Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Gloves?

Message Subject: Gloves?
Slamr
Posted 9/14/2006 7:43 AM (#209138)
Subject: Gloves?

The fall is coming, the fish are getting fatter, and lord knows the temps are going to drop. For those of you who dont put the boat away when the leaves start to change colors, what are you using for gloves?

I keep about 6-7 pairs of cheap neoprenes in the boat, and rotate them as they get cold and wet (usually when holes develop), while keeping a pair of ski gloves in the boat for running/trolling situations.
sorenson
Posted 9/14/2006 7:48 AM (#209139 - in reply to #209138)
Subject: RE: Gloves?

I use fingerless ragg wool if it gets too cold for bare hands. I keep a bunch of latex (or nitrile) surgical-type gloves in the boat too, but haven't had to dig into them myself (have had boat partners that used them though). Personally, I'm just not a huge fan of gloves, but realize that they are necessary sometimes.
S.

Edited by sorenson 9/14/2006 8:02 AM
Troyz.
Posted 9/14/2006 7:52 AM (#209141 - in reply to #209138)

Latex gloves, that way at the end of the day I can give someone like you a free proctal exam! Want to go this fall. The Latex keep the hands dry, wind resistant, keep full hand dexterity, and cheap, can buy box of 50 for couple $$. When real cold these team up with some hand heaters, and cheap clothe gloves seem to do the trick. I also have a big pair of leather choppers for running the boat or trolling

Troyz
BALDY
Posted 9/14/2006 7:53 AM (#209142 - in reply to #209138)

I usually just find the thinnest glove I can find and only wear one on the reel hand...just to keep away from the cold of the metal. I'll wear a latex glove under that to keep my hand dry.

When it gets REALLY cold I bring multiple pair of wool gloves. When one gets wet, I grab a new pair. Gotta keep the latex on to keep the hands dry too.

I have a pair of Arctic Cat snowmobile gloves for running or trolling.

Edited by BALDY 9/14/2006 7:55 AM
bnelson
Posted 9/14/2006 7:55 AM (#209143 - in reply to #209138)

Gloves are probably the one item I have the most of in my boat in the fall...besides baits that is....
I carry enough gloves to outfit a small army....this has come from many days of frozen hands..
What I do now is mainly use those wool, fingerless gloves..they make some with thinsulate and those are the ones I use..lots of those..I'd say 5-6 pairs, switch them out as they get wet from the water coming off the reel or the snow/rain/drizzle you are suffering thru for a fish! ...I also carry, a thin pair or 2 of goretex bowhunters shooting gloves..great for when it's maybe just a touch colder or really wet out..I carry a big oversized pair of woolskin mittens, those I can easily slip on and off when running spot to spot, I carry some waterproof goretex ski gloves as well...and lastly I got these last fall and haven't had a great chance to really test them but will this fall...but my first reaction was I liked them...I

http://www.icearmor.com/icearmor_gloves.html

have seemingly tried neoprene gloves over and over and for whatever reason, maybe bad circulation to my hands, my hands always got cold...
I carry most of my arsenal of gloves in a big waterproof ziploc in a storage compartment....if your buddy shows up with one pair and his get wet you have backups for him waiting so you can fish longer!!! (ummm Sled!)

Carry lots of gloves....

oh those little heater thingies work pretty good too, put them on your palm in real cold stuff..I carry a bunch of those too

Vince Weirick
Posted 9/14/2006 8:01 AM (#209144 - in reply to #209138)

My friends call me nuts...I never wear gloves! I know that a cheap pair of cotton gloves coupled with a hand warmer does the best trick for what I have been told.
muskihntr
Posted 9/14/2006 8:26 AM (#209151 - in reply to #209138)

a couple pair of neoprene gloves, a pair of heavy gloves but i use one of these hand warmer muffs with a hot pack in the most of the day that way i really dont need gloves. they work out great for ice fishing too!!!!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(85068.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 85068.jpg (28KB - 103 downloads)
Donnie3737
Posted 9/14/2006 8:30 AM (#209152 - in reply to #209138)

Much like Brad, neoprene doesn't work for me....as well, I use fingerless wool....if it gets really cold, I switch to some thinsulate, goretex gloves, that keep me warm and dry. As for using it just on the reel handle, that'd be tough...my thumb that is casting, left one, gets very WET....so, it seems to get colder faster.

Last year, while fishing with Craig and Weston, for the whole time we were in Canada, it never got above 19 degrees Fahrenheit.

Donnie
pgaschulz
Posted 9/14/2006 8:43 AM (#209155 - in reply to #209138)

Footjoy makes a great pair of Winter Soft gloves that us golfers wear. I use them for fishing as well, all you have to do is spray them with water proofing and bam you are set, I keep two pairs in the boat just incase one gets wet, IE a sucker jumps out of the live well and I dont think but grab it with a glove or whatever. Ski gloves for moving around but you should check out these footjoy wintersoft gloves they are great.

pga
lambeau
Posted 9/14/2006 8:56 AM (#209157 - in reply to #209138)

rather than trying to invent my own system, or changing gloves every 45 minutes, i use gloves that are actually designed for casting in cold weather and cold water. i put them on, i start casting, and i forget about it. i've worn these all day long when the temp was below freezing and not been cold.
there is a huge difference between quality neoprene gloves and the cheapos from the corner store!

http://www.glacierglove.com/pages/gloves1.htm

i prefer the "821" style myself, these are designed for flyfishing in winter mountain streams:
2mm neoprene that works when it's wet
lined with fleece to help keep you warm
curved fingers for ease of holding the rod/reel
slit index finger and thumb so you can expose your fingers if needed to pick at line, change lures, etc.

one thing i also do is bring along a pair of oversized "choppers" mittens to put on when i'm driving between spots. the neoprene keeps you warm, not dry, and if you stop moving (casting) you will get cold. so take them off when you're not fishing and put on some mittens.

this is the best $45 i ever spent to help keep me on the water when it's cold.

(821.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 821.jpg (18KB - 92 downloads)
Posted 9/14/2006 8:59 AM (#209158 - in reply to #209138)

anyone ever use the mr. heater in the boat for a quick warm up?
muskihntr
Posted 9/14/2006 9:16 AM (#209163 - in reply to #209138)

i have one and its fine to warm the finger tips real quick but doesnt throw off enough heat to warm that big of a area in a open boat!

Edited by muskihntr 9/14/2006 9:17 AM
MuskyHopeful
Posted 9/14/2006 10:55 AM (#209196 - in reply to #209138)

I'll be ordering a pair of the gloves Lambeau linked to. That way my hands will be warm in his boat while we pre-fish P.I. on Thursday. I'll also need to be ready to fish with Slamr the following couple days, because he says if I don't dress warm enough, he'll let me freeze to death. I might get one of those furry Russian hats. Anyone ever strap a live dog to their head? I think our Westy would make a good hat, as he's quite warm. It's hard to make him sit still though, and he barks a lot.

Thanks Lambeau.

Kevin

Still PackerHopeful.
oldgoat
Posted 9/14/2006 10:58 AM (#209197 - in reply to #209138)

Clam Corp / Ice Team has Ice Armor Gloves that you can keep your hands under water and stay warm and dry.... I am with Ice Team and am very happy with the product!!!!Or Check with Thornes in Fridley...Thorne Bros.com?? good luck Wayne
Grunt Lures
Posted 9/14/2006 12:33 PM (#209217 - in reply to #209197)

I also use Glacer Gloves. You can still feel the line going out on a reel through the thumb and function with these on. Awsome gloves for getting wet and keeping your hands dry down to 20F.

James
http://www.gruntmuskielures.com

(i921640sq02.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments i921640sq02.jpg (24KB - 96 downloads)
Magruter
Posted 9/26/2006 7:18 AM (#210864 - in reply to #209138)

Mike, did you pick your gloves up locally or online? What size do you wear?

Edited by Magruter 9/26/2006 7:22 AM
jdsplasher
Posted 9/26/2006 8:10 AM (#210876 - in reply to #209157)

Lambeau; The glacier insulated glove is the one I use. Tip, make sure you buy the glove big enough so you have some room in the glove. Tight gloves will make your hands cold. You can always add a hand warmer inside the glacier glove. They are worth the $45. I will use this glove all winter fishing Browns down at lake Michigan in 10 below degree weather...AWESOME
Grunt Lures
Posted 9/26/2006 8:22 AM (#210878 - in reply to #210876)

Cabelas has tehm for $19.95 special right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=00280...

If the above link does not work try:
http://www.cabelas.com
and type in "Glacier Camo Glove" in the search box.
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/26/2006 8:36 AM (#210881 - in reply to #209138)

When using neoprene gloves, I find that if you get your hands wet and water inside the glove that is the best way to keep your hands warm. When I salmon and steelhead fish in the rivers in the fall, I will dip my hands underwater to get water in the neoprene. Sure it is cold at first but neoprene is designed to hold water in, but also keep water out. It is the same function as a wet suit for scuba diving. Water gets in, but it also stays in and heats up with your body temperature keeping you warm. This may be a problem some have with the uninsulated neoprene gloves. Obviously if you have the insulated ones they are not designed to get soaked.

Mike
lambeau
Posted 9/26/2006 8:37 AM (#210882 - in reply to #209138)

wow, that's a great deal. i may pick another pair up as a backup in the boat.

Scott: i've never seen them in a store locally, but then i never really look b/c it's so easy to get things like this online. i wear a size Medium in these gloves, and they fit without being tight, but then i have girlishly small hands.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)