Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Thorne Musky Rod

Message Subject: Thorne Musky Rod
Arno
Posted 9/23/2006 7:18 AM (#210565)
Subject: Thorne Musky Rod

If I were to have Thorne Bros make me a musky rod. Which one do you guys like the best? I'd mainly be
throwning Mag Dawgs with it. I don't want to go to deep into the pocket book either. I know they are not
cheap. But what do you guys have them make?
Thanks
pbrostuen
Posted 9/23/2006 2:20 PM (#210582 - in reply to #210565)
Subject: RE: Thorne Musky Rod

You have a lot of options w/ thornes. You should really give them a call or better yet stop in a talk to Bill. I have four of their customs... 3 diamondbacks and a avid. My avid is based on the 8' heavy blank, and it's my dawg/big bait rod. Pretty much handles anything I want to throw. Their diamondbacks are awesome too, and you coud definitely go that route on either the heavy or jerkbait blank. Just depends on how you like to cast. Bill spent a lot of time w/ me and I learned a ton of good info from him. Between the time he spent talking to me and then building my rods I have no idea how he turns a profit. Enjoy shopping for your new rod.
MuskyJay
Posted 9/23/2006 2:30 PM (#210584 - in reply to #210582)

I would also just go in there. They will take price consideration into getting you the best rod for you. I would go with the Avid or I also really like the St. Croix Legend Tournament.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 9/23/2006 9:32 PM (#210601 - in reply to #210565)

I know that people love the Thorne Brothers Custom Rods. If you want to check out another custom option, try Keith at Professional Edge. This is my first year of musky fishing, but since I'm a broken down middle aged man, I wanted to get some nice equipment. Keith makes sticks on Diamondback blanks that are fantastic. If you search this or any of the musky sites you'll find serious fishermen raving about them.

They are light, reasonably priced for what you get, and he'll talk you through the whole process about what you need. I have two 8 footers, one heavy that throws magdawgs and the like with ease, and one medium heavy that I use for everything else. I spent a week at Eagle throwing Double #10 Colorado Blade bucktails with the MH and my out of shape body held up well. That rod loaded beautifully and threw bullets. I also have a 7' 3" jerkbait rod. I have not seen cork on any other rod like the cork on these.

The Thorne Brothers Rods I'm sure are great, but I'd also contact Keith. He's a great guy, and low pressure. He actually checks in with me once in a while to see how I'm doing and how I like the sticks. Very cool guy. Why not compare the two? Here's a link to his site.

http://www.professionaledgefishingrods.com/

Kevin

I probably sound like a schill, but I think your selling yourself short if you don't look at both.

Edited by MuskyHopeful 9/23/2006 9:33 PM
guts
Posted 9/24/2006 4:49 PM (#210629 - in reply to #210565)

you could go in there and talk to anybody they are the most help full store ive been to by far
uptown
Posted 9/25/2006 10:50 PM (#210847 - in reply to #210565)

Go there and talk to Lonnie. He makes great rods and will help you decide. I have had them make rods for me with St croix Avis and Legend blanls as well as diamond back blanks. For Mag Dawgs I like the 8 heavy Avid. It throws all of my big stuff no problem including a couple of custom 14" Trueglide gliders that are big and heavy!

Troyz.
Posted 9/26/2006 6:40 AM (#210860 - in reply to #210565)

Arno

Give Keith at Professional Edge rods a call, he will make what you want, this is the first year I have started using his rods. They are simply the best out there on the market. He does quality work. I don't use diamondback on dawgs especially in the cold weather, I have had 2 break(I have heard that High Modules rods suspect to break in cold weather, Kieth Stated he would stand behind his rods and the cold should not effect them), I am using a All-Star 8 XHeavy, but Kieth has a blank that he would make into a great Bulldawg rod for a lot less than a diamondback, give him a call and he will get it build for you.

Good Luck

Troyz
Muskie Treats
Posted 9/26/2006 1:59 PM (#210968 - in reply to #210565)

If you want to throw Dawgs get have Thornes make you one from those new blue St.Croix blanks. They have one that's rated for 2-8oz. I had them make me a 8'6" on that blank and it's AWSOME! By far the best heavy bait rod I've used. I've pretty much retired my Avids in favor of the new blue ones.
Richard Turner
Posted 9/26/2006 3:37 PM (#210994 - in reply to #210565)

I got one of the 7ft 6" St Croix blue hand made rods the other month from Thorne Bros and I am using it over here in Ireland for pike. Its the absoloute dogs gonads!!
Arno
Posted 9/27/2006 7:01 AM (#211051 - in reply to #210565)

Ok, so now I'm set on a rod. What reels do you guys put on them. I've had Shimano Cardiffs and they don't seem to hold up. I just purchased a Abu 60HC Record. I hope this one can stand the abuse of throwing Mag Dawgs.
Richard Turner
Posted 9/27/2006 7:24 AM (#211058 - in reply to #210565)

Thats exactly what I have got loaded with 80lb Power Pro, very sweet setup, also got from the Thorne boys. You really need the HC
pbrostuen
Posted 9/27/2006 2:37 PM (#211169 - in reply to #210565)

I'm a 7000 man all the way, once they've gone to 7000's very few people switch to anything else.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)