Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Anyone Use Cortland Masterbraid this year?

Message Subject: Anyone Use Cortland Masterbraid this year?
VMS
Posted 11/19/2007 9:51 PM (#285445)
Subject: Anyone Use Cortland Masterbraid this year?

If so, how would you rate it against the other popular braids out there like XP and powerpro?

I used 100lb red powerpro this year. Other than the red hands for a while, I thought it was not too bad, but wish I could find something a little darker that keeps it's color better than the powerpro or XP green.

So...how is the masterbraid for fraying, knot strength, casting, "professional overruns," etc. as it compares?

Thanks

Steve
curleytail
Posted 11/20/2007 9:28 AM (#285480 - in reply to #285445)
Subject: RE: Anyone Use Cortland Masterbraid this year?

I used the Masterbraid Bronzeback this year and have no complaints. I got very few backlashes - way less than I did last year. Part of this might be due to switching from a 6'6" rod last year to an 8 footer this year, but the line seemed to cast well.
It also seemed to hold up well. I didn't cut the first couple feet of line off as much as I should have, and I didn't notice any major wear. Knot strength seemed good, couldn't break anything anyway.

I think it did fade some to a medium/ligt tan color. What it didn't do was drip its color all over my hands, rod, and boat like some others do for several days.

I also used some Spiderwire on a different rod. I didn't use it quite as much, but from what I remember, it retained its green color pretty well too.
Both lines were 80lb test. I would have to say I could happily use either line, but I might prefer the Masterbraid.

curleytail
muskie_man
Posted 11/20/2007 5:13 PM (#285560 - in reply to #285445)
Subject: Re: Anyone Use Cortland Masterbraid this year?

I used it this year also. I liked it a whole lot better than the powerpro that i used to use. It casts far and smooth and is very tuff. I use the 80 pound test. I believe that you would like it!
mseybert
Posted 11/20/2007 7:13 PM (#285578 - in reply to #285445)

I also used bronzeback 80#. I prefer it to power pro, it seems to hold less water in the cold conditions keeping your hands warmer, doesn't fray as bad and casts smooth. Mine has kept its color very well too. I fortunately didn't have it bleed all over.
cjrich
Posted 11/21/2007 7:16 AM (#285623 - in reply to #285445)

DITTO on Mike's comment.

I used both 65# and 80# Masterbraid Bronzeback this year on all my reels. Very few backlashes, and the ones that did appear were pretty easy to get out (even though they look like deal-breakers when they first occur).

There are many anomolies in the Musky world; why guys insist on using Power Pro and then actually and rant and rave about the product is defintely strange. The short time I used that line (about a month or two, fishing most every day), I found that it faded and swelled up quite a bit. It also retained a great amount of water compared with the Cortland Bronzeback Masterbraid (or TUF Line for that matter). Sometimes I think the "buzz" around some of the tackle we use creates a groundswell for those of us who choose to be the Musky equivalent of being "politically correct." It's almost like the Democrats claiming to be the stronger party on national defense and homeland security.

Time and time again guys remark that their Power Pro only bleeds a little or not at all ... and they love the line. The reality of my experience with that the product was completely the opposite. I tried it in different tests (80# and 100#) and had at least 6 reels spooled with it.

Every now and then someone gets real and admits that the stuff is simply a staining mess. Hands, rod butt, clothing, bottom of the boat ... all loaded with green (or red in the case of the new Phantom line) dye. That's a nice touch, eh?

I suppose that's why America is such a great place.

Craig
Professional Edge
Posted 11/21/2007 8:19 AM (#285632 - in reply to #285623)

Here are a couple reason for what you observed about the bronzeback masterbraid.

Masterbraid gets its waterproofing from having more weaves per inch and the actual waterproofing agent is injected into the line rather than coated. You will notice with other brands that the color and coating comes off onto your hands when you put it on the reel. This does not happen with masterbraid.

As far as backlashes, the line stays round rather then turning flat like other brands. When line flattens it allows a backlash to dig in further into the spool. Also with the more weaves per inch it allows the line to stay stiffer over the course of time.

Best line I have ever used. I use it for bass, walleye, musky and panfish.

Keith

Steve Jonesi
Posted 11/21/2007 8:28 AM (#285635 - in reply to #285445)

I've used Masterbraid exclusively the past 2 seasons and not one complaint, from me or clients. Da good stuff. Steve
AWH
Posted 11/21/2007 8:37 AM (#285637 - in reply to #285445)

After using nothing but Tuf-Line "forever" and not having any complaints about it, I finally decided to give something else a try and spooled up one of my reels with Masterbraid. When it comes time to putting fresh line on my other reels, Masterbraid is going to get the nod. I was very happy with it. The biggest difference for me was how dry I was when using the reel with Masterbraid. Never noticed the line fray a bit either, where as, the Tuf Line will get a bit "hairy" (although still good) after awhile.

Aaron
Chris H
Posted 11/21/2007 9:51 AM (#285654 - in reply to #285637)

I had P Pro, Suffix, and the Cortland on reels this season. I liked the Cortland the best, Suffix was good but had a couple times it snapped of on me in-cast. Not a heavy bait either.......

I'll be respooling with the Cortland in 2008.
Chris
Pete Stoltman
Posted 11/21/2007 7:52 PM (#285745 - in reply to #285445)

Excellent description from Keith. Thanks for your insight. I used some of the Masterbraid and liked it a lot. Please note, because I work in the tackle industry I try as many different brands as I can so that I can give reasonable answers when people ask about products. My only issue was that using it (80lb.) on Garcia RCN 60 reels I didn't feel I got enough line on the spool for my comfort level. I ended up downsizing to 65lb Stealth on those reels. However I did keep the Masterbraid on Garcia 7000 reels and loved the performance.
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/21/2007 9:43 PM (#285754 - in reply to #285445)

Another vote for Bronzeback.....In my opinion Power Pro is the worst line on the market. It backlashes easily and can be difficult to pick out. I also like Tuff Line XP and although it holds water a bit more, I also like XP.
JRedig
Posted 11/22/2007 9:40 AM (#285798 - in reply to #285445)

I've got a couple reels with masterbraid and a couple with Tuff Pro (I think that's it, white coated). They're both pretty equal, IMO. Hands are much dryer with either, much less fraying and no fading. Started out with powerpro on all my stuff and absolutely hate it now....life's been so much easier since getting rid of that stuff.
MUSKYBOY
Posted 11/22/2007 5:47 PM (#285847 - in reply to #285445)

Masterbraid Bronzeback is the best line I have used, and I am slowly converting all my reels to it, using 120 pound and 80 pound test for different casting applications. I have also used Spectron for years with no complaints and I have also tested Power Pro which works fine, but not as good as Spectron or Masterbraid.
run n gun
Posted 11/22/2007 8:31 PM (#285854 - in reply to #285847)

I switched to Masterbraid this year and have been very satisfied. I fish on the pmtt full time and have noticed that my partner who uses power pro is always throwing his rods on the floor of the boat because he can't waste time pulling backlashes out during a tournament. Kind of a running joke between us.

I kind of hope he continues to use power pro it sure breaks the tension that can mount during a tournament when he starts chucking rods all over the place!

Masterbraid does faid but thats the least of my worries. Thanks to Keith at Pro edge for recommending it to me a while back.

Joe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)