Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> wannabe with a question

Message Subject: wannabe with a question
tuck
Posted 8/30/2006 9:43 PM (#207350)
Subject: wannabe with a question

Hello all,

I discovered this website about 3 or 4 months ago and now it has developed into a serious addiction. The amount of information that is passed through this website daily is simply amazing. The knowledge and insight of some of the finest musky anglers in the country keeps me coming back every day to see what else I can use to shorten my learning curve.
My first exposure to the musky world was almost 10 years ago when I was just starting high school. My family wanted to try somewhere different in Canada for our family vacation and Merkel's on Wabigoon Lake is where we landed for two years in a row. We were targeting walleyes, pike, and the occasional smallmouth which provided very good fishing for us both years. But, after those two years the one thing I remember the most was something I didn't even catch. We hooked several muskies over those two years, whether it was tossing spinnerbaits for bass or trolling crankbaits for walleyes and were never geared up when the moment arose. They seemed to know when you put down the musky rod and picked up a much lighter stick for the walleye and bass fishing. And of course when we were geared up and tried fishing for them, you guessed it, nobody home. There was only one fish that showed her face when we were actually targeting muskies. She came out of the water with her mouth wide open as my Suick rose back to the surface and completely missed the bait. I could not stand for the next 10 minutes and didn't stop shaking till we got back to camp that night. For some reason, that was our last trip to Wabigoon and Rainy Lake has become our annual destination. However, the memory of that musky and of the others showing themselves at inopportune moments has never faded. Living in Iowa, I have never been able to make it back up there since.
Over the last year, I've decided that I'm going to dive into the pursuit of this fish whole heartedly. After twisting and pulling my dad's arm hard enough, I talked him into taking a return musky only trip to the Goon to settle a little unfinished business. After spending money like I actually had it on two new rods/reels and enough baits to fill a brand new Flambeau tackle box, I felt I was prepared by the time we had to leave. Upon our arrival we decided to head right out that afternoon in anticipation of what might happen. We pull up to the very first small bay and on the fifth cast of the trip a 35" musky crushes my spinnerbait as I rip it through the cabbage. As that fish hit the cradle, my interest in musky fishing instantly became an addiction. My excitement at that moment is something I can't explain and will never forget. After watching my first muskie swim away, I thought to myself that I might actually have a little clue as to what I'm doing and this really isn't all that hard. Man did I get proven terribly wrong, we proceeded to fish extremely hard for the next 5 days and didn't boat another fish. What started as one of the best trips of my entire life had me completely bummed out by the time we left. I had one goal for that trip, however, and that was to boat my first muskie while actually fishing for them, so I realized on the way home that it was a successful trip after hall and I had a lot of homework to do before hopefully hitting the Goon next year.
What I actually wanted to ask was a quick question regarding different rods for different baits. I've got two Shimano Compre 7' in MH and H. I'm looking at buying at least two more and just wanted some opinions on what rods you guys use to throw certain baits. Looking at some of the 7'6" and wanted to know what you guys think.

Heavy Swimbaits- Bulldawgs, Real Fish, etc. ?
Gliders- Mantas, Phantoms ?
Walk the Dog Topwaters- Jackpots, Weagles?
Cranks- Depthraiders and the like
Spinnerbaits- small and large

This isn't everything, but I'd like to buy a couple new rods that would enable me to effectively and comfortably chuck these baits all day. Thanks for any help and keep up the good work on the website.

Gabe
rods
Posted 8/30/2006 10:05 PM (#207353 - in reply to #207350)
Subject: RE: wannabe with a question

if you buy a tica 8'6" ex heavy you can probably throw just about everything on your list..maybe get an 8' heavy for the lighter stuff and you'll be set
Ranger
Posted 8/31/2006 2:34 AM (#207363 - in reply to #207350)

Gabe..

Can't go wrong with St. Croix rods. Spend less for Cortland or much more for Loomis. Cortland rods are the best deal around.
dogboy
Posted 8/31/2006 5:50 AM (#207365 - in reply to #207350)

If you like a light rod with pretty good backbone, look to a fig rig, If you can find one, get a 7'6" in a heavy, I am also partial to the St.croix 7'6" extra heavy with a fast tip, this rod is a workhorse that does it all, you can cast small spinners and minnow baits on up to as big as you want to throw. definitely lean towards a longer rod with some backbone in it though. this will cut the fatigue in half from using a shorter more limber rod. But, also put some money into the business end of the rod and get yourself a good reel, If you have the money to throw around, you'll get what you pay for. This also cuts down on fatigue. Once you get rid of the riggers of casting large baits all day long, you get down to working baits better, thinking about what you should be thinking about, instead of taking breaks and rubbing your wrists.

Welcome to our addiction, I havent put it down yet.
mikie
Posted 8/31/2006 6:04 AM (#207367 - in reply to #207350)

Yeah, this place got me hooked, too, back in the day. Great bunch of folks; if I may suggest, you can really shorten your curve by attending a Muskie First outing. Great buch of people and real good times.
I run a couple Fenwick rods that I like a lot, to each his own. There's a lot to learn and the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, hope to see you around here a bunch. Good luck with your new passion. m
Troyz.
Posted 8/31/2006 7:37 AM (#207381 - in reply to #207350)

Gabe

Here would be my 2 choices for the baits your talking about throwing. I have been using Professional Edge rods this year, they are a custom rod that are build on a diamond back black, they are great rods, lightweight, and actions is excellent in loading for casting and driving the hooks home on fish.

8' Xheavy-Bulldawgs, depthraiders, spinnerbaits.
6'10" Jerkbait-For Phantoms, glide baits, jackpot and other walk the dog baits.

You can order them to any spec you want, I would go with the thick cork on the handle, reduces hand fatique.

Good luck

Troyz
sputterbug
Posted 8/31/2006 9:37 AM (#207404 - in reply to #207350)

Tuck,

Great story, and it's good to hear your description about getting into this crazy sport. My story is similar to yours, but I started about 7 years ago, and there are still tough times. This site and others and the great angler advice will shorten the learning curve and give you confidence, but I once went 9 days without a fish in the boat, and hardly a follow, on a trip while others were doing ok. On the 10th day I boated 2 and suddenly felt better. Sometimes that's how it is For five years my biggest was 36" and 38" topwater fish, then finally I got a 45". This year I was blessed with a 48.5 and next day hooked into a real hog that we lost at the net. So the addiction never goes away... that's how it should be

I've used all kinds of rods, and own two custom Thorne Bros. right now. They're great, but based on your list and what I throw, my go-to rod now is an 8' St. Croix Avid. It's tough and versatile and relatively light and can handle anything I hook on. I use it with topwater, cranks, medium gliders, dawgs, spinnerbaits, and most bucktails (except light ones). It's nice for the fig8 too.

Enjoy it and good luck on the water!

Shep
Posted 8/31/2006 9:58 AM (#207407 - in reply to #207404)

You are in for a great adventure! Like is said many times, don't worry about the final destination, enjoy the journey!

Gotta give my .02 about my new favorite rods, Fig Rig rods. I was a St Croix man for most of my muskie fishing days. I loved my Premier rods. I added a few Avids when they came out. As I got older, I would always get this big knot between the shoulders during a long day on the water. My good friend, the late KLY, let me use his Fig Rig at the Sab Bay outing several years ago. If fit and felt great. It was light, balanced, and plenty of beef. I bought a couple the following year, and have been using them ever since. Sold all my St Croix's, except for the 8' Classic Cats that I use for sucker fishing in the cold weather.

That said, I like a longer rod, 8'+, and medium heavy action, for Bucktails, prop style top waters, and twitch baits. I still like a shorter, 7', heavy action rod for jerkbaits, and hard pulling crankbaits. 7'6" Medium Heavy for spinnerbaits, Suicks, and walk the dog top waters.

Good luck, and welcome to to MuskieFirst.

Edited by Shep 8/31/2006 10:02 AM
Slamr
Posted 8/31/2006 10:10 AM (#207408 - in reply to #207350)

Heavy Swimbaits- Bulldawgs, Real Fish, etc. ?
Gliders- Mantas, Phantoms ?
Walk the Dog Topwaters- Jackpots, Weagles?
Cranks- Depthraiders and the like
Spinnerbaits- small and large

I'm going to go against the grain a little here and recommend the 7'7" MH from GLoomis

http://products.gloomis.com/gl/products/alltackle/detail.jsp?PRODUC...

Probably not your rod for Magnum Dawgs, nor will it be perfect for the smallest spinnerbaits, but it will work for pretty much everything else you're looking to throw with it. The GLoomis line is a bit higher in price than that Fig Rigs, but the sensitity, light weight, and amazing customer service policies make up for that gap.
I'd pair it with a Abu Garcia in a 5000 series (I like the smaller reels for everything but super heavy baits, trolling, and really large bladed bucktails), possibly a Record or C3.

(and no, I dont Pro-Staff for GLoomis)
esoxaddict
Posted 8/31/2006 10:18 AM (#207411 - in reply to #207350)

It's not about what you catch, how many, how big, etc. It's about being on the water fishing!

I've got 6 rods, and there are things I like and dislike about all of them...

My best advice? Don't buy ANYTHING just on a recommendation -- there are guidelines on what lengths/weights/actions of rods to use for what baits, and its good to know what rods are for what applications.

BUT

You have to know what YOU LIKE, and what fits your style of fishing.

If you're 6'6", a 6'9" rod probably won't be your favorite, especially if you're fishing aout of a boat that sits high in the water.

Personally, I really like fat grips. Only one of my rods has fat grips and I had no idea I would like them until I got the rod. Now I wish the other 5 had fat grips.

Then there's the small stuff like a hook hanger -- my St criox rods have a hook hanger, and the Fig Rigs have a hole in the trigger - I like the hook hanger better because you can clip the leader (snap) onto it, but it bends when you hook a bait on it and the hooks scratch up the glass on the rod.

Then you have to ask yourself some other questions like "will it fit in my rod locker?" "Will it fit in my truck?"

As far as brands? It doesn't matter as much the brand of the rod. What's important are the components -- what sort of guides do they use? What about the reel seat? Who makes the blank?

You really have to know what you want, why you want it, and what you are going to do with it first in my opinion.

If I were to start over buying rods (ok, I won half of them, can't complain when it's free!!)

Only two of the 6 would still be in the rotation, and of those two, neither are rods I actually bought.
Vince Weirick
Posted 8/31/2006 2:31 PM (#207449 - in reply to #207350)

Slamr and Gabe,

I use a 7'7" MH Loomis for EVERYTHING I use. Can't go wrong!
Bytor
Posted 8/31/2006 2:45 PM (#207453 - in reply to #207350)

The length of rod that works best for you depends on what boat you are fishing out of. If your boat deck sits real low in the water you will hate the really long rods, conversly if your deck sits real high you would love the longer rods.

In my old boat I thought a 7'6" rod was to long...in my new boat 7'6" is the shortest rod that I use.

Edited by Bytor 8/31/2006 2:47 PM
Southern_Musky06
Posted 9/1/2006 6:49 AM (#207508 - in reply to #207350)

I use an 8' H Dixie Stick for my heavy baits such as the bigger gliders, bulldawgs, mantas, etc. Most of you probably aren't familiar with the Dixie Stick and neither was i until a few months ago. For the money, their a really good stick. I also have a 7 H Dixie Stick that i use only when rattle trap fishing. Don't get me wrong, St. Croix and Esox make excellent rods, and 90% of the time they are what i use. Only in certain situations will i use these two rods. But if your looking for something inexpensive these two rods may be the way to go. Cortland also makes a good bucktail rod with a lifetime guarantee, and i'm sure they make other sizes but it's the only Cortland rod that we carry in our shop.
Herb_b
Posted 9/1/2006 8:40 AM (#207515 - in reply to #207350)

You might want to check out the Gander Mountain rods and reels. The Guide reels are Pfluegers for ten dollars less than a Pfleuger. (The Pfleuger reels are really good.) Their IM8 rods are relatively inexpensive at $80, $70 on sale, and are really nice for small to medium sized Muskie baits. I have an 8' IM8 MH and a 6'9" IM8 H and love them both. I use the 8' for small to medium sized bucktails, spinner baits, and cranks. I use the 6'9" H for gliders and small to medium sized jerk-baits. I use an 8' H Shimano Compre for big baits like Mag Bulldawgs. That is a good rod too, but not so light and will wear one down more as the day goes on.

The Gander Mountain IM8 rods are a very good deal for the money. They are incredibly light and have a lot more backbone than meets the eye. I have done battle with some very large Muskies and the IM8s have never failed me. And I can cast with them all day long - something I can't do with even my high-end rods due to my bad shoulders.

For spinner-baits, you might want to think Rad Dogs and CJs. They both come in various sizes and blade configurations so one can use them for many applications. Both catch fish and both are rugged and can take a beating. None of this "toss them after one decent Muskie" nonsense like a lot of lightly made baits. CJs are made with hair and have a little better components. The Rad Dogs are made with plastic skirts and cost a few dollars less. It just depends what you like.

Good luck.
BNelson
Posted 9/1/2006 9:45 AM (#207524 - in reply to #207350)

I would have to somewhat disagree with the boat having to be a factor on rod length...maybe I'm crazy but I think long rods can be used effectively out of any boat...8' and longer are great even in boats low to the water...talk about deep figure 8's...
I like 8' for jerkbaits, 8'6" for everything else and will have a 9' shortly

bn
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/1/2006 9:51 AM (#207525 - in reply to #207350)

Definately another vote for the Loomis rods....love mine!

Mike
lambeau
Posted 9/1/2006 10:32 AM (#207528 - in reply to #207524)

maybe I'm crazy but I think long rods can be used effectively out of any boat...8' and longer are great even in boats low to the water...talk about deep figure 8's...

my boat is about as low to the water as any deep-v design out there (Tuffy 1760GT).
i use 8' rods for spinners, in-line bucktails, and bulldawgs, and as mentioned they're great for figure-8s. something which i find also really helps on deep-8s is extended butt lenght, i like 18" rod butts - an extra 3" over most standard rods. i find the extra butt length makes for a great fulcrum point to place your hand one while doing deep-8s.
i do like a slightly shorter rod (7'6") for gliders and dive/rise jerkbaits since i prefer not to hit the water with my rod tip. although moving your rod slightly to the side, rather than straight up and down, also solves this issue even on the longer rods.
like anything, it takes a little getting used to, but don't shy away from long rods just because you're fishing out of a boat that's close to the water. the advantages are still there.

rod brand preference?
i'm ok with my Gander Guide Series: cheap, but i find them to lack the power i prefer.
i like my basic St.Croix Premiers: the cost is relatively low, good variety of lengths/actions, high durability.
i love my Diamondbacks: so lightweight and great actions, but more expensive.
BNelson
Posted 9/1/2006 10:56 AM (#207533 - in reply to #207350)

working your jerkbaits, side to side topwaters with the rod slightly to the side I think also has a better advantage than working your rod straight down as you are in a better position to set the hook and have less slack line working your baits like that to the side....just another advantange of long rods...

Rods: I love the old All Star Big Games..8 and 8'6" x heavy..if you can find any buy them
The new Ticas were modeled after those rods..I havent used them personally but know people who like them
Keiths Professional Edge rods are great too
Really there are so many great rods out there you pretty much can't go wrong with the rod you choose...just get the right length and action you are looking for..
Ranger
Posted 9/1/2006 3:50 PM (#207590 - in reply to #207350)

As I get more experienced I like longer and longer rods. My boat sits low and fig 8's are no prob with a 7' rod. Still, I like longer rods, with one exception. The exception is the 7' rod I use to work a suick or a poes jackpot or certain gliders. Working those baits means straight down pulls/taps/heaves(jackpot) and a longer rod puts the rod tip in the water towards the end of the pull/tap. A rod tip in the water means I feel out of control, out of touch, with the bait. Don't like it a bit and it makes me work harder to get the rod out of the water in case of a strike. Extra effort adds up as you pass 10 hours on the water. Now, I just use shorter rods for those aplications, with high speed reels, and the delimma is resolved.

How big are your hands????? If leaning smaller, you don't want a fat cork if palming a reel like the Abu 5000 or 6000 series. If your hands are smaller, and you use Abus, look toward a slimmer cork. Never used figs but now I want to get one. Again, Cortlands are a GREAT deal if you are getting started - you can get all 3 sizes for less than the price of one top-of-the-line other rod. The Cortlands, I was told, are copies of older Loomis designs. I have all three and they are workhorses. All in all though, the 7'2" St. Croix Premier, as a stand alone, is tough to beat.
tuck
Posted 9/5/2006 5:49 PM (#207968 - in reply to #207350)

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I have plenty of recommendations, now it's just up to how much money I want to spend.

Thanks

Gabe
Herb_b
Posted 9/6/2006 11:01 AM (#208068 - in reply to #207350)

I was at Gander this wekeend and they have a new series of rods out that look really nice. They call them the Guide Tournaments series rods.
- They are built much stouter than the regular IM8 rods. The 7'6" version was rated for up to 4 oz lures. Don't know about the 8 fter.
- They are very light. Comparable to rods costing $180 or more.
- They seem to have a fairly soft tip that should allow a person to cast regular sized baits as well as larger lures.
- They are inexpensive at about $80.
- There is also a Pike Tournament series that may work well for women and kids who tend to throw smaller Muskie baits and need a smaller rod to fit their hands.

I was thinking of getting another 8' MH IM8, but now I'm going to look around for a 8' Tournament series Guide rod.

Something worth checking out for those that thought the older Gander Guide rods were a little to light for their liking.
archerynut36
Posted 9/6/2006 7:28 PM (#208134 - in reply to #207350)

look at the bass pro pete maina series i use the 7 1/2 for most of my baits it will throw anything from a dog to a weagle. abnd inbetween.. and the 8 1/2 is great bor bucktails and bladetopwaters. good fig 8 ing and a good control rod.. also it trolls verry well and the 8 ftrs troll well also. i have many of them and love them....bill
Ranger
Posted 9/6/2006 7:33 PM (#208135 - in reply to #207350)

ps: regarding the Cortalnd rods....they come with a no-matter-what-if-it-breaks-we'll-send-you-another-one. No matter what, if you break it you get a new one. No matter what and no questions asked. New rod. That's a consideration worth, um, considering.
Posted 9/6/2006 8:17 PM (#208144 - in reply to #207350)

I buy and use nothing but St Croix, they work the best for me. What ever you choose, buy what's made in the USA by people that fish for muskies on their days off...........can't go wrong. Come to think of it, buy everything with that in mind. You can't beat American quality.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)