Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Any "safe" heaters to have in the boat?

Message Subject: Any "safe" heaters to have in the boat?
MACK
Posted 12/4/2006 12:28 PM (#223597)
Subject: Any "safe" heaters to have in the boat?

Or should heaters in a boat just be a common sense thing to not even have in the boat?

Does anyone have any suggestions to a nice sized heater to use in a boat for this time of year?

Something relatively "safe"* as far as keeping it from tipping over or causing any fires within the boat?

Looking for something to help keep fingers/hands warm and to help thaw anything that might freeze up.

Note the *....I use the word "safe" lightly as anything like this in the boat, I know, really opens up opportunity for bigger problems and safety issues.

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone knows of anything useful, reliable and somewhat relatively safe.

Other than the traditional glove/boot warmers....
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/4/2006 12:29 PM (#223599 - in reply to #223597)
Subject: RE: Any "safe" heaters to have in the boat?

We fished the last day of season with a Mr. Heater on a 20lb. tank in the boat. We put it inside a milk crate for stability. Now, we also kept it towards the front of the rig, as far away from flamables as possible. Safe? Not sure, but did help us thaw fingers after periods of no gloves!

Edited by Reef Hawg 12/4/2006 12:32 PM
MACK
Posted 12/4/2006 12:35 PM (#223600 - in reply to #223599)

Reef Hawg - 12/4/2006 12:29 PM

Mr. Heater on a 20lb. tank in the boat.

We put it inside a milk crate for stability.

Mr. Heater and 20 lb tank. Where can the Mr. Heaters be purchased? Lowes? Or something of that nature?

I'm assuming when you say 20lb tank you're meaning propane, correct? Versus using kerosene as fuel?

Milk crate for stability is a good idea.

Edited by MACK 12/4/2006 12:35 PM
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/4/2006 12:55 PM (#223607 - in reply to #223597)

Yup, propane. Mr. Heater makes several heaters. They now make one called the Mr. Buddy as well, and is safe indoors, though it blows out easily in wind and is not the best for fishing. The regular Mr. Heater will also blow out in direct strong wind, but I have heard of some people making a shield for it. I use it for ice fishing mostly and it works awesome, but also for the really cold fall days, when gloves don't cut it and I need a shot of heat to keep me rolling. They can be found at Gander Mt., Fleet Farm, Cabelas, and several hardware outlets and RV supliers. There are off brands that are just as nice, and I beleive Paulin is one of them.

I found this site, and there are more I am sure.

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Heaters-Mr_Heater...

Edited by Reef Hawg 12/4/2006 12:57 PM
Shep
Posted 12/4/2006 12:55 PM (#223608 - in reply to #223600)

Lots of my wimpy friends use Mr Heaters in the cold fall! hehehe Actually, I will probably start using mine next year. Only use it for icefishing, now.

The way Reef Hawg does it is best. Put the 20 lb tank in a plastic milk crate, and bungee it in. This will prevent it from tipping. You can get the Mr Heaters from Fleet Farm for sure. I think Gander and Cabelas sell them too. As with most things, a little common sense goes a long way towards the safety end of things. Keep it pointed in a safe direction, don't have it running around any flammables, keep an eye on any loos clothing, and amterials around the burner.

Edited by Shep 12/4/2006 12:58 PM
MACK
Posted 12/4/2006 1:29 PM (#223622 - in reply to #223597)

Awesome. Thanks guys....
sworrall
Posted 12/4/2006 1:57 PM (#223635 - in reply to #223622)

Coleman catalytic heaters are what I use for hunting and ice fishing. Less propensity to burn something, but great heat source. The draw back is the use of one pound bottles, which I refill. Can't transport on public transportation or give to anyone else, but it works great and is cheap.
MACK
Posted 12/4/2006 2:36 PM (#223647 - in reply to #223597)

Yeah...I can see the one lb canisters being a pain with the short life span of those. Instead of carrying 20, loose, one lb canisters...I think I'll look into the Mr. Heater set up with the 20 lb tank...
esoxman50
Posted 12/4/2006 2:48 PM (#223649 - in reply to #223597)

I've used a metal five gallon bucket with a Coleman lantern it it for years, it's as safe as most things in a boat, it funnels the heat straight up for warming the hands and a piece of hardware cloth on top is nice for drying gloves or warming food and drinks, there is enough room around the lantern that the bucket stays on the cool side.

Joe Wishin
MACK
Posted 12/4/2006 3:19 PM (#223655 - in reply to #223597)

That's a good idea there as well....
mseybert
Posted 12/4/2006 3:23 PM (#223658 - in reply to #223597)

You can buy an adapter to put the coleman catalytic heater on a 20# tank. It is threaded on for the tank on one end and the heater on the other .It is about 4 or 5 inches long and works like a charm. I put that set up in a milk crate and you are good to go. You can buy that at any propane shop or I think I have seen it at cabelas.
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/5/2006 10:29 PM (#223965 - in reply to #223597)

You can also get an 11 lb. tank which is the same bottom diameter as the 20. A bit smaller and easier to manage, and still lasts a long time. 5 lbers are also available, but more tippy. Do the catalytic heaters take wind pretty well?? I remember using a green coleman as a kid, liked it for the reasons mentioned, but remember the pilot/element blowing out with the slightest whisp of wind coming under the door of our homemade portable shack. Very true about the burning potential though. Dad liked the catalytics as I burned my jig pole line off with them less than with the lantern. Mr. Heaters are not great in the direct wind either. I would think the same type of shield used for them would work for the catalytic..?..

Edited by Reef Hawg 12/5/2006 10:32 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)