Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Girlfriend: "Whatcha doin?" Me: "Out...Fishing." Click.
- (Added by: esox50)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> eBay selling Q.

Message Subject: eBay selling Q.
Grunt Lures
Posted 9/29/2006 1:11 PM (#211632)
Subject: eBay selling Q.

I am selling some prototype colored Grunt lures on eBay and just had a question for some other guys that sell on eBay.

While I watch the Novak lures a lot I do not watch many other "basement" lures go. Have you guys sold much on eBay and have you had much luck in general with your average selling price?

Just curious and thanks,
James
http://www.gruntmuskielures.com

kevinj
Posted 9/29/2006 3:54 PM (#211656 - in reply to #211632)
Subject: RE: eBay selling Q.

While I do not sell the lures I make, I do watch alot of ebay and basement makers. Everyone starts out slow. You gotta get your name out there. Some guys do real well if they already have a good reputation etc. I have seen some makers start out selling cheap, near cost as I figure to get the exposure. Several guys like Novak and others can get more on ebay auction than what they normally charge. It is just one of those things when guys hear about hot baits and start competing and bidding for them.
Might I suggest donating a few lures to local clubs become a Muskies Inc Chapter sponsor. My chapter has a few basement makers as sponsors and they do real well in return. Guys patronize makers that see the importance of quality and supporting our club. Then you see the lures in action on another guys boat and he has got to have one too. I would sell at auction just use a reserve price that is the lowest that you can accept or are comfortable with. Hope this is helpful.
KevinJ
MI 22
Grunt Lures
Posted 9/29/2006 5:43 PM (#211673 - in reply to #211656)

Thanks Kevin,

Did I mention the Grunt is a real hot bait? lol

As for donating a few lures to local clubs. I have donated a lot of lures this year to clubs and charity auctions. Some to get my name out and for others to see my bait and some just to be a good muskie fisherman. I am sure both will bring good karma if I stay with it. I was told last year that basement/lure makers are lucky to break even in 2-3 years and a real success if they make $3k-$4k/year. I am still a little over $2k in the hole. Got some nice wood working equipment in the garage now though
Thanks again,
James

RiverMan
Posted 9/29/2006 8:52 PM (#211709 - in reply to #211632)

I would agree with Kevin completely. Once you get a following and guys know what they are going to be buying it makes things a whole bunch easier. I sell a few baits on Ebay and more than half of my business is from return customers. I would add that overall prices for many baits on Ebay have come down in the last few years. I am guessing this is a result of a whole bunch of new basement builders coming into the market, there's more for buyers to look at now. And, the price of fuel is probably keeping some guys from going to their favorite lake.....just can't afford the gas. I see Ebay as mostly a place to get your business name out.

jed v.
www.bikinibaitcompany.com

Edited by RiverMan 9/29/2006 8:56 PM
Grunt Lures
Posted 9/30/2006 1:44 PM (#211763 - in reply to #211709)

I have a small following so far. Those guys have bought about 4-5 average from me. I also have a few guides (most in Canada) that have my trolling lures too. As with most lures, you need 10-20 pictures of 50+ inch fish on your website caught with your bait and that will start the buzzzzz IMO. No 50s for me yet on any lure. Working on that one though this fall. I will be using my 16 inch Grunt a lot this fall to get some good pics on my website. As with all companies, time is the key. If you make a good product and can keep going, your name will start to show up in various places.
James

PS-RiverMan, Nice baits. I do not have one myself but my buddy has 2 of yours and likes them. They look great on your site and in person.
woodieb8
Posted 9/30/2006 5:40 PM (#211793 - in reply to #211632)

we have been at the game for years. one approach is regional types of musky fishing. here on st clair casting baits hace poor sales but cranks are hot. also as you would see every region is color selective.. with many fish over 50 and a few at 50lbs we have found good marketing is a bonus. but the true barometer is fish being caught on your baits. word of mouth may be slow but its a very strong partner in sales
RiverMan
Posted 9/30/2006 10:31 PM (#211823 - in reply to #211632)

Glad your friend likes the lures...just FYI, I have one customer that has bought more than 30 lures from me this year alone!

jed v.
Grunt Lures
Posted 10/1/2006 8:04 AM (#211845 - in reply to #211823)

LOL! I would just need 10-15 customers like that per year and I woudl be happy. My addiction used to be Suicks. My box has about every kind and color of those things. They seem to work better for me for pike though. Had a 48-50 inch muskie on Mille Lacs last year come after my red head but he was just toying with me.
The Yeti
Posted 10/2/2006 7:21 PM (#212144 - in reply to #211632)

James
you need an expert "lure paraphraser/advertiser" like me on your side!!
hahah

i plan on getting some of yours sometime in the future......job situation preventing me from making the moves i'd like to.

the trick to ebay...."rare"....ask bobeaton....selling standard suicks and believers at 20-30 and some depthraiders at 40-50 a pop.

thats insane. he must be laughing his butt off at that. i'm not a "prove me your baits catch fish kind of guy". i like being part of the process in that, or at least trying to be.

good luck man!
Grunt Lures
Posted 10/2/2006 9:34 PM (#212169 - in reply to #212144)

LOL Yeti! I have seen his auctions before. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZbobeaton1 Can't believe some fall for that in the title! More power to him though if people can't figure out to get them for half the price at a tackle store. The funny thing is he says "NEW RARE 7" BELIEVER ". Some eBayers should not even start the madness for their own sake...Maybe I will use the rare as well as I still have under 1000 of my Grunts out there. Maybe "Special Collectors Edition".

RiverMan
Posted 10/2/2006 10:23 PM (#212176 - in reply to #211632)

What really sells baits is word of mouth and success................the Weagle being a good example. Some guys started catching fish on the Weagle and the folks starting talking. Soon every site on the net was talking about "the Weagle" and every musky fisherman wanted one. After that, the price started going crazy and continued that way for a surprisingly long time.

Jed V.
Grunt Lures
Posted 10/3/2006 7:26 AM (#212199 - in reply to #212176)

I watched a Hulbert signed Weagle go for $110! I hope that guy has since caught a 60 inch muskie with it
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)