Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: POSER!
- (Added by: KidDerringer)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Muskie lure copy-cat Q...

Message Subject: Muskie lure copy-cat Q...
Grunt Lures
Posted 9/5/2006 4:49 PM (#207956)
Subject: Muskie lure copy-cat Q...

Ok...I have read and heard the great debate over lure makers that are accused of "copying" others work. My question is, what constitutes a copy-cat in most muskie fishermens eyes? The reason I am asking is that I plan on having some bucktails made and don't want to offend any current lure makers. The individual that will be making these baits for me is an avid muskie fisherman and uses various bucktails and spinnerbaits on a daily/weekly basis and has improvements he wants to make to them. He wants to improve on things like the blades warping, the wire bending due to constant use, clasps wearing out, etc. etc. and he wants to improve upon the overall quality of the terminal tackle used on these baits while also adding some small twists to them. I personally want to offer large bucktails and/or spinnerbaits for under $20 while using top of the line components that won't wear out after one trip to the Lake of the Woods (or other lakes). Now, I have seen some blatant copies out there but to me most baits are just improvements over baits that, for all intensive purposes, were made 20-30-40-and even 50+ years ago. Just curious on others take on the subject.

TIA,
James
http://www.gruntmuskielures.com

Edited by Grunt Lures 9/5/2006 4:50 PM
muskytopwater
Posted 9/5/2006 8:01 PM (#207980 - in reply to #207956)
Subject: RE: Muskie lure copy-cat Q...

James

You hit the nail on the head - for all intents & purposes just about every lure in the modern day can have an origin in the past. For all the hype you would think that the "walk the dog" lure category is new - but it has existed for about 101 years. The bucktail business has been going strong for close to 65 - 75 years, etc..... etc....

These boards are very full of themselves in all the claims of what is new - but really I think the general idea is to add new innovations that stand out. This can be component design, color patterns, materials, packaging, etc...

Good Luck - The bucktail business is pretty tough - it seems like to me there are 5 - 10 companies that shut down every year as most guys end up with more cost in their lure than they expect. I would recommend to just take it slow and let your innovations speak for themselves!!

Good Luck
Grunt Lures
Posted 9/5/2006 9:33 PM (#207990 - in reply to #207980)

muskytopwater,

I agree we are all "copying" the old timers of the past. I think most of them would be proud that they made lures good enough to last this long in design. As for me, my main purpose of course is to make a buck or two and make some lures for myself so I can afford to fish lol (kids cost tooo much!).. And my business tact is to make some lures for the average joe that he can afford. Hence my 16 inch Grunt for under $40 while most are in the $75-$300 range. My friend and I have the same hope for the bucktail line. We would like to keep it under $20 while still using top of the line components that are actually as tough or tougher than those used on the popular baits out right now. Mepps is no problem but, some others are made very well and hence the prices in the $20-$35 range. It all comes down to assembly and time and what your hobby time is worth. Mine is worth a little more these days with two small kids to play with Hence me working with others. If you want to get rish, don't make lures!!! LMAO If you want to have some fun and like to tinker, start a bait company.
Have a good week!
James
http://www.gruntmuskielures.com

GMan
Posted 9/6/2006 9:46 AM (#208050 - in reply to #207956)

I think that's one of the big misconceptions, too. You don't really make much, if any, money making lures at these levels without mass production and marketing networks. Its more of a hobby business. With respect to copying lure designs, sometimes its not even the design, but the custom paint schemes that distinguish lures, other times its better components, and, of course, there are just plain better made lures. If someone doesn't experiment or try to improve on exisitng designs, many of the improvements that have come about would never be available. I also think there is a big distinction between making lures that aren't readily available and going head to head with someone currently selling the same designs. Technically, I know that sort of competition made this country great, but I don't need the aggravation when, again, there is just not enough money in it at my level. Its a touchy subject to some folks. If you're looking for a brightline rule, you won't find it. Just make a good product, treat people fairly, and enjoy the hobby. If your conscience is clear, that should be enough.
Grunt Lures
Posted 9/6/2006 12:32 PM (#208085 - in reply to #208050)

GMan
Nice lure BTW. Looks like you can shoot some good paint on those lures. Like the duck too. Caught anything big on your duck lures? Always been interested in those, just never bought one. Got a big frog lure off of eBay but have not used it much.

James
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)