Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> JAKES OR GRANDMAS??????????

Message Subject: JAKES OR GRANDMAS??????????
esoxnut
Posted 11/2/2006 7:20 PM (#218581)
Subject: JAKES OR GRANDMAS??????????

What is your preferance between these lures and why? I prefer grandmas only because they are a little lighter on the shoulder. Jakes if I am trolling because they go a little deeper. I havnt used either long enough to know which one produces better.
AWH
Posted 11/2/2006 7:32 PM (#218585 - in reply to #218581)
Subject: RE: JAKES OR GRANDMAS??????????

Actually, I believe that Grandmas dive deeper. But then I only use Jakes, so I'm not positive on that. Just haven't had a reason to give Grandmas a try, but I really should.

Aaron
Team Rhino
Posted 11/2/2006 7:36 PM (#218587 - in reply to #218581)

I troll both and like the Jakes better. It just seems like they are built better. Grandmas use stickers on some of their baits. I know on any of the halo colors they do and jakes have color painted all the way through and use a halo sticker but then clear coat the bait so the sticker won't fall off like the grandma. I also think Grandma runs deeper but I don't use enough of them to know for sure.
dogboy
Posted 11/2/2006 8:00 PM (#218591 - in reply to #218581)

Id say both, but, if you want my honest vote for the most action, Hands down on the Jakers!
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 11/2/2006 8:03 PM (#218593 - in reply to #218581)

yes,grandmas run deeper from my exp. and in fisherman doug stange had a article in his mag.on trolling the two of them. i think the grandmas have a better action to them,easier to cast,and easier to use. but what do i know.
Kingfisher
Posted 11/2/2006 9:57 PM (#218602 - in reply to #218581)

Neither one ha ha ha ha ha . I cant stand either of them. I guess thats because I cant catch fish on them. But I catch a ton of fish on the 10 inch NILS Master Invincible and the 9 inch Loke. Catch a lot of big fish on Talonz Slashers and Big Woodies. I have caught a few Pike on one of my 9 inch Grandmas and one musky in 11 years on a ten inch Jake . Ive owned at least three dozen of each and even have a bunch of custom colors and they still dont get it done for us. I catch fish on almost everything else but those two lures. Kingfisher
Big Perc
Posted 11/3/2006 6:45 AM (#218634 - in reply to #218581)

M-9 Grandma for casting...newer grandma for trolling...

Big Perc
CiscoKid
Posted 11/3/2006 6:47 AM (#218635 - in reply to #218581)

Both have their time and place in my boat just like any crankbait. 9" Grandmas dive about 8' or so while casting with rips thrown in. They are much easier to jerk around than the Jake, and have a slightly different wobble than the Jake. They also rise up much slower on the pause than the Jake. 10" Jakes dive 4-5' while casting with rips thrown in. Untinkered with the 10" Jake sare tough on a person to rip. But, add some water to weight it and it makes it much easier to jerk around to do the "jukes". I much prefer the weighted than unweighted versions. 8" Jakes are similar to the bigger brother, but dive a couple of feet deeper.

Both catch fish in my boat, and they were baits I went away from once the Triple D came around. Big mistake. This year I sucked it up to throw these lures more, and it has paid off. The 10" Jake at night has been very good this year. One in particular that I weighted to very lsowly rise on the pause was king.

Jakes have a tendancy to leak, so if you don't seal all the hook hangers you may end up with a sinker before you know it. Haven't had any problems with the Grandmas. If I had to choose one, it would be a Grandma I guess. That may change after the next outing though.
Donnie3737
Posted 11/3/2006 7:12 AM (#218641 - in reply to #218634)

Kingfisher,

Are you from over here in Michigan...and fish St. Clair?

Donnie
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 11/3/2006 8:44 AM (#218661 - in reply to #218581)

I've done better on grandmas.
mikie
Posted 11/3/2006 9:04 AM (#218668 - in reply to #218581)

After watching Mauser's Grandma (bait) come back with only the nose eye and eyeballs after a fairly mild cast up in Mpls., I'd have to recommend the Jakes. The bait just self-destructed! m
happy hooker
Posted 11/3/2006 9:57 AM (#218687 - in reply to #218581)

Watch those valuable original M-9 grandmas now!!! If you cast them in sub 50 degree water you risk breaking the lip in two,,their famous for that in the cold
ChinWhiskers
Posted 11/4/2006 8:59 AM (#218854 - in reply to #218581)

The old M9s are the best, I cut a 1/4" of off the lip of the new 9" Grandma much better casting bait, nice side wobble, only used it once casting, got a 31"er on the Cave had to get off the lake after that, Rain, 45* and 25 mph. wind gusts, Didn't whant to leave but the wife had dinner on. Im not buying any #@%**^++ 13" Grandmas after what happend on Lake St. Clair last Sept 8th. Big Muskies hit a boat rod flat line and ate a 13" Grandma this was a new lure the two back hooks and hangers were riped out of the lure and most off the paint was gone. I don't like Jakes but you wont see any 13' grandmas in my boat. The new 9" grandmas are ok just dont like that big lip. Have had very good sucess with the new 7" grandmas. Good fishing to you Marv.
muskyboy
Posted 11/4/2006 9:10 AM (#218857 - in reply to #218581)

Banging rocks casting, Jakes
Trolling where there are rocks, Jakes
Grandmas casting or trolling work great, but Jakes are much more durable in my experience
Grunt Lures
Posted 11/4/2006 11:22 AM (#218871 - in reply to #218857)

I like them both. Have had luck with them both. In fact, I used both the Grandma and the Jake when I was making my GRUNT. Of course a lot of modifications to make my 16 inch bait work correct in a trolling situation but, the Grandma and Jake gave birth to the GRUNT. Love them both!!! I do like trolling with my big Jake a little more though and like casting with my Grandma.

James
Owner,
http://www.gruntmuskielures.com

AWH
Posted 11/4/2006 11:35 AM (#218872 - in reply to #218581)

So THAT'S where the Grunt came from!!! Guys, if you haven't seen a Grunt in person, this is a great looking bait. One that's sure to get bit. And at a price that won't break the bank!

Aaron
Esoxmagnum
Posted 11/4/2006 12:11 PM (#218875 - in reply to #218581)

I get out about ten days per year--yeah, too little time on the water. It is usually in the fall and I primarily cast. While I throw both Grandma's and Jakes, I seem to have more tooth marks in the Jakes. Also, I seem to change the hooks more frequently in the Jakes--due to having to cut hooks while in a fish's mouth. This might be a self-fulfilling prophecy; however, I would say with no hesitation that the Jake is my preference.
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 11/4/2006 6:17 PM (#218896 - in reply to #218581)

Between the two, I choose Slammer Cranks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)