Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: POSER!
- (Added by: KidDerringer)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> New at this- what do you think?

Message Subject: New at this- what do you think?
Tigger
Posted 10/9/2006 6:26 PM (#213601)
Subject: New at this- what do you think?

Hey everybody I am new to the musky thing. I have it bad. I was a diehard walleye guy but this has got ahold of me now. I am a high end cabinet maker out of cleveland, oh. With my job I get to work some very nice materials in building these high end millwork. Of coarse there are scraps and then it hit me. I could use these in luremaking. I have met some diehard musky people in my area that make thier own lures and now have me hooked. I am learning as I go. Trial and errors but working thru them. I have a small pond in the back that I can test the thru the design process. The good news is that in last 2 weeks I have had 2 hook-ups on these but have not got them into the boat. The first one hit the glidder and did some damage. He grabbed the head and the leader. Is was so excited to try it that I didn't let the epoxy dry for a couple of days. I coated it the night before , thus the damage. The second came on one that is not shown. It was fully cured and held up great. It was the crank style bait. The glider is about 9" long and the crank styles are 6" in main body length plus the bill. The 2 fish that grabbed the baits were 36-40" range. The musky's are definetly different than walleyes. Have to get use to the boat strikes!
Thanks John

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC01319glide.jpg)

(DSC01289lure.jpg)

(DSC01268lure.jpg)

(DSC01354damage.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC01319glide.jpg (26KB - 111 downloads)
Attachments DSC01289lure.jpg (22KB - 101 downloads)
Attachments DSC01268lure.jpg (27KB - 119 downloads)
Attachments DSC01354damage.jpg (77KB - 121 downloads)
woodieb8
Posted 10/9/2006 7:15 PM (#213606 - in reply to #213601)
Subject: RE: New at this- what do you think?

very cool. a lot of work there fer sure
ToddM
Posted 10/9/2006 7:42 PM (#213611 - in reply to #213601)

Impressive looking baits!
BruceKY
Posted 10/9/2006 8:41 PM (#213630 - in reply to #213611)

Tigger

Those baits look great! Is that a foil finish? Very original.

Bruce
Grunt Lures
Posted 10/9/2006 8:53 PM (#213633 - in reply to #213630)

Those are sweet looking! How long does it take you to make one?

Again, nice!
James
Tigger
Posted 10/9/2006 9:21 PM (#213650 - in reply to #213601)

The scale one is a little thicker copper that is pressed into a backer. The other is an acid etched copper. That one is thinner and also on a backer. Right know it is taking about 6 hrs for each one. The things have 6 coats of 2 ton epoxy in the processs steps. Going back and reading some of your guys older threads on clear coats I'm not sure what would be best for them. The gliders take such a beating on all the casting and banging. The thing about the super smooth finish is that it is quick. I don't have alot of mileage on the musky fishing but it is sure easy on my elbow. I really notice the difference when the epoxy gets time to harden over a couple of weeks. The baits also rattle. Let me tell you it is like a rattle trap. I have an inner chamber that echo's with that material. I can hear it 10 feet from the boat. I have a hard time telling myself that is a fishing lure and not a piece of furniture. I'm almost afraid to use them. My wife kids me that I could use them as Christmas tree ornaments. I made some out of other silver type of stainless and aluminum materials also. I'll try to get some pics for you guys. I like the copper the best. It kinda looks like a carp or golden shiner, but I'm not a fish!
Musky Snax
Posted 10/10/2006 9:34 AM (#213717 - in reply to #213601)

RESPECT!
Very nice workmanship indeed. Keep 'em coming.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)