#224639)
Subject: RAM mount with GPS adapter plate

Is the Ram mount with the GPS adapter plate a good way to go or should the GPS reciever be mounted on the boat?
Marc J
Posted 12/9/2006 2:46 PM (#224641 - in reply to #224639)
Subject: RE: RAM mount with GPS adapter plate

I love my hand held unit since I can move it around the boat with me. Since I fish from different spots in my boat I'd use a RAM. At least it will give you a little flexibility so your GPS isn't stuck in one spot. Next year, i'll be installing extra RAM mounts in different spots.

RAM will also give you a little extra height on the GPS unit which may help reception.

Edited by Marc J 12/9/2006 2:47 PM
reelman
Posted 12/9/2006 3:37 PM (#224647 - in reply to #224639)

Are you talking about mounting a GPS puck on the RAM mount like they show in the Cabelas catalog? If so let us know and I'll tell you why I don't like that mount.
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 12/9/2006 3:54 PM (#224649 - in reply to #224639)

ram mount on a hand held is the way to go. i dont have hundreds of dollars to spend on gps,so i have a mount on the boat and in my truck to use it both ways. just my thoughts......
Cfollow
Posted 12/9/2006 4:05 PM (#224650 - in reply to #224639)

That is the one reelman. What is the scoop?
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/9/2006 7:32 PM (#224679 - in reply to #224639)

The one thing I found out about that mount with the puck mount connected to the GPS mount was that if you take your GPS on and off like I do at the end of the day so it doesnt get beat up or stolen out of the boat that having the puck on there you need to be careful when handling that puck. The puck is very fragile and if it isn't handled with care, then you can damage the puck internally and that will lead to problems with it. That for me was one of the main issues I had with it seeing that I do take my gps on and off the console everytime.

Edited by Merckid 12/9/2006 7:34 PM
reelman
Posted 12/10/2006 12:15 AM (#224726 - in reply to #224639)

Cfollow, the mount we are talking about mounts the puck right behind the graph on the same mount. There are 2 problems with this mount as I see it. 1. most of the time you will have your unit tipped back and the puck will have to be reading throught the unit which is nota good thing. If you are running a boat with a counsole this wil also put your puck behind the windshield, again not a good thing. 2. It mounts the puck to close to the unit. You should keep the puck at least 12" from the unit so there is no interference. I have a 332 mounted on the dash of my truck and the accuracy goes way down when I put the puck right next to the unit. The unit also takes longer to find satelites and losses signel a lot more when the puck is close to the unit.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.
Cfollow
Posted 12/10/2006 7:52 AM (#224741 - in reply to #224639)

Thanks for the information guys very helpful as always!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)