Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Design your Dream Reel

Message Subject: Design your Dream Reel
kdawg
Posted 10/4/2006 5:36 PM (#212678)
Subject: Design your Dream Reel

Let's have some fun here. Design your dream musky reel. Size, line capacity, ball bearings,etc. Or, take an excisting reel and make your modifications and lets see what we come up with. On my last thread, my dream reel was a swedish built 7000hsn with all the current technology-instant anti-reverse and the new carbon matrix drag. KDAWG
lambeau
Posted 10/4/2006 6:17 PM (#212689 - in reply to #212678)
Subject: RE: Design your Dream Reel

kdawg...did you know that Abu is releasing a 7000iHSN this month that has instant anti-reverse and the new carbon matrix drag? i believe it's described as "Swedish Engineered" or "Swedish Designed" even though it's produced out of the country.
kdawg
Posted 10/4/2006 7:15 PM (#212696 - in reply to #212689)

Yep, I do. But the key here, at least for me is that it has to be MADE IN SWEDEN with SWEDISH PARTS. Also, drop that God awful gold color of the HSN and make it in silver or black. All abu engineers do is draw up the plans, then send them to the east for production. I might even add a thumb bar to my dream HSN! Anybody else have dream reel ideas? KDAWG
reelman
Posted 10/4/2006 7:39 PM (#212700 - in reply to #212678)

The new 7000iHSN's are black in color as opposed to gold. I'm just curious if you knock other reel manufactures that are made in the Far East? Because other than some Penns they all are.
kdawg
Posted 10/4/2006 10:17 PM (#212735 - in reply to #212700)

When you have been fishing ambassaduer reels as long as I have, since 1979, its disheartening to see the direction that abu has taken. I understand that we live in a global economy,but to me it's like opening the hood to my gmc truck and seeing parts made in Japan. It's frustrating that it appears that we as anglers are running out of options with 99.9 percent of our tackle being made in asia. Is it possible that good equipment can come out of asia, sure. The reason I bring up Abu is because I've relied upon those reels for so long. What made Abu special, and I qoute "Reels built with the quality of a swiss watch". I think now, after almost 28 years and 14 different ambassaduers in my collection, I've earned the right to express my concerns. Reelman, would your dream reel start with Chinese parts? Kdawg
reelman
Posted 10/4/2006 10:26 PM (#212739 - in reply to #212678)

Kdawg, I understand your point but in all honesty I wouldn't care where my dream reel would come from as long as it was built well and reasonably priced. Sweden is a VERY EXPENSIVE place to build anything. Workers have all of July off as a paid holiday, there is government health care, etc. I would sooner pay $100 for a quality reel built in Aisa where $80 of the cost is going to parts than the same $100 that $80 of it goes to labor costs.

As for my dream reel I would go with the 1985 era 6600C (the ones with the red thumb bar) with 5.3 gears and instant anti reverse in it. Make sure that it still has the older hand fitted brake plate but upgrade the drags tothe new multi-disk version. Paint the entire sideplates in a soft-touch paint so it isn't so cold come October and November. While we are at it I would also like the sensi-brake system that is on the Records.
kdawg
Posted 10/4/2006 10:46 PM (#212745 - in reply to #212739)

Just let me say I did not want this thread to be a knock on Abu but for the other fisherman to create their own dream reel. It did not matter to me what the brand is but how other fisherman would assemble there own reels. Line capacity, gear ratios, ball bearings, thumb bars, buttons, or levers. What would your own dream reel look like with features? Kdawg
Matt Collins
Posted 10/5/2006 9:04 AM (#212798 - in reply to #212678)

For me it's the Luna 300
Tim Kelly
Posted 10/5/2006 10:11 AM (#212807 - in reply to #212678)

I'd be happy with a 7001 reel with instant anti reverse, push button spool release, maybe a graphite body to make it a bit lighter and warmer in the cold weather. I'd like the retrieve speed increased to somewhere between the 4.0:1 and 5.3:1, maybe about 4.5:1 so there was still the superb cranking power but with a little more speed as well. Carbon Matrix drag sounds good, I have put extreeme smoothies in mine, so a factory good drag would be great. Most importantly though is quality componants! I've got a red 7001 and a 7001 hs and both had teething problems. When I replaced the broken parts though, the replacements seemed to be of better quality and neither reel has missed a beat since (touch wood).
kdawg
Posted 10/5/2006 10:36 AM (#212816 - in reply to #212807)

Thanks Tim. Your response was what I was looking for on this thread. Matt, you say the luna is the perfect reel with no modifications made to it at all? Hmmmm. I'll be specific. My dream reel is 1) All parts are MADE IN SWEDEN. 2) I would start with a base 7000hsn frame. 3) 5.3to1 gear ratio is perfect for me. 4) I would add 2 more ball bearings bringing the number to 5 from 3. 5) Instant anti-reverse a must. 6) The new carbon matrix drag system added. 7) I would consider a thumb bar but I would only be able to tell if I had actually tested it on the water. 8) The reel would be silver or black with with some cool looking etching and graphics, a musky on it like the old trophy reels. 9) I would add a thumb rest to the top cross bar. 10) I have not had any experience with the sensi-brake option but I would add it anyway. If anglers are able to build custom rods, isn't it time for us to be able to build custom reels? Kdawg
Slamr
Posted 10/5/2006 11:13 AM (#212819 - in reply to #212678)

http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=2252

Kdawg, thats pretty close to what you're looking for. With the $100 you save versus a luna, you could upgrade to the features you want that arent offered on this reel.
timbuck
Posted 10/5/2006 12:20 PM (#212836 - in reply to #212798)

Matt, If you've got any more of those UC's for sale, let me know. IMO, the best reel abu has put out in many, many, years. I've got 7 of them and all I ever had to do was replace pauls, "SP"? and drag washers. They absolutely rock. Thanks. Tim.
BNelson
Posted 10/5/2006 2:27 PM (#212868 - in reply to #212678)

the 6500 cl is a killer reel..put the new drag in it and it rocks...
for me, there is no one perfect reel as imo not one reel does all things perfectly...but a close one would be

7000 CL body, a thumb rest like the record series, push button release like the record, new carbon matrix drag system, 4.5 to 1 gear ratio, nice big soft power handle...not the crap that abu makes but maybe something like the Shimano saltwater reels have...that would be a nice reel...

anyone know if you can take a 6500 CL and change the gear ratio down to 4:1 to 1?????

fish4musky1
Posted 10/5/2006 4:01 PM (#212890 - in reply to #212678)

i have a abu 5500 cl3. is this a good reel? how old is it?
Tim Kelly
Posted 10/6/2006 12:54 AM (#212956 - in reply to #212868)

MSKY HNR - 10/5/2006 8:27 PM

anyone know if you can take a 6500 CL and change the gear ratio down to 4:1 to 1?????

AFAIK you should be able to swap the 3.?:1 (3.8 I think, but I can't remember - my anorack is too full!) gears from the winch series reels into any recent model ABU 4,5 or 6 series. Not sure the 4.7:1 gears will fit though as they are from the pre ultracast days.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)