Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> advice please?

Message Subject: advice please?
asteffes
Posted 9/21/2006 6:00 PM (#210311)
Subject: advice please?

Hey guys-

Here is my situation:

I am a teacher and I am able to use 1 personal day a year (basically 1 vacation day) and I use it to make a long weekend of fishing. I took my personal day for tomorrow (Friday, the 22nd) and the forecast is for wind and rain all day and continuing into Sat etc.......

I have no problem fishing in the rain, but do you think the fish will be cooperating tomorrow? I will most likely be in Polk Co. WI, with my main options of Bone, Deer, and the Apple River.

Question: Would you save your personal day and use it in a week or two? Or go tommorrow?

If you would go, how would you attack the water that day.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Tony
fishnriggs
Posted 9/21/2006 6:40 PM (#210317 - in reply to #210311)
Subject: RE: advice please?

You had better have some great raingear for the next few days. I'd wait , there are much better days ahead.
Do you know Miss Crabtree ?

Frank

...whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again...
kevin
Posted 9/21/2006 6:46 PM (#210318 - in reply to #210311)

New moon tonight?? fishing might be pretty darn good actually, tough call I guess
TJ DeVoe
Posted 9/21/2006 6:47 PM (#210319 - in reply to #210311)

I feel your pain asteffes. Being in school here at Point, I am limited to a couple of places that I can cast to from shore. These places get worked over on a daily bases. But being back to school, I'm the true meaning of weekend warrior now that I'm back here. If it were I, I would go to school and plan a different day. Why you may ask? Well, I do not have a problem at all fishing in the rain at all! Thus, why I have a Gore-Tex rainsuit. But if you have one day to go, I would want to try and plan a day when you at least have somewhat of decent weather. Weather may or may not affect you fishing wise, but standing in the rain all day and thinking you have one day a year to use, and the day you use is pouring down rain, cool, windy and just not the best day to be out. But then again, those days could be your best days. I guess I sure in the heck wouldn't want to plan a day in the rain when that's all there calling for. Another thing you could think about is, how is the local report? Have your buddies been out or anyone you may know? Talk with them and see how things have been going on the lake or lakes you are seeking to go to. That's what I would do, others will see different. Then again, beggers can't be choosers go when you can! Good luck with your decision.
asteffes
Posted 9/21/2006 8:13 PM (#210329 - in reply to #210311)

Thanks guys! Anyone else wanna chime in? Anyone know the polk area and wants to share a recent report? I was on Bone two weeks ago and had some success.

PM me or post here if you know anything about the Polk Co. area.

Muskyone is always really great about helping me out! Thanks again Mike!!!!!

So anyone else have an opinion about how the fish will bite in this weather? Later...

Tony
Jerry Newman
Posted 9/21/2006 9:53 PM (#210346 - in reply to #210311)

Tony,

I don't know that area but can help you out with something that might be important to you. When it rains heavy I wear a pair of PVC pants that I cut into shorts under my regular rain suit... bottom stays dry every time. I also wear the rain jacket over my life vest so it kind of hangs away from my body, and 2 rain jackets are better than one. Anyway, I hope this helps and I just love fishing in the rain unless there's lighting... remember it never rains underwater:)
Bytor
Posted 9/21/2006 10:08 PM (#210347 - in reply to #210311)

Bone will be brutal with a big south wind. On Deer at least you will be able to fish some spots in that wind. I have never fished the Apple.
asteffes
Posted 9/24/2006 8:01 AM (#210608 - in reply to #210311)

Hey Guys,

I thought I would give you an update on my trip. I ended up taking off on Friday and we had a great day on the water. We had about 6 follows on topwater in the shallows with their nose pinned up against the bait but would either turn on it and miss or we would run out of room and they would turn at the boat. We lost 4 on suckers, (my hook percentage is horrible with those things), but thankfully we used quick strikes so we just gave the muskies a couple free meals to fatten them up for later. We ended up boating one upper thirties, but the action was steady.

Sat the fish were on FIRE! We boated three, one on a sucker and two on topwater. Topwater was the ticket on Sat. We had 5 or six others destroy out baits only to miss or come unhooked after one or two initial headshakes. We also had another 10-12 follow in hot to the boat. The sucker bite was not nearly as good on Sat. We had two take suckers right away in the a.m, but after about 10:00 a.m we did not see any more action on the meat.

I am glad I went! It barely rained at all on Fri, I mean it rained, but mostly just a sprinkle here and there. Sat was nice most of the day, but around 5:00 we finally had to leave as the rains became heavy and the fish seemed to stop moving.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their input! Talk to you all later

Tony
Bytor
Posted 9/24/2006 9:04 AM (#210609 - in reply to #210311)

Tony what lake did you end up fishing?
fish4musky1
Posted 9/24/2006 1:41 PM (#210615 - in reply to #210311)

nice, thats awesome for a couple days of fishing, even for a week 4 would be good.
Posted 9/24/2006 6:53 PM (#210648 - in reply to #210311)

wowee.....thats action from 32 muskies in two days? Did you fish a hatchery?
asteffes
Posted 9/24/2006 7:39 PM (#210665 - in reply to #210648)

Nope, just a very common polk county area lake
sworrall
Posted 9/24/2006 8:12 PM (#210669 - in reply to #210665)

Sounds like a great trip, surely better than working!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)